News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guyute

This is my new favorite waffle recipe stolen from http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/.   I actually double this every weekend and the kids eat them all week for breakfast.
Few notes:   I use King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour, Raw Honey, and Coconut Spray Oil from Trader Joe's to grease the iron.

Whole-Wheat Waffles
Serves: 4 – 5

Ingredients

2 large eggs
    1 ¾ cups milk (I have used everything from skim milk to thick buttermilk...so whatever you have on hand should work)
    ¼ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
    1 tablespoon honey
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour (I used King Arthur's organic white whole-wheat flour)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    ⅛ teaspoon salt
    Warmed 100% pure maple syrup for serving
    Fresh fruit for serving

Instructions

Preheat your waffle iron.
    In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, honey, cinnamon, and baking soda until well combined.
    Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together just until the large lumps disappear.
    When the waffle iron is hot, dab it with a little butter and then ladle some batter onto the center of the iron. Follow the instructions that came with your waffle maker to know how long it should be cooked (mine takes about 3 – 4 minutes each).
    Keep waffles warm until you finish cooking all of them. Top with pure maple syrup and fruit. Enjoy!
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

sophist

Roasted fennel and shallot salad
Lamb Ragu stuffed in green peppers

Salad:
1 pound spinach
1 medium fennel bulb
1 large shallot
1/2 dozen sweet peppers (deseeded and cut into quarters)
1 cup white mushrooms (diced)
1 tbs deli mustard
roasted sesame seeds
2 eggs
1 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
pepper
salt
garlic salt

I sliced the fennel and shallots so that they were still in an "O" shape, and I roasted them at 350 for 10 minutes, I topped with salt, and pepper.  I had tossed them in a very small amount of olive oil.  Wash the spinach, add to a bowl, chop the mushrooms very thin.  And then add to the bowl as well.  Quarter the sweet peppers and add to the bowl as well.  Once the fennel and shallots are roasted, add to the bowl.  I make the dressing last. 

I start by putting the tbsp olive oil in a bowl, then add the garlic salt, then the mustard, sesame seeds, and red wine vineagr.  Crack two eggs into the bowl and beat until the dressing is evenly dispersed and even throughout.  It will be a faint yellow consistency. 

For the entree. 

4 Green Bell Peppers (deseeded and top removed)
1 lbs ground lamb
4 large green tomatoes (diced then pureed)
tomato paste
4 shallots (minced)
fresh garlic (minced)
1 cup diced mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup dry red wine
cheese (to garnish)
bread crumbs (to garnish)

I used a dutch oven.  Add the 2 tbsp of olive oil, and then the minced garlic.  I use about a tbs.  Let the garlic become aromatic and then add the shallots, reduce heat and allow them to sweat.  I add the pound of lamb next.  Cook and drain fat.  I finally add the mushrooms, reduce heat.  I then add the green tomato puree.  I let the tomatoes cook until stewed.  I add the paste.  Let it thicken.  Finally, slowly stir in the cup of red wine, and let sit on low heat for a hour. 

I load up the peppers with the ragu and top with breadcrumbs and cheese, cook on broil for 5 minutes to allow the top of the cheese/breadcrumbs to brown and harden. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Benji inspired me with this. 

Bourbon and Rootbeer glaze

1 cup boubon
12 oz rootbeer
1 tbsp hershey's chocolate unsweetened powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
pinch of cumin
pinch of chipotle powder
pinch of coriander powder
3 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp spicy deli mustard
2 squirts sirachi (or whatever hot sauce you prefer)
1 garlic clove - diced
1 tbsp olive oil 
1 large sweet onion - diced 

I start by heating the olive oil in a sauce pan, I add the garlic first, cook until aromatic, then add the onions.  Let the onions slightly caramelize.  I add all the dry powders, and then the ketchup and deli mustard, then the brown sugar, then I slowly pour in the rootbeer and bring to a boil, I let it thicken slightly before I add the bourbon.  Let this come to a boil and sit for a few minutes.  I reduce the heat and let it cook down about 1/4 the way.  I put it a blender and thickened it by dicing up the onions and garlic. 

It should be a glaze.  I used it on chicken last night and grilled the chicken.  It was wonderful. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Bobafett

Sweet!  Glad it turned out well.  Also recently did a sous vide pork shoulder with lemongrass and ginger beer.  I have been playing with Yukon potatoes cooked in rice wine vinegar.  Dice and cook like they were for potato salad , just use vinegar instead of water.  The inside of potato gets creamy, but the outside stays crunchy.  Paired the lemongrass pork with a potato leek and mushroom hash finished with mint and cilantro.   Lots of butter.  Very good dish.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Igbo

Quote from: Bobafett on August 14, 2013, 12:50:15 PM
Sweet!  Glad it turned out well.  Also recently did a sous vide pork shoulder with lemongrass and ginger beer.  I have been playing with Yukon potatoes cooked in rice wine vinegar.  Dice and cook like they were for potato salad , just use vinegar instead of water.  The inside of potato gets creamy, but the outside stays crunchy.  Paired the lemongrass pork with a potato leek and mushroom hash finished with mint and cilantro.   Lots of butter.  Very good dish.

Are you starting the potatoes in a cold pot of vinegar then bringing it to temp or betting vinegar to a boil then adding the potatoes?

Bobafett

I always start potatoes cold.  If you start with boiling water, some of the starch globules get beat up and the potatoes can become gluey.  This may not affect the dish I was describing, but its a habit!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sophist

Duck Burgers

Okay, so this was one of those recipes that I created in the moment.  I had a hankering for duck in the classic style of pan-roasted with potatoes fried in rendered duck fat.  Upon getting to my local market, the only duck they had was drumettes.  My first audible, fuck it,  make a confit of the wings and eat at some point later this week.  I bought two pounds of wings, Two hours after I had set up the salt "bath" for confit, I said fuck it, and decided I would enjoy the duck same day.  After some thinking, I decided I wanted to make a burger out of the meat, and that smoking the wings would really bring out the salty texture of the wings (from the confit).  I prepped the grill with a drip pan on one side, and the charcoal on the other (I have one of those shitty $30 weber grills). 

I smoked the wings for 15 minutes on each side.  They were cooked medium to medium well.  I shredded the wings. and set the meat aside.  I chopped 1/2 white onion, and set aside a cup of pistachios.  I added woostah sauce, liquid smoke, the pistachios, 6 saltines, 2 tbsp spicy deli mustard, 2 eggs, onions, and the duck meat to a food processor.  Ground it up until chunky (pretty much it looked identical to a crab cake at this point).  I rolled in bread crumbs and I cooked on the stove top in 2 tbsp of olive oil.  I used the rendered duck fat to make fries.  Seasoned with rosemerry, minced garlic, black pepper, cumin, and salt.  Fry the potatoes in the duck fat. 

Garnish for the burger, fresh tomato, arugula, sliced shallots, and a spread that consists of (few drops hot sauce, chiptole powder, mayo, and honey). 

justjezmund

Quote from: PG on November 11, 2012, 10:51:49 PM
Whenever my mom used to make a stew like that she would make spoon bread to serve with it. Highly suggested. I need to get that recipe from her.

yeah i know this is an old post but it seems that dude forgot to let everyone know about spoon bread or "corn puddin" as it is around here.  and shit is a staple in my house whenever I make chili.  I put it under the chili and it's BOMB.  anyway heres how i make it, PG might have a better recipe but like everything else, tweak as you like.

1 box cornbread mix(jiffy,ect...)
1 can creamed style corn
14oz fresh corn (1 can of corn works too, don't drain.)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil

so this comes out to be like cornbread, but more moist and custard-like consistency.  I don't do jalapenos or other peppers like I do with corn bread cause my chili is spicy as fuck, but like I said tweak if you wish and enjoy.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 09, 2013, 02:10:34 PM
Whenever my mom used to make a stew like that she would make spoon bread to serve with it. Highly suggested. I need to get that recipe from her.

yeah i know this is an old post but it seems that dude forgot to let everyone know about spoon bread or "corn puddin" as it is around here.  and shit is a staple in my house whenever I make chili.  I put it under the chili and it's BOMB.  anyway heres how i make it, PG might have a better recipe but like everything else, tweak as you like.

1 can creamed style corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil

so this comes out to be like cornbread, but more moist and custard-like consistency.  I don't do jalapenos or other peppers like I do with corn bread cause my chili is spicy as fuck, but like I said tweak if you wish and enjoy.

My mom's definitely does not have whole corn kernels in it at all. It's more like a corn souffle.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

justjezmund

Quote from: PG on September 09, 2013, 02:44:24 PM

1 can creamed style corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil

My mom's definitely does not have whole corn kernels in it at all. It's more like a corn souffle.

Hmmmmmm interesting.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 09, 2013, 02:46:22 PM

1 can creamed style corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil

Mmmmmmm delicious!

fyp.

justjezmund

Quote from: PG on September 09, 2013, 02:47:21 PM

1 can creamed style corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil

Mmmmmmm delicious!

fyp.

well how bout snagging that recipe up so i could try some of that.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 09, 2013, 03:00:10 PM

1 can creamed style corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil

Mmmmmmm delicious!

fyp.

Emailed mom and she was happy to oblige - cut and pasted here with no edits:

QuoteHere it is --- old and ratty in the box!!!

1 cup milk
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
4 - 5 tablespoons butter (do NOT substitute!!)
1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites

Cook milk and cornmeal until thick -- add salt, butter and sugar and remove from heat.  Add egg yolks one at a time and beat after each.
Beat egg whites into peaks.   Fold into cornmeal mix.   Pour into buttered (Pam) souffle dish or 6X8X2 pan.
Bake 35-40 min. at 375.

Enjoy!!!!

justjezmund

Fuck I forgot to put the three eggs in my recipe. Good thing I don't do that shit for a living. :roll:
Thanks pg for that I gotta try.

Bobafett

Quote from: PG on September 09, 2013, 05:41:22 PM
Quote from: JustJezmund on September 09, 2013, 03:00:10 PM

1 can creamed style corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil

Mmmmmmm delicious!

fyp.

Emailed mom and she was happy to oblige - cut and pasted here with no edits:

QuoteHere it is --- old and ratty in the box!!!

1 cup milk
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
4 - 5 tablespoons butter (do NOT substitute!!)
1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites

Cook milk and cornmeal until thick -- add salt, butter and sugar and remove from heat.  Add egg yolks one at a time and beat after each.
Beat egg whites into peaks.   Fold into cornmeal mix.   Pour into buttered (Pam) souffle dish or 6X8X2 pan.
Bake 35-40 min. at 375.

Enjoy!!!!

very much a souffle! I'm sure its a delicious diving board for experimentation...