News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PCM Formats

Started by patton1138, July 01, 2006, 11:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patton1138

I'm guessing there's no way to do this, but can't hurt to ask.

Does anyone know if there's a way to burn and rip CDs so that the resulting ripped WAV file is identical to an originally burned WAV file?  I have a few shows for which I've lost the original SHN/FLAC files, and I was hoping I could get them back by ripping the tracks off of the CD into WAV format and then reconverting to SHN/FLAC.  But evidently the ripped file differs from the file that was burned, since it doesn't pass md5 checks.  I'm not too terribly surprised by that, but knowing that WAV and CD Audio formats both use PCM I had figured there might be some way to get that to work.  Anyone know of any tricks for this?

jedifunk

yes, its called EAC, exact audio copy... look on etree.org for a link to DL...
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

patton1138

I tried EAC, but still doesn't seem to work.  Still fails md5 checks.  It should both be as close to exact copies as you can get.  If it were FLAC I'd guess I've got the wrong FLAC level, but with SHN, there's no real variables, right?

Though, I haven't been writing with EAC.  I'll have to test that one...  Of course, that does me no good with already burned files. :-)

Marmar

>I tried EAC, but still doesn't seem to work.  Still fails md5 checks.<

:frustrated:
That's becasue your drive isn't properly configured......even so, if you drive doesn't over-read the lead-in and lead-out, you'll never get an EXACT copy of the original....even if it does over-read, there are far too many variables involved to get an exact match.....(the write offset of the writer used to burn the files, your read offset, etc....)

>If it were FLAC I'd guess I've got the wrong FLAC level, but with SHN, there's no real variables, right?<

:frustrated:
The encoding level of the FLAC frontend has NO EFFECT on if the file will pass an md5 checksum....you can take a FLAC set encoded Level 1 and then re-encode it to Level 8 and the FFP's (and any MD5's you generate to compare this test) will match 100%.....

>I have a few shows for which I've lost the original SHN/FLAC files, and I was hoping I could get them back by ripping the tracks off of the CD into WAV format and then reconverting to SHN/FLAC.  But evidently the ripped file differs from the file that was burned, since it doesn't pass md5 checks.  I'm not too terribly surprised by that, but knowing that WAV and CD Audio formats both use PCM I had figured there might be some way to get that to work.  Anyone know of any tricks for this?<

:-D
Yes.....this is why anal fuckers like me keep MASSIVE archives of everything......re-download the show, and remember kids:

ARCHIVE THE FLAC/SHN's!

Marmar
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

jedifunk

yeah what he said :roll: :clap: :beers:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio