News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

bt

Started by bacchist, September 03, 2006, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bacchist

i just wanted to vent about people that abuse bt... they cap their uploads ridiculously and then close the moment it finishes.

damn them to hell.

almost makes me wish that bt.etree.org required registration and enforced ratios
Rebuilding...

mattstick

I know that when I was seeding a lot of stuff I would often do that with downloads, so that my seeds would have loads of bandwidth...

It's not safe to assume that everyone who limits the ups and jumps off right away is a leech...but it's probably the case more often than not.

bacchist

yeah, that's kind of the exception that proves the rule...
Rebuilding...

DoW

there's definitely a lot of leeches.  sometimes people shut down torrents and come back anfd open up their windows later.
yesterday I jumped on a torrent august started a couple of weeks ago and it still had 3 seeds so overall, the system works.
I have my own standards.  new shows to circulation or new sources, I seed to at least 200%.  just a show I happen to need, I seed to 100-150%.  shows on projects, I seed at least until there are double digit seeds or roughly 24 hours.

I don't download much anymore so it is easy to upload a lot.  I get upset at times at leechers too, but the system works due to others keeping their windows open to make up for the leechers.

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

tet

i don't always stay on long after it finishes because i cannot have long, sustained uploads - my ISP considers that to be my running a server, and will throttle me.  so, i'll usually run Azureus or Furthur for 3 hours at a time and then hop off.  i'll pop it back on later that night, and keep the ratio well over 100%, but it's rare that i'll just leave it on for that long of a time.  when it's on though, i always upload at about 150 KB/sec, and i rarely deactivate it until the ratio is satisfied and there are no more peers.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

bacchist

yeah i could see how your isp might have issues with you uploading 24/7 at 150 kB/s  :-D
Rebuilding...

tet

Quote from: bacchist on September 03, 2006, 06:09:29 PM
yeah i could see how your isp might have issues with you uploading 24/7 at 150 kB/s  :-D

if i don't cap myself i can upload at up to 240 KB/sec.  so, yeah, it can get out of hand quickly.  but the ISP stills sucks, because a) they deny that they even do it, and b) they won't tell you what the LIMIT is...  fockers!
-Phish

bacchist

what type of service is it? those are insane upload speeds...  i can get over 800 kB/s down but i can only upload at about 40 kB/s... using comcast cable. i'm really happy with it, as far as residential serivce goes, i'm not aware of any better
Rebuilding...

tet

cable.  from Cablevision's Optimum Online service.  it's not bad at $55/month, in theory i get 15 mbps down / 2 mbps up.  but i was capped for about 18 months straight at one point, so i've been very careful never to let that happen again.  capped brings my upload down to 128 kbps, which gives me max upload throughput of 16 KB/sec.  it's that shitty...
-Phish

disco

Quote from: bacchist on September 03, 2006, 06:09:29 PM

mine doesn't  :-D
not yet anyway

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

jephrey

...  My ISP slapped me on the wrist and cut off my p2p traffic because I was uploading too much.  Now I have to limit.  Still, I stay around 16K.  But it's true that it is kind misleading.  Sometimes (and Azureus makes it easy), I'll jump off until I'm really needed on something.  So I'll finish and there will be like 20 seeders (no reason for me to stay on) but when the ratio drop sto 1:1 or less, the azureus automatically opens it up. 

On the other hand, I agree with the rant because I do think that there are a LOT of leechers out there who have the ability to, but don't contribute.  And yes, that blows.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

Quote from: tet on September 03, 2006, 08:58:35 PM
cable.  from Cablevision's Optimum Online service.  it's not bad at $55/month, in theory i get 15 mbps down / 2 mbps up.  but i was capped for about 18 months straight at one point, so i've been very careful never to let that happen again.  capped brings my upload down to 128 kbps, which gives me max upload throughput of 16 KB/sec.  it's that shitty...

thats what i got, too.
i get about 220 UL at my mom's place, but have been throttled once before.
when i uL, i usually cap it at around 40.
a

Marmar

I can upload at about 80-90KB with the comcast service I have......and that's splt between 2 machines......each getting about 80-90KB.......so I can't really complain, and with the ammount of seeding I do, I've never been capped......

and they BETTER not cap my ass......$70/month just for internet is kinda insane, but it's nice.......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

bacchist

wow... your comcast service is a LOT better than mine... but also sounds like it's more expensive...
Rebuilding...

Caravan2001

I've got comcast here in Portland....my upload usually sticks around the 75-85 kiB/s range, but it depends...With oink my upload speeds seem faster, sometime my etree stuff crawls...Sometimes with Oink I am uploading 2 torrents in the 65 range....I have the fastest connection comcast offers i my area, I pay $55 which is bank, but my download speeds fly....The slower speed is $40, I might switch back to that...anyone out there have any thoughts about satelite (I'm in a lot of trees though)?