News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish Setlists...

Started by WhatstheUse?, June 05, 2006, 03:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

I think they learned the new tunes and infused them whenever based on key, whatever.

:-D

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: susep73 on June 05, 2006, 10:32:00 PM
faux I think you jumped on before this:

http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,2456.0.html

check it

:mrgreen:

Thanks.  I don't know how I feel about this.  Fall '97 was awesome....to be sure...but so was Summer '98.  They are really two differant types of monsters to me.

I do know that I'm in the minority with ItsNotAnExperience who believes that Summer '97 blows away Fall '97.

Summer '97 is one of a CLASSIC tour with almost no filler.  While Fall '97 was great...it is just slightly edged out by the summer of love by me (especially considering what happened that summer in Europe).

susep

Its all epic imm because of the constant metamorphosis

fauxpaxfauxreal

Back on the subject of Setlists...

Phish didn't strictly stop using setlists starting in 1997.  In 1995, Trey started carrying a "Tune List" on stage.  This is a list of "possibly played tunes".  Basically the tunes that were more likely to be played at a show were listed more near the top.  The tunes that were least likely to be played were at the bottom.  There were always more tunes listed on the list than they had time to play.

Also, occasionally at shows, Trey would right up a setlist based on how he felt.

Perhaps a setlist was not used at Bonner Springs...but a "Tune List" most definitely was.

I'm almost 90 percent sure the Alpine Valley show had a proper setlist...the set construction seems quite organized.

You better believe that Hampton '97's first set was listed.

Etc.

Point being, the band had an "idea" of what they were going to play on a certain night....if not a setlist on some nights.  They definitely did think about what they were going to play (all of the one off covers were learned prior to the show)...

Also, if you ever were near the sbd area....you may have noted that both Paul and Chris had the tune lists...and on the nights when there was a setlist they had a setlist.  (Atlanta 98 featured what appeared to be a fusion of the two...5-6 songs in the first set and 5-6 songs in the second set were listed as DEFINITELY being played, with an approximate area of their being played....the rest of the tunes were listed below...(THEY DID NOT PLAY ALUMNI BLUES WHICH WAS ON THE SHEET!)

fauxpaxfauxreal

Oh yeah...also, as a humorous sidenote...on a piece of paper taped to the light board next to the "songlist" was writen in huge letters "NO, I DO NOT KNOW THE NAME OF THIS SONG" LOL.  I guess some "idiot" tapers, had been harrasing CK5 when he needed to do his job.

susep

I also notice that Trey would repeat setlists at a specific venue or city case in point:

05-23-94 Civic Auditorium, Portland, OR 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Sample in a Jar, Foam, Fee-> Maze, The Horse-> Silent in the Morning, Julius, Reba, Cavern

2: Wilson, Run Like an Antelope, If I Could, Sparkle, Punch You in the Eye, You Enjoy Myself*, Possum

E: Ginseng Sullivan, Amazing Grace, Highway to Hell

*With "Psycho Killer" (Talking Heads) vocal jam.

10-05-95 Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Ha Ha Ha, Fog That Surrounds, The Horse-> Silent in the Morning, Cars Trucks Buses, Strange Design, The Divided Sky, Acoustic Army, Julius, Suzy Greenberg

2: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Runaway Jim, Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Famous Mockingbird, Scent of a Mule, Cavern, David Bowie, Lifeboy, Amazing Grace

E: While My Guitar Gently Weeps

11-24-96 Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR

1: Poor Heart, AC/DC Bag, All Things Reconsidered, Bouncing Around the Room, Reba, Character Zero, Strange Design-> Taste, I Didn't Know*, Sample in a Jar, Run Like An Antelope

2: Also Sprach Zarathustra-> Sparkle-> David Bowie, A Day in the Life, You Enjoy Myself, Loving Cup, Suzy Greenberg

E: Ginseng Sullivan, Cavern

*With "Because" (The Beatles) tease.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Yeah, apparantly Trey was big on researching the setlists/shows that had been played at the venue/city previously and would often craft the setlist with the history of the venue in mind.

Which is probably why Runaway Jim was played early on in 7/22/97 (The previous Walnut Creek show was 6/16/95 with the HUGE Runaway JAM!)

gainesvillegreen

Good to see lots of folks on tonight!

That Bag from 11/24/96 Portland sizzles!  Short, but oh so sweet...

Glad to see some favoritism for Summer '97...I got to see lots on that tour.  Including Alpine.  Do you think they had the lie down on their backs and peddle in the air skit planned out beforehand?   :-D

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on June 06, 2006, 12:10:28 AM
Good to see lots of folks on tonight!

That Bag from 11/24/96 Portland sizzles!  Short, but oh so sweet...

Glad to see some favoritism for Summer '97...I got to see lots on that tour.  Including Alpine.  Do you think they had the lie down on their backs and peddle in the air skit planned out beforehand?   :-D

What song was this during?  They've done it during Guelah and Possum before (I assume it was Mike and Trey!).

And I don't think I've heard a bad night played on Summer '97.

gainesvillegreen

Scent I believe. 

Damn, I don't think I was that fucked up?  :-)

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on June 06, 2006, 12:15:58 AM
Scent I believe. 

Damn, I don't think I was that fucked up?  :-)

Heh.  Probably not.... but they do enjoy their antics during scent :)

gainesvillegreen

Did they do that in 1996 then?  I could have sworn they did that in '97..

fauxpaxfauxreal

NO!!! I meant they didn't plan it probably.

They did however play it with the antics of which you speak!

gainesvillegreen

Thank the lord!  I was really going to have to do some soul searching if I was remembering it incorrectly!

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 05, 2006, 10:44:00 PM
Quote from: susep73 on June 05, 2006, 10:32:00 PM
faux I think you jumped on before this:

http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,2456.0.html

check it

:mrgreen:

Thanks.  I don't know how I feel about this.  Fall '97 was awesome....to be sure...but so was Summer '98.  They are really two differant types of monsters to me.

I do know that I'm in the minority with ItsNotAnExperience who believes that Summer '97 blows away Fall '97.

Summer '97 is one of a CLASSIC tour with almost no filler.  While Fall '97 was great...it is just slightly edged out by the summer of love by me (especially considering what happened that summer in Europe).

no doubt - funk and co. will most likely have us "taken out" b/c of this!!!