News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Quote from: metalzone58 on October 22, 2007, 08:01:26 PM
Quote from: jephrey on October 19, 2007, 11:46:39 PM
alright, it's fall...  Although I've been eating 1-2 bowls of chili per week since January (typically a bowl with a pale ale at the Onion pub for lunch on Wednesday) and then if I've made it for dinner, it's finally time to break out the recipe that I've been recently adhering to...

1lb ground beef
1/4 to 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
1 small to medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
S+P to taste

fry those things up in the bottom of the stock pot...  Drain only some of the grease.

After the onions are translucent and the beef is at least mostly cooked add (these are total approximations)
6oz of a well hopped IPA or red or brown ale (I've done it with all 3 to good success)
1T brown sugar
1/2 t curry powder
1t oregano
1/4t paprika
1/4t cayenne
1/4t red pepper flakes
about 8 dried chopped chili peppers
1 habanero pepper
a grip of chopped fresh cilantro
3/4t cumin

then do up the tomatoes, I go with (these are the normal 14 or so ounce cans)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce or puree'd tomatoes
1 "mini can" of tomato paste (you know what I'm talkin'bout)

Simmer for a LONG time -- HOURS.  Then add

1/2 can corn
3/4 can black beans
1 can kidney beans (dark or light don't matter, they're both pink on the inside  :wink: )

Simmer for another half hour.  DONE

Best served with sweet cream butter and sourdough bread, but oyster crackers work too.

garnish with chopped green onions and cheddar.

My thoughts on chili and this recipe in particular...

This recipe is for pretty spicy chili.  You could remove the habanero or some of the chili peppers or cayenne or pepper flakes to reduce the heat (I'd start with the flakes and cayenne because the habanero and chili peppers provide more flavor that you want in this chili.)  The poblano pepper and cilantro along with the cumin give it a Mexican feel...  When you add the cilantro, it's a great scent...  I go with corn and black beans just for flair but I've made it without them and the chili has been good.  The beer is necessary and when you add it, you can really tell how it aids the flavor...  Get a heavily hopped beer because that will impart the most.  This must be eaten with a beer in hand.  Best is to drink the beer you added to the chili when you eat it.  So awesome.

Alterations...  Don't be afraid to add leftover salsa, giardiniera, taco sauce, jalapenos, tabasco, chulula, or anything else you have laying around.

I know that many have their own recipe that they swear by, and this ever-changing one is the one that I dig the most.

Tonight's chili was made with Lagunitas Imperial Red (which is my new favorite red ale - move over cascazilla) and it is superb.

I cooked this yesterday and it came out great, I used chilli powder instead of cayenne, peak organics IPA, and added more beans

This is on tap for tomorrows adventures.  Gonna have to print out the recipie some time so that I don't have to search through this thread every time, though I damn near have it memorized I've made it so many times.

sophist

I made chili last night.  I kept it super simple. 

1 lbs grassfed beef
2 cans (1 can dark kidney beans and 1 can black beans) beans
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
1 white onion
small can low sodium tomato paste
paprika
cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes
cumin
salt
pepper

I cooked the grassfed beef in a skillet, I reserved about a teaspoon of the fat and used that instead of olive oil.  I diced the onion, added the grassfed beef fat into a dutch oven.  sauteed the onion, then added the cooked beef.  I use a colander to strain the fat while cooking the beef.  I usually triple strain to remove as much fat as possible.  I do this as the beef is 1/3 brown, 1/2 brown, and then at the end of cooking the beef.  Much easier than tilting a skillet and trying to keep the beef in the skillet while straining. 

With the onions cooked, I add the beef.  Next I add the tomatoes.  I let them stew.  I remove from heat and use my Immersion blender to puree the mixture.  I like the beef being thin, yet the tomatoes still somewhat chunky.  I return to the dutch oven to the stove top.  I add the tomato paste, stir, and let thicken.  I add the beans.  I then season with cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.  Let sit for 45 minutes to one hour on low. 

I garnish with a little cheese. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

gonna grill some kabobs this week.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sophist on October 15, 2013, 09:37:37 AM

1 lbs grassfed beef
1 white onion
paprika
cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes
cumin
salt
pepper

I cooked the grassfed beef in a skillet, I reserved about a teaspoon of the fat and used that instead of olive oil.  I diced the onion, added the grassfed beef fat into a dutch oven.  sauteed the onion, then added the cooked beef.  I use a colander to strain the fat while cooking the beef.  I usually triple strain to remove as much fat as possible.  I do this as the beef is 1/3 brown, 1/2 brown, and then at the end of cooking the beef.  Much easier than tilting a skillet and trying to keep the beef in the skillet while straining. 

With the onions cooked, I add the beef.  Next I add the tomatoes.  I let them stew.  I remove from heat and use my Immersion blender to puree the mixture.  I like the beef being thin, yet the tomatoes still somewhat chunky.  I return to the dutch oven to the stove top.  I add the tomato paste, stir, and let thicken.  I add the beans.  I then season with cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.  Let sit for 45 minutes to one hour on low. 

Sounds pretty good - most Texans will tell you beans don't belong in chili, but you're not in Texas so can ignore them. I use hominy instead of beans in my chili. Gives you that bean texture without the beans. Also, I use bison instead of beef.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sophist

Quote from: PG on October 15, 2013, 09:50:12 AM
Quote from: sophist on October 15, 2013, 09:37:37 AM

1 lbs grassfed beef
1 white onion
paprika
cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes
cumin
salt
pepper

Sounds pretty good - most Texans will tell you beans don't belong in chili, but you're not in Texas so can ignore them. I use hominy instead of beans in my chili. Gives you that bean texture without the beans. Also, I use bison instead of beef.
I've made bison and venison chili before.  I really like both.  This was for the lady though.  She prefers a simple, hearty, beef chili as her preferred style. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Once it's in chili, I really can't tell the difference between bison and beef... venison is another story... a yummy story...

sophist

I came up with this last night. 

Mandarin Orange and Green Pepper Salsa

1 12 ounce can Mandarin oranges (drain off 1/2 the reserved juice)
1 Green Pepper
1/2 cup cilantro (chopped and stems removed)
salt
1/2 white onion (diced)

Put it all in a blender and puree.  I put it on a chicken burrito.  Really good way to change it up from your typical tomato based salsa.  I spiced the chicken more than usual to counter the sweetness of the salsa.   

sophist

I decided spur of the moment yesterday, I wanted to make a mole sauce.  And after some additional thought, decided I would pair it with a steak plus rice and black beans. 

Mole sauce: 

2 tbsp unsweetened dark chocolate
2 tbsp chiptole chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
salt
pepper
diced onions
diced green pepper
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 founders ipa beer

I put everything in a dutch oven, mixed together, and cooked on low for 4 hours.  I pureed the sauce before serving. 

Result: 

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on December 09, 2013, 10:44:46 AM
I decided spur of the moment yesterday, I wanted to make a mole sauce.  And after some additional thought, decided I would pair it with a steak plus rice and black beans. 

Mole sauce: 

2 tbsp unsweetened dark chocolate
2 tbsp chiptole chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
salt
pepper
diced onions
diced green pepper
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 founders ipa beer

I put everything in a dutch oven, mixed together, and cooked on low for 4 hours.  I pureed the sauce before serving. 

Result: 

Quote from: McGrupp on March 15, 2013, 11:08:26 AM

Looks tasty dude.

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Reusing an old gif and an old trolling bit.  YAWN. 

McGrupp

Well it happens to be the best gif in the history of the internets...

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on December 16, 2013, 03:17:29 PM
and you happen to be the laziest mother fucker on the internet.  Perfect fit'd

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on December 16, 2013, 03:20:32 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on December 16, 2013, 03:17:29 PM
and you happen to be the laziest mother fucker on the internet.  Perfect fit'd

PIE-GUY

Wanna get the whole family fucked up this Christmas? May I suggest Mingus's eggnog recipe:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/12/charles_mingus_eggnog.php

rowjimmy

You can find the recipe but here's what I made for Sunday breakfast a couple weeks ago:

(my photos)