News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: jephrey on November 06, 2007, 01:33:26 PM
Shoreline, can't believe you watched time bandits...  Hilarious. 

Everyone's next homework is to find and watch "Ice Pirates".  Effin classic.  So cheap.  You'll love the part where they're turning the guys into unics (sp?)

J

Both of those movies are great entertainment.
Time Bandits has more potential to provoke thought (though thinking is not req'd) but both movies are kickass romps!

shoreline99

QuoteStop whimpering! How was I to know we were gonna run right into an iceberg? It didn't say 'Get off before the iceberg' on the ticket!
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

rowjimmy

QuoteGod isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!

Of course Ice Pirates has this (yes, I copied it to get it right):
QuoteJason: [looking at the robot that Roscoe has built] Why'd you make him black?
Roscoe: [smiling] Because I wanted him to be perfect.

VA $l!m

i'm watching the 2 towers extended version right now that a friend loaned me.
really cool. all the cut scenes spliced back in, plus a very nice 6.1 DTS-ES mix tab00t!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

cactusfan

Quote from: cleech74 on November 06, 2007, 06:44:48 PM
Yes, and it wasn't digital.  The disc looked like a big, shiny, vinyl.

Time Bandits,  M.P's the Holy Grail, and Under the Rainbow were the first movies I saw, using that media format.  I was in Middle School at the time.  Man that takes me back...

And see Under the Rainbow if you can.  Funny movie, and it has little people.

laser discs were digital. what else could they possibly be? they were the first way to actually get movies letterboxed. i remember in the '80s renting movies from the '70s on VHS and tripping out on what looked like these very weird, mechanical pans they always used. i thought it was a stylistic choice. only later did i understand that widescreen movies on VHS were cropped in the 'pan and scan' method, losing a third of the picture. i can't watch movies that way anymore. it actually hurts my brain to see the frame cut and cramped that way.

Time Bandits is brilliant. how it gets mentioned along with Ice Pirates is beyond me. that may be good trash, but Time Bandits is Gilliam's best movie! well, along with Brazil, anyway. michael palin co-wrote Time Bandits,  by the way.

Under The Rainbow. wow. i forgot that existed. it's not on DVD, is it? it was a huge bomb when it opened. chevy chase and the little people, oh man...

cactusfan

well, shows what i know.
the audio on laserdiscs was eventually digital, but the picture was analog.

cleech74

I just figured since it was before CD's had really surfaced, that it wasn't in digital format.  That statement wasn't backed buy fact, just a half-educated guess.

Interesting though. :-)
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

thechad

Quote from: jephrey on November 06, 2007, 01:33:26 PM
Shoreline, can't believe you watched time bandits...  Hilarious. 

Everyone's next homework is to find and watch "Ice Pirates".  Effin classic.  So cheap.  You'll love the part where they're turning the guys into unics (sp?)

J
SPACE HERPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

rowjimmy

I'm not saying Ice Pirates even touches Time Bandits in greatness but they do hold a similar chronographic location in my memory...

VA $l!m

just watched aeon flux.

hellava lot better than i thought it would be.

sunrisevt

Can you elaborate? I was psyched when I saw the trailer, but then I heard it sucked the bag.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: VA slim on November 08, 2007, 04:49:57 PM
just watched aeon flux.

hellava lot better than i thought it would be.

i saw it in the theatre...
and i agree.

i didn't expect to enjoy it as much...
esp with charlize....

the leathal grass scene was pretty hot.
they said that overhead shot was supposed to somewhat resemble the loge from the series.

i think i remember hearing that famke J. turned down the lead role....

QuoteSome called Bregna the perfect society. Some call it the height of human civilization. But others know better.

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

VA $l!m

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 08, 2007, 05:05:56 PM
Can you elaborate? I was psyched when I saw the trailer, but then I heard it sucked the bag.

yeah... maybe i'm just bored today, but i dunno... i was a fan of the original liquid TV series, and ok so maybe i have the hots for charlize anyway, but regardless it wasnt BAD in the slightest bit, IMO.
in fact it was just weird enough, like the original, to keep me hooked the whole movie.
nothing mindblowing here, but definitely not  a waste of time... or maybe a good waste of time, depending on how you look at it.

sunrisevt

Quote from: VA slim on November 08, 2007, 05:52:04 PM
i was a fan of the original liquid TV series, and ok so maybe i have the hots for charlize anyway,

Me, too--on both counts.

Quotemaybe a good waste of time, depending on how you look at it.

I know what you mean.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Hicks

Spiderman 3, reeeeaally cheeseball, which is a bummer because I liked the second one better than the first.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.