News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W06: 10-02-1999 Target Center, Minneapolis, MN

Started by cactusfan, June 19, 2006, 02:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

so yes indeed, there is a new show this week, and here it is.
at least in name.
as far as actually getting out the music, there may be a slight delay.
mr. jedi, if you could post the mp3s, it would be much appreciated.
and if anyone at all-- and indeed, i've asked a few of you already-- has shns they can seed, that sure would be great.

the short version of why i picked this show: it kicks ass and it's one of my favorites.
with any luck, you'll actually all be able to hear it...

cactusfan

well.
i see this is going over like a lead zeppelin, as the saying goes.

if anyone can tell me how to zip up a bunch of files into one, that i may post it on sendspace, i have a copy of the show.

otherwise.... i guess we're out of luck with this one.... alas...

August

just rip the discs.
zip them with a program like winzip or stuffit.
name each set and UL to sendspace.
just put the link to each set (or one file if you are gonna do the whole show in one file)
and put your email address in the blank where it says email address.
then wait for it to UL and post the link(s).
a

disco

this was my wifes first show, good stuff in here, I'd love to grab those shn's whenever they're found
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

jedifunk

sorry, cactus, i'm on a working vacation, but i'll try to get to it tomorrow...  great pic!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

cactusfan

well okay.
due to an excess of brain damage, i've only managed to get the show on sendspace the simple but slightly annoying way of having each set as one long song.

so here's set I:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ny4tk9

set II except for the last song:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vbtdiw

last song of set II + encore:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9j893c

also, it sounds like whatapiper will be able to get the shns up sometime soon.

:banana:

whatapiper

here you go cactusfan
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=26381
http://bt.etree.org/download.php/26381/ph1999-10-02.minneapolis.schoeps.shn.torrent
http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=13727

this 2nd set smokes. the tweezer is just nasty...seriously, if anyone hasnt heard this one yet, youre in for a ride! the piper is rockin pretty hard too, then followed by a YEM...goodnight. :wink: :phish:

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

jephrey

Looking good peeps.  I'll have my review up today!  Finally back on track.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

Llama...  A less seen opener in 99, but not one of my favorite songs.  However, it does start the show off on an energetic note.

Wolfman's...  I liked it but it seems cut short.

PYITE...  Seemed standard, I almost forgot I was listening to music.

Quinn...  I've always liked this song, but nothing special

Poor Heart...  Standard here

Roggae...  Another chill standard

Melt...  Starts and ends a little slower feeling.  The jam is incredible very nice although there's a slight miscue going into the ending theme.  This is the set highlight!

Coil...  It's not one of my favorites for some reason, but I could never complain because I always end up liking it.  Maybe its partially because it usually ends a set.  This one was well played

Loving Cup...  Standard...

Set 1.  Although I wasn't thrilled Wolfman's and Melt were very good.

Tweezer.  I always say that any set that starts with tweezer is good set.  I'm definitely into how this one starts.  Sweet groove into...

On Your Way Down...  Page haters beware.  You can't replace his voice, not to mention the perfect organ playing.  I really really really like this.  So chill.  Good song.

Piper...  HOT.  Very intense.

YEM...  Very cool bass, and a cool bit of funk.  they're giving each other so much space around the 1hr of the set mark.  I really like this YEM.  I suppose it comes up more in 99 thru 04, but giving Mike a bass solo is cool...  Whoa, then Page with some killer funk and Trey adding the effect.  Now that's pure white-guy funk.  this is awesome.

Frankenstein...  Great placement and it sounded good.  This song is always good after a good set.

Waste...  Standard, but It's a wind down here.  I prefer the energy high all the way through the tweeprise...

WMGGW...  Same as previous, I wish this one built up a bit and would flow a bit better into >

Reprise.  Good

Second set is really good.  I'd rate this one very high.  It's got so much that's good, and nothing's overdone.

Well played boys!

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

another one of my favorite shows!
this was part of a stack of shows i made my buddy a few months back as part of the "overlooked series"......
also, if anyone ever needs the compressed sets for their weekly pick, let me know.
when you were having trouble,cactusfan, my CD drive was all fucked up and couldn't help you out........sorry bout that.but for future reference let me know to those having picks coming up....

Llama-good opener.llama to me is always pretty good, except for alot of later versions where it was alot of noise and MAYBE they come back in nicely at the end.alot of those versions, i always ask myself the same question "when did llama become..THIS?".this one was good.the first half of the trey solo was reversed and then was pretty rad.
Wolfman-good version.not always a big fan of wolf, but this one did its job.nothing to spectacular in this one, but was very solid and concise.
PYITE-one of my favorite versions of this.trey is doing the tap-tempo one note loop in the intro(a la heavy things).extended intro was really meaty.played very well for a PYITE
Quinn-always a kickdown.played EXTREMELY well, especially for a song that is quite rare.like this song alot.
Heart-GREAT Page solo.nice version.
Roggae-i am a roggae fan.this one is great.i love the little interlude section in the middle where mike plays alot of notes.sometimes he puts a delay on, but this one was REALLY GOOD.surprisingly,1-4-03 is really good, in the middle,then is COMPLETELY butchered from then on.......
Split-the composed part was really tight and played at the right tempo which really makes it very funky in a subtle way.the jam kicks off with a Dee-lish loop from trey.the jam is cool, but doesn't do all that much, but is very appropriate for this version.the band intros at the end reveal how much fun they are having.
Coil-always cool.i love when they close a set with it and leave page out there.this was assumed to be the closer, but no.......
Cup-cup is always cool.take it or leave it kind of song for me.it was cool though to throw it in as an extra to close to set.

Tweezer-i base alot of my tweezers on the assumption of...if they nail the part after Uncle Ebeneezer, it is going to be good.and they did!again, this version is not over the top, but does contain alot of solid playing throughout.especially the beginning of the jam, mike and fish are hooked up in accentuating each others hits, which was cool.
Way Down-KICK DOWN!this is definitely the best version of this song that phish has ever played.super solid and bluesy.i wish page could have been up a little in the mix for his solo, is all.awesome tune!
Piper-not the biggest of piper fans, this one is good, especially towards the very end, where it gets spacey/funky......long version
YEM-YEM is cool.i like when they start the vocal jam over the jam instead of stopping and coming in with the WUDMTF.....also, another song you would assume would close the set....but no...
Frank-always killer......definitely end of the set....but no!!.....
Waste-i like waste, too.the only time i was really let down by waste placement was 12-11-97.but now, listening back, enjoy it alot.great version here.
WMGGW-not a big fan of this.....good version into reprise....

i give this show my second A!
great pick, cactus!
hopefully some people are hearing this for the first time and are being blown away.
a

susep

Set 2(partial) review:

Tweezer>jam begins at 4:56>things open up nicely, I can hear how the 30Dec.99 version was influenced by this one>ambient groove or even house ambient>around 7:00 the jam swings more before Trey two chords and lets fly a major loop at 7:48>Mike is laying down some nice fat lines before he joins Trey in a neat passage>the telepathy continues>Page on the clav but very subtle>Trey begins a backwards guitar series, Fish picking up steam>Trey playing second octave, lots of good sustain>the jamming here isn't particularly exploratory but it is high energy>jam mellowing at 13:00, Trey's loop siren and collective chill outro is cool>Fish riding his cymbals>serene.

Piper>Trey starts ripping it up, again w/ his Boomerang after the chord progression, the crowd cheering in delight>things heat up fast, Fish is inspired>quick return to lyrics/chords>immediately back into lift-off>Trey funking w/ leads>fast 2 chord jam, crowd approves>Trey howls>Page very minimal>Mike and Fish laying it out>primal Anastasio>back into chords but not for very long>2 chord alternating measures of leads>spacey effect by Trey>riff, tease?>I've heard this riff but ultimately I think it is a "Piper" riff>heard again on 26July03 bombastic Piper>riff decaying, 14:06>transition>Trey chording, jam opening up more>another riff emerges>again more 2 chord jamming>Page adding>BOAF jam i.e. 12Dec.97>Trey mixing his rythym playing up nicely>hits wha>worm funk>Mike looking for a switch>jam sounds more major>nice auditory collage>squiggy sounds over Trey's loop w/resounding Mike outro>classic  :phish:>errie tones>excellent version(this version w/ its 2 chord rythym jams and alternating solos reminds me of  :syf: '72 Fall Playing In The Band versions).

YEM>tight opening>big fan of Nirvana segment(the trippy part where Trey plays w/ his volume pedal)>Trey chords in at 11:17>more 2 chord jamming but a bit chiller>crowd clapping>cool Mike>Page claving>Trey leading>cool jam>Fish sounding steady, robotic but w/ soul>Trey loose on the axe>jam sounding laughter>tightness>nice Mike, all over it>Trey ripping it up>one note sustain into tripped out effect into vocal jam.

WMGGW>sweet tune>howling leads by Lt. A>nice vibrato>Harrison/Clapton would be impressed because well Trey smokes Clapton :-P>

Overall:  Decent set.  Tweezer had some interesting jamming, Piper was probably the highlight of the show, another solid '99 YEM, classic encore  of Guitar Gently.

Grade: B+

thelot

Big thanks to Carrion Crow and Co. for making these great fob's availble! :beers:

On to the show...

Set 1:
Llama (nice version)
PYITE> (cool intro)
Quinn (you gotta love when they play Quinn, would've enjoyed it more if they jammed this one out a bit.)
Split Open (highlight of the set for me, good version)

Set 2:
Tweezer> (good version)
On Your Way Down> (nice segue out of Tweezer, solid version)
Piper> (solid version, set highlight for me.)
YEM (good version)

Nice show. I give it a 4.0 out of 5 for this tour.

Alumni

Set I

intro - after hearing the fades on A Live One, all other intros just seem tame to me :( :-D

Llama - really enjoy this as an opener. Solid version.

Wolfman's - honestly, not my favorite jam vehicle. I'd rather get it in the first set. This version is just about right for my tastes.

PYITE - Extended intro was fun. Well-played.

Quinn - Seems like others dig this one more than I do. Again, well-played.

Heart, Roggae - what you'd expect. No more, but no less, either.

Split - easily the set 1 highlight for me. Looks like there's a consensus forming here . . .

Coil - Huh? I dunno. I always like a good coil, but it didn't seem to follow after melt. This song always makes me nostalgic for (say) '94, when Page was nearly always money for the outro. This one *again* is well-played, though

Cup - this is more like what I anticipated after Melt. I'll say it again . . .

"Well-played" sums up this set perfectly for me. Nothing bowled me over (although Melt was great). Just a solid, clean first set of phish.

Set II

Tweezer - Not a huge fan of the first 1/2 to 2/3 of this one, but it grew into a pretty seet jam
Down - Saw this coming a mile away.  :-P j/k this one came outta nowhere. *Really* enjoyed it.
Piper - Like some middle to later Antelopes, I think this song someftimes suffers from the "too much is never enough" treatment. I like it, and I like this version. But I'd like it even better at 12-15 mins. Just my $.02
YEM - Some of the 99 YEMs I've heard have been a little mellow for my tastes, but this one doesn't disappoint. Nice version. Looks like a 4-song set
Frankestein - but no! This one's always welcome.
Waste - . . . and this set's gone to overtime. I don't ever get too excited over this song, but it beats an encore break :)
WMGGW - Not my favorite cover, but I like this version. Better than the WMGGW encore w/Warren Haynes I saw in 95. And it's an unexpected treat, b/c I was expecting
Reprise - See Frankenstein

High-energy show. Nice pick :beers:

What's up with those post-set narrations?!?
Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

Another strong show  :-)
Set 1
Llama - good opener
Wolfman's - short and sweet. good jam, could have heard more
PYTE
Quinn - gotta love Dylan covers, liked Trey's solo
Poor Heart
Roggae - nice middle section, strong version of an OK song
Split - Best of show. great, spacey jam.
coil - always good
Cup - always good

Set 2
Tweezer- takes a while to get going but evolves into a great jam
On your way down - great song, great version. soulful work by Trey. compares nicely with Little Feat's version of this
Piper - good version although far from my favorite. Manteca tease in the last portion. Probably could have ended this one sooner, IMO
YEM -great Nirvana section, once again, Cactus rules the jam
Frankenstein - usual
Waste - enjoy this tune, Trey plays it well
WMMGW - see Waste
Tweeprise

Overall, strong show, well played. some rarities which is always nice. B+
Thanks cactusfan  :beers:

Also, thanks whatapiper for the seed :)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

cactusfan

glad to hear folks enjoyed the show.   :beers:

i'm not entirely sure what it is about this show that i love so much.
admittedly, aside from on your way down and maybe the piper, it's not like the show contains any 'greatest versions ever' of songs, so maybe it's simply this particular bunch of songs hits me right.
maybe phish found the exact setlist to make me happy.
despite the fact that were i to devise my dream set-list, this wouldn't have been it.
i didn't even attend this one.
i just happened to get a copy a few years ago.
so go figure.

i love the first set. i even love the short wolfman's, the shortness of which would normally bug me a little. maybe because it's the second song.
PYITE is a really strong version.
quinn is an awesome bust out.
poor heart is in the right spot.
i happen to love Roggae, so long as they don't totally screw up the vocals or the power chords (why trey fucks these chords up so often is beyond me... what are they, like F and D and C or something? only trey...) anyway, this version sounds real nice.
the SOAM never totally takes off into the stratosphere, but it's a perfect groovy '99 style jam. intense and dark. and the way they end it always makes me think the set is over, yet then they bust out the coil.
and then you know the set is over... and still they bust out loving cup!
i love the energy here. feels like they were so pumped they just kept on playing.

the second set is one of my favorite sets.
the tweezer is huge. maybe when stacked up against other great tweezers it's not at the top, but the mood of it is beautifully dark and evil; it really defines the mood of this set.
on your way down is great. by far the best version of this song they ever played. and the best set placement. a dark, dirty blues following the dark, evil tweezer.
and then into a huge, demented piper, which really is a stand-out. i love how intense and furious it gets before sinking down into the long fade-out.
at which point you'd kind of think they'd cool things out a little, and not only do they not cool it out, they go into yem.
and it's a dark, funky '99 yem. more evil! it's all cactus until trey rips it up just a bit at the end before the vocal jam.
and here again, the set could be over, but no!
frankenstein. another monstrous, dark song. NOW the set's over.
and they throw down waste... as a second set closer.
now i see that people don't like this song much. which is too bad for you. waste is a great song. of course, i'd never ask for it to close a second set. so the fact that they use it here for that purpose, AND THAT IT WORKS, is yet another testament to this band's brilliance.
in a sense, this is my favorite waste, simply because it's such a great and unlikely choice for this spot in this set. it's like they've hosed us with dark, throbbing evil brilliance for 75 minutes and then, finally, they say okay, here's a little rest.

a solid WMGGW and then one of my favorite reprises ever. and sure, reprises generally sound the same, but some are more intense than others, some just WORK better somehow, and along with 10.31.98 this is my favorite. no doubt this opinion is tainted by my love of this show, but so it goes.

thanks for listening. hopefully more folks will get a chance to check it out this weekend before week 7 hits us.