News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: VDB on July 02, 2021, 12:49:30 PM
Thanks for the Red Dog and Summer of Soul recs, PG. I have already told my friend from Oklahoma about the former.

The other night I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Took me a while because the wife had already seen it without me. Very entertaining, very well done. I have complex thoughts about Leo DiCapprio, in general. He does great work but it's often not long before you are seeing through the character to Leo the actor, up there often trying a little too hard. And so I thought he was perhaps perfectly cast for this. And he has some incredible scenes, because he really is capable of great acting.

Last night we watched this new Steven Soderbergh caper film No Sudden Move (HBO Max). It's from the guy who brought you Ocean's Eleven Twelve Thirteen and it shows. Also pretty well done but it's virtually 100% plot and it has twists and turns and when Delta 9 gets involved I find I have a harder time keeping track of things, which in a movie like that can become a problem. YMMV.

That's what the wife and I plan on watching tonight.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 02, 2021, 01:37:38 PM
Quote from: VDB on July 02, 2021, 12:49:30 PM
Thanks for the Red Dog and Summer of Soul recs, PG. I have already told my friend from Oklahoma about the former.

The other night I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Took me a while because the wife had already seen it without me. Very entertaining, very well done. I have complex thoughts about Leo DiCapprio, in general. He does great work but it's often not long before you are seeing through the character to Leo the actor, up there often trying a little too hard. And so I thought he was perhaps perfectly cast for this. And he has some incredible scenes, because he really is capable of great acting.

Last night we watched this new Steven Soderbergh caper film No Sudden Move (HBO Max). It's from the guy who brought you Ocean's Eleven Twelve Thirteen and it shows. Also pretty well done but it's virtually 100% plot and it has twists and turns and when Delta 9 gets involved I find I have a harder time keeping track of things, which in a movie like that can become a problem. YMMV.

That's what the wife and I plan on watching tonight.

Also watching tonight.

Soderbergh, of course, is much more than just the Oceans movies. Anyone who hasn't seen The Limey should jump on that immediately. And if you want to check out something really comically bizarre, watch Schizopolis.

Multibeast12

Just watched Bill Duke?s Deep Cover last night. Criterion just released it so I grabbed it on a whim. Was a great watch. They did a wonderful job with the release.

emay

Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain. What a somber film. His friends give good insight on his life and character, who he was behind the camera and how it was working with him on the shows.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 14, 2021, 07:18:55 PM
Red Dog on Hulu. HIGHly suggested. Legendary strippers telling tales of their heyday in the late 70?s. Lots of drugs and characters. Some tragedy along the way, of course, but mostly good dirty fun. Check it.

Watched this last week and it was entertaining to say the least.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

shoreline99

Watched The Suicide Squad the other night. Great flick - hard R but a solid movie, funny and violent and you really don't need to know anything about the DC Comics universe to appreciate it.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mistercharlie

Quote from: shoreline99 on August 08, 2021, 11:43:18 AMWatched The Suicide Squad the other night. Great flick - hard R but a solid movie, funny and violent and you really don't need to know anything about the DC Comics universe to appreciate it.

The wife and I watched it yesterday afternoon. Pretty good, I think. You can tell it's the DCEU version of Gardians of the Galaxy. James Gunn uses a lot of the same actors and style of humor. But it's way more gratuitous that GotG.

[Spolier]Really looking forward to the Peacemaker TV show coming to HBO from James Gunn now[/spoiler]
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

anthrax

i really enjoyed the woodstock '99 doc on hbo max.  i remember doing the amazing 4 show phish run that weekend which ended at deer creek with trey thanking us for being us and then playing the song Woodstock. 

the doc didn't mention that phish put on a large scale festival just a short ride from woodstock during the same heat wave just a week or two earlier.  they also did it again to close out the year.

i recall being so happy i was in my little phish bubble at that time and off the grid of popular music.  if it was all going to blow up there was no place i'd rather be than in florida at the end of december.

emay

Yeah I loved the Woodstock '99 doc. Crazy look into where popular music and the typical "concert/party" scene was like at that time. Definitely a strange lineup after looking through it. Didn't realize it was so big on paper view too, kinda forgot about that. Moby's interviews were great.

cactusfan

Mandibles. French, by very strange filmmaker Quentin Dupieux.

It's about these two really dumb guys who find a giant fly in their trunk, and decide to train it to get rich. As anyone would do in a similar situation.

It's like a deadpan, surrealist Dumb and Dumber. Highly recommended.

khalpin

No Time To Die

Continuing the streak of seeing every Bond flick in the theater starting with A View to a Kill.  I gotta say though, one of my favorite aspects of the Bond franchise has always been the stunts.  When you have CGI fist fights, you've gone too far.

rowjimmy

I watch a lot of movies but don't take the time to post them... But the mention above of CGI fights reminded me of something that I hated about Malignant. Saw it on HBOMax over he weekend and it wasn't great... kind an origin story for a wannabe franchise that I hope doesn't take off.

That said, it devolved into a couple action sequences that were jarring twitch because they played like video game cut scenes with not only impossible movements by the characters but impossible camera movements. It took me right out of the film.

Anyway, terrible movie but a fun time until that shit.

khalpin

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 12, 2021, 09:07:29 AMI watch a lot of movies but don't take the time to post them... But the mention above of CGI fights reminded me of something that I hated about Malignant. Saw it on HBOMax over he weekend and it wasn't great... kind an origin story for a wannabe franchise that I hope doesn't take off.

That said, it devolved into a couple action sequences that were jarring twitch because they played like video game cut scenes with not only impossible movements by the characters but impossible camera movements. It took me right out of the film.

Anyway, terrible movie but a fun time until that shit.
That movie was awful.  The "reveal" was cool, though.  So at least there 5 seconds or so that were enjoyable.  Would've been nice if they threw in some gratuitous nudity to reward the viewer.

mopper_smurf

Finally saw Dune. Not bad, but the lead actor needs some work on showing his emotions. Also: that Hans Zimmer guy is phoning it in on this one, going through the motion with overcrowded orchestral outbursts.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy