News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster Nutbag

(10 - 12 pasilla chili's) - grill them until blackened, peal them, then sautee` in butter....then put them in a blender with a (12 oz. container of sour cream) also add (2 teaspoons of chicken bullion powder), this is the sauce....then cook (1lb. of boneless chicken breasts), and cut up into chunks...then cook (1lb.of penne noodles)...mix together and top it off with (monterey jack cheese)....this is a completly awesome southwest dish that will have a spicey food meat eaters mouth watering!!!! please try and enjoy....
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

jedifunk

wow, that sounds really good... might just do that tonight
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

McGrupp

Haven't sifted through all of these but I plan to -- can't imagine we dont have some dank food cooking from us paugers.

Here's a college inspired recipe that has been very good to me! (and it's easy and fast)

Shredded chicken black bean-potato fajitas

Ingredients
3 Chicken Breasts
1 Packet of Taco Seasoning
1 Can of Black Beans
1 Green Pepper
A white onion
Some potatoes
Some olive oil
Black Pepper
Tortillas (about 6)

What you do
Cut the potatoes (however much you want) up into small piece (either round or square, whatever), put them in a pan with a small amount of olive oil on medium-low heat, covered. Chop up the green pepper and the onion (I usually go heavy on the vegetables, because veggies are cheap and fill you up...and they're good for you!), and throw the veggies into the pan with the potatoes (I like to cut them up long-style).

Chop up each chicken breast into three chunks (make sure they're completely thawed if you froze them). Throw them into a pot of boiling water, and keep them boiling until they're white all the way thru (no pinkness! usually this takes like 35 min). Once the chicken is cooked, take the pieces out of the water, get two forks, and start shredding (go in the direction of the "Grain" of the meat, you'll figure it out real fast!) Put the shredded chicken in a bowl, and mix up 1 package of taco seasoning (to taste) very well with the chicken. Once the chicken is flavored, put it in with the potatoes and veggies. If the potatoes aren't done cooking yet, wait til they're done. The veggies should be done. Whenever you add the chicken, add the can of black beans, and some pepper to taste.

Now you're pretty much done, just heat up some tortillas and you've got the fixins for a DANK burrito, or a fajita, or whatever.

This will feed 3 VERY hungry stoners, with plenty of leftovers for breakfast  :-D!

Enjoy!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

lifeboy13

Quote from: jephrey on May 29, 2006, 10:01:50 PM
I just found this and will try it in the next month. Sounds awesome.

Acadian peppered shrimp

3lbs shrimp in shell
3/4C Butter (sweet cream, salted)
3/4C Olive Oil
3cloves garlic minced
2 bay leaves
1/2t rosemary
1/2t oregano
1/2t cayenne
1/2t salt
1/4t nutmeg
1/2t paprika
5t black pepper (suprisingly, cooking with black pepper adds a ton more kick than adding it after.  this ought to add a very nice punch)
2t fresh lemon juice, not that canned shit you fucking fascist (Will anyone get this reference?)

melt butter in heavy frying pan and cook over medium heat until sauce is a light golden color (I'll use a wok).  Drop in shrimp and cook for about 6 minutes per side (Just until they're pink).  Serve at once as peel and eat, and spoon leftover sauce on each portion.  Serve with french bread to sop up the sauce.

I can't wait.  Results to follow in a couple weeks.

Jephrey
Looks good, but too me as a cook. I think you might even flare it up a notch higher with Ginger instead of the Nutmeg.  or as a good alternative if you don't like Nutmeg.  Nice looking recipe though.

Good Day, Every Day!

lifeboy13

Isreali Baked Chicken

Season your chicken lightly with whatever you prefer.

Mix the following to a honey like thickness depending on how much you need

French dressing - 1/2 a cup
Apricot Jam      - small jar 6oz 
onion soup mix  - maybe half a packet, but use your common sense here

Bake Chicken about 35 - 40 minutes Brush or spoon and spread the glaze over  the chicken and bake for another 10 miutes to finish it off.

quick and easy, more than enough glaze for 2 chickens.
Good Day, Every Day!

jephrey

After looking at it, it seems very simple, but I love my mom's NE clam chowder.  And after looking at it again before posting, it looks even simpler, but maybe that's why I like it....  Lotsa pepper for me...

Any suggestions from some of you food aficionados on particular spices (like I wonder if something like nutmeg or anise would be good in something this simple)

2 cans  (7 oz) oysters minced - I'm going WHOLE!!!
1 C. diced Celery
1 C. diced Potato
1 C. diced onion

1 stick butter, melted
¾ C. Flour
1 quart half and half (I use 2 C. half and half and 2 C. skim milk) - Jephrey is going with 4C 2%.

1 ½ t. sugar
½ t. salt
dash of pepper

Drain juice of clams into a saucepan.  Add celery, potato and onion.  Simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

In another saucepan melt butter then add flour and stir.  When fully mixed slowly stir in half and half, stirring constantly till all is added.  Cook over medium heat till thick.   (Microwave works great too, just do 3 minute increments and whisk after each 3 minutes of cooking time.

Add vegetables to thickened cream mixture.
Add sugar, salt and pepper.   
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mbw

a little anise is always a good thing

jephrey

I don't know if I gave my Chicken Paprikash recipe before...

My grandma was part Czech, and the one dish that was as "different" as I can think is this...  It's basically chicken in a sauce that consists of a shit-ton of paprika, mustard seed, and other "indian" style stuff (and condensed milk, which is similar but different to the yoghurt that many indian recipes call for).  You also stir up your own flour/eggs/milk to make homemade noodles which are AWESOME even though they're basic too.  The final part is a cool cucumber cream sauce (like tsatsiki (sp?) somewhat)...  I like the noodles and chicken so much, I don't make the sauce, but this time, I'm doing it up.  I'll try to get pics and will post the recipe along with it...  I dare anyone to try it.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

Quotea little anise is always a good thing

do I need a sarcasm detector, or...  :lol:

Bobafett

FWIW...i do a ton! of NE Clam Chowder (about 4 gal every 2 days) and it is really a very simple recipe to do, with knockout tastes...with the 2% milk you may need to up the roux just a bit (flour and butter mix) and i usually add some bacon and bacon fat to mine...my favorite herb to add is dill, but a little toasted ground anise seed would work wonderfully with the dill, as they both are related in flavor, with anise being a bit more earthy and dill being a bit on the higher "liquorish" taste profile.  do it up!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Mr Minor

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 09, 2008, 11:27:02 PM
a little anise is always a good thing

I knew a girl in high school named Anise, and yes, a little Anise was a good thing.   :wink:

jephrey

Here's the deal

saute in a stock pot
1 medium onion
2T butter
1T paprika
1t mustard seed

salt and pepper a fryer chicken (legs thighs breasts) and drop it in the saute

add about 1t salt and 1t pepper and 2.5 OZ of paprika (yes, it's about a jar and a half) and about a cup of water. (It'll seem dry, but that's ok)

boil, then reduce and simmer for an hour or more covered.  Break up the chicken along the way.

reduce to keep warm and add a can of condensed milk...

Noodles
4C flour, 3 eggs, water until it's sticky but manageable, 1t salt.

Boil up saltwater and drop strips of the noodles in there.  I hold the bowl until the dough is just over the edge and I scrape a strip into the water.  It took me an hour and a half to do it.

Watch out for bones.

The cucumber is something like 3 cucumbers peeled and sliced thin (2mm) soaked in saltwater and squeezed out then add some vinegar and 1/4 can condensed milk, salt and maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, eat it up!

----------------

I will try the dill this time on the chowder, thanks for the tips!  You ever put corn in it too?

Bobafett

i haven't done the corn in the Clam chowder, but i have made a green chile chicken cheddar corn chowder just to f#@k with the waitresses at the table!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

shoreline99

that sounds great. recipe?
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

nab

Just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone is in a quandary over what to fix today.  I'll be making jephrey's chili.  Thanks again jephrey. :beers:

Quote from: jephrey on October 19, 2007, 11:46:39 PM
alright, it's fall...  Although I've been eating 1-2 bowls of chili per week since January (typically a bowl with a pale ale at the Onion pub for lunch on Wednesday) and then if I've made it for dinner, it's finally time to break out the recipe that I've been recently adhering to...

1lb ground beef
1/4 to 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
1 small to medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
S+P to taste

fry those things up in the bottom of the stock pot...  Drain only some of the grease.

After the onions are translucent and the beef is at least mostly cooked add (these are total approximations)
6oz of a well hopped IPA or red or brown ale (I've done it with all 3 to good success)
1T brown sugar
1/2 t curry powder
1t oregano
1/4t paprika
1/4t cayenne
1/4t red pepper flakes
about 8 dried chopped chili peppers
1 habanero pepper
a grip of chopped fresh cilantro
3/4t cumin

then do up the tomatoes, I go with (these are the normal 14 or so ounce cans)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce or puree'd tomatoes
1 "mini can" of tomato paste (you know what I'm talkin'bout)

Simmer for a LONG time -- HOURS.  Then add

1/2 can corn
3/4 can black beans
1 can kidney beans (dark or light don't matter, they're both pink on the inside  :wink: )

Simmer for another half hour.  DONE

Best served with sweet cream butter and sourdough bread, but oyster crackers work too.

garnish with chopped green onions and cheddar.

My thoughts on chili and this recipe in particular...

This recipe is for pretty spicy chili.  You could remove the habanero or some of the chili peppers or cayenne or pepper flakes to reduce the heat (I'd start with the flakes and cayenne because the habanero and chili peppers provide more flavor that you want in this chili.)  The poblano pepper and cilantro along with the cumin give it a Mexican feel...  When you add the cilantro, it's a great scent...  I go with corn and black beans just for flair but I've made it without them and the chili has been good.  The beer is necessary and when you add it, you can really tell how it aids the flavor...  Get a heavily hopped beer because that will impart the most.  This must be eaten with a beer in hand.  Best is to drink the beer you added to the chili when you eat it.  So awesome.

Alterations...  Don't be afraid to add leftover salsa, giardiniera, taco sauce, jalapenos, tabasco, chulula, or anything else you have laying around.

I know that many have their own recipe that they swear by, and this ever-changing one is the one that I dig the most.

Tonight's chili was made with Lagunitas Imperial Red (which is my new favorite red ale - move over cascazilla) and it is superb.