News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehead

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood.

Since it was just released this past weekend I won't post any spoilers but for those who have seen it (whenever that may be),  I'm curious what you think......
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

emay

trying to see it one night this week if time frees up.

ytowndan

I think I'm going tomorrow.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

ytowndan

Quote from: mehead on July 29, 2019, 01:01:03 PM

Since it was just released this past weekend I won't post any spoilers but for those who have seen it (whenever that may be),  I'm curious what you think......

I absolutely loved it.  It's top tier QT, imo. 

[spoiler]If I had one real complaint, it would be that the Sharon Tate character kind of felt like an awkward third wheel at times.  Like there was too much of her to be a side character, yet not enough of her to be an equal co-star.  Personally, I would have liked more of her.  I thought Robbie did a great job, and one of my favorite sequences in the whole film was when she goes to the theater and talks her way in for free so she can watch the audience watch her in The Wrecking Crew.  Another favorite scene was Cliff's confrontation with the hippies out at the Ranch.  I loved the way they were looming in doorways and windows like extras in a western.  Also,the ending was over-the-top in the best QT-ish way possible.  I loved it![/spoiler]

cactusfan

A mess. As usual with Tarantino. Or so I find, and then, often, write about at length:

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-one-of-tarantinos-worst/

mehead

Quote from: cactusfan on August 01, 2019, 11:15:34 AM

A mess. As usual with Tarantino. Or so I find, and then, often, write about at length:

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-one-of-tarantinos-worst/

Good write-up as I tend to agree with a lot of what you're saying. I felt the slower parts really dragged, more so than usual in QT's films, far from engaging or creative dialogue between characters, and how long do I have to watch Sharon Tate in that theater? I feel like he could have easily shaved off a good 30-40 minutes. Some of the shorter scenes were totally unnecessary. Really liked the Cliff / Bruce Lee scene, the scene with Cliff and the hippies and the ending. I didn't hate it but I can say with confidence, this is easily my least favorite of his films.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Multibeast12

For the other Criterion fans in this thread, I grabbed the Godzilla box set. It is beautiful and if you are on the fence about it, you won't be disappointed. Also went crazy during the sale and grabbed the Cassavettes box and The World Cinema Project Vol 1. I have yet to really dig into both of those but hopefully, soon I will get the time.

Also, do we talk about The Irishman here or the Netflix thread? Either way, I enjoyed it. Thought Pacino was wonderful as Hoffa. Mostly because I could just listen to that man yell.

ytowndan

The Lighthouse

I absolutely loved it!  I wanted to see it in the theater, but it never came close enough to me.  So I had to wait for the digital release.  Willem Defoe was fantastic, it was beautifully shot, the soundtrack (minimal as it was) was superb, and that smaller aspect ratio was a good choice (claustrophobic as fuck). 

Anyone else see it?  I'd be curious to hear what you thought.   

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: ytowndan on December 25, 2019, 01:34:00 PM
The Lighthouse

I absolutely loved it!  I wanted to see it in the theater, but it never came close enough to me.  So I had to wait for the digital release.  Willem Defoe was fantastic, it was beautifully shot, the soundtrack (minimal as it was) was superb, and that smaller aspect ratio was a good choice (claustrophobic as fuck). 

Yes, I thought it was really good.
I enjoyed the writing, the cinematography - felt to me like a play in film. What the theatre must have felt like during Hawthorne's time.

Less convinced by the acting, however.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

ytowndan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on December 25, 2019, 01:59:58 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on December 25, 2019, 01:34:00 PM
The Lighthouse

Yes, I thought it was really good.
I enjoyed the writing, the cinematography - felt to me like a play in film. What the theatre must have felt like during Hawthorne's time.

Less convinced by the acting, however.

Yeah, the writing was great.  It reminded me of Deadwood at times, not just the obvious 19th century language connection, but the long word-drunk monologues and the mixing of high language with low humor.  I didn't make the play-in-film connection, though.  Good call.  Interestingly, I always thought the same thing about Deadwood.   

Multibeast12

Uncut Gems

Loved this movie. Adam Sandler was so good as just this manic insane man. I would recommend checking this one out while its in theatres. Also, I enjoyed the soundtrack a lot too.

ph92

The Last Black Man in San Francisco

I loved this movie, definitely one of my favorites in 2019. The cinematography was so beautiful, and the story is pretty fresh too. Not super recycled like most movies these days. Very powerful story, it moved me more than I initially expected. I definitely recommend this one!

I also watched "Good Boys" with some friends during the NYE run. Super juvenile movie. But the fact that it's a story following 3 nerdy boys who just got into the 6th grade, I totally related with the characters, even they are in a whole different generation than me. Stupid jokes and hi-jinx in this one.   
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

ytowndan

Quote from: Multibeast12 on January 07, 2020, 08:27:36 PM
Uncut Gems

Loved this movie. Adam Sandler was so good as just this manic insane man. I would recommend checking this one out while its in theatres. Also, I enjoyed the soundtrack a lot too.

Yeah, I thought it was great!  I think Sandler is really good, actually, when he's not doing that stock Adam-Sandler-in-a-moronic-comedy character of his.  I've been revisiting some of PTA's films recently, and I think Punch Drunk Love is another great example of what he can do with the right role.

cactusfan

I liked Uncut Gems and Last Black Man in San Francisco quite a lot. Two of the best of 2019.

But they didn't make my best of the decade list. Probably they haven't had time to simmer long enough yet inside my head.

Here's the list I came up with, for thems what like lists, and shaking your fists at how wrong they are:

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2020/01/the-26-best-movies-of-the-2010s-twenty-teens-decade/

mbw

Quote from: cactusfan on January 15, 2020, 02:07:31 PM
I liked Uncut Gems and Last Black Man in San Francisco quite a lot. Two of the best of 2019.

But they didn't make my best of the decade list. Probably they haven't had time to simmer long enough yet inside my head.

Here's the list I came up with, for thems what like lists, and shaking your fists at how wrong they are:

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2020/01/the-26-best-movies-of-the-2010s-twenty-teens-decade/

PTA up in there!  :-o
I almost smashed my computer at Spiderman, but I forged ahead... and then died when I saw Llewyn Davis in the 3 spot.  You killed me.  Asshole.

Seriously tho, lots to check out there, thanks.