News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willsteele

Yeah he was.  Though at times the character was a bit clowny....err...I'm hoping for something a bit darker.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: willsteele on January 10, 2008, 04:41:45 PM
Yeah he was.  Though at times the character was a bit clowny....err...I'm hoping for something a bit darker.

i'll agree with you on that... always wanted the joker a little darker...

this trailor makes me anxious now :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on January 10, 2008, 02:45:22 PM
i f'ing LOVE this movie.

on TV today.
the unviversal HD channel.

good stuff :)
one of my favorite movies of all time.
the first time I saw it was on a plane. I watched it twice. Then once on the way back. then I got home and rented it so my wife could see it. she watched it twice.
great flick.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

willsteele

I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

cactusfan

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on January 10, 2008, 01:20:39 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on January 10, 2008, 01:06:56 PM
Sweeney Todd.

ehh. it was okay i guess. then again, it's kind of boring. and helena bonham carter and alan rickman really shouldn't be allowed to sing. best parts were the two scenes with sascha baron cohen.
as for the look, tim burton ran out of ideas at least ten years ago. he's really running on fumes.

i've really been wanting to see this...
and i've not heard good OR bad about it..

thanks for the heads up. :)

keep in mind that i'm a serious film geek. feels like i've seen everything. which makes me, to put it mildly, picky. so if you've been itching to see it, don't skip it just because of me...

for example, i'd rather be hit in the head with a shovel than sit through Usual Suspects again. [ducks]  :-)

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: cactusfan on January 10, 2008, 07:15:46 PM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on January 10, 2008, 01:20:39 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on January 10, 2008, 01:06:56 PM
Sweeney Todd.

ehh. it was okay i guess. then again, it's kind of boring. and helena bonham carter and alan rickman really shouldn't be allowed to sing. best parts were the two scenes with sascha baron cohen.
as for the look, tim burton ran out of ideas at least ten years ago. he's really running on fumes.

i've really been wanting to see this...
and i've not heard good OR bad about it..

thanks for the heads up. :)

keep in mind that i'm a serious film geek. feels like i've seen everything. which makes me, to put it mildly, picky. so if you've been itching to see it, don't skip it just because of me...

for example, i'd rather be hit in the head with a shovel than sit through Usual Suspects again. [ducks]  :-)

to each their own.... :wink:

i've liked sweeny todd since i was a kid, too... and i'm a johnny depp junkie, so that was my reasoning...
i'm not big on going to the movies by myself tho, and my friends are all fuddy-duddies...
so i'll prolly wait to rent it anyhow :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

blatboom

thanks for posting that RJ, that trailer is sick.  I think the original is a great movie and after Shumacher destroyed the franchise the Batman Begins reset was such a breath of fresh air.  I try not to compare since there's such a time gap between it and Burton's original.  I'm not a comic buff but I know that all the series have all sorts of different story lines that sometimes contradict each other.

and I love how the new Joker looks like a filthy mental case.

Hicks

Quote from: antelope19 on January 10, 2008, 04:35:22 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 10, 2008, 04:26:56 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 10, 2008, 03:22:56 PM
Heath Ledger as Joker sounded like a terrible idea until I saw this trailer.

Word, I wasn't sure about Mr. Brokeback either, but he looks like he will give Nicholson a run for the money, which is pretty impressive IMO.

Wow, really?  Nicholson was pretty spectacular in that film. 

agreed, hence the impressivableness.   :-)
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

messengerbird

Juno~ loved it! My fav so far this year.  :-D
Central part of town, I'm going down

Quote from: Phishy69 on January 05, 2010, 11:12:04 PM
A match made in Gamehenge  :-D

rowjimmy

Nicholson was a good Joker but he played it to the comic side.
It's the dark Joker that I like most and i think that's the goal in this film.

As for Sweeny Todd, go see it if you already like the story and music. Drag someone with you if need be.

blatboom

like most I was surprised when I heard they'd cast Ledger.  but I figured they saw something there and they must have?  this movie won't disappoint I bet.

that wheezing laugh he gives @ ~:40 sounds like an homage to Nicholson's joker to me...

alcoholandcoffeebeans

maybe i'll drag someone with me... for sweeny todd.

but tonight?
we watched 'The Island'

hmmmm... is all i can say right now.

cactusfan

watched the first movie by Michael Cimino, early '70s, called Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, with clint eastwood and jeff bridges. decent, not great. very of its time, and i love '70s movies. about two guys who meet randomly in montana and rob a bank. with an ending taken right out of Midnight Cowboy. movies were so damn ambiguous and/or depressing in the '70s. i love it!

Cimino next went on to make the brilliant Deer Hunter, which if you haven't seen, you really should. up there with Apocalypse Now as the best movie dealing with the vietnam war.

then he made Heaven's Gate, one of the most notorious flops in hollywood history. in fact, it pretty much put the stake in the heart of the '70s cinema i love, and brought on the nightmare of the '80s.

Hicks

Juno, cute and well done, if a bit calculated to appeal to the Garden State demographic. 

Looks like Kimya Dawson will be able to quit her day job. 

Edit: Oh yeah, I felt pretty cool that I picked out Cut Chemist as the science teacher.   :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sunrisevt

Quote from: cactusfan on January 13, 2008, 04:26:37 PM
Cimino next went on to make the brilliant Deer Hunter, which if you haven't seen, you really should. up there with Apocalypse Now as the best movie dealing with the vietnam war.

Those are both great films, and I know lots of vets who agree, but my old man and most of his Vietnam buddies all say Platoon is the best film about the war itself.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.