News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New Apple Products 2006-09-12

Started by jephrey, September 12, 2006, 10:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

So here's the speculation

1.  iTunes Movies (Disney and Pixar)  This is obvious.

2.  Updated nano, new case, longer battery life, maybe more storage.

3.  New iPod, full screen 16:9 virtual touch wheel.  Bigger HD?

4.  Device to stream movies from the computer to the TV.

5.  Phone (not flip  :|)

Which will we get?  I hope all of them.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

phone is doubtful today, but ya never know.  everything else is likely, i think... 

let's hope for new iPods, i feel like i haven't given Apple enough money lately - mine's over 2 years old!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jonyem

I'm really only interested in a new iPod.
A phone really holds little appeal for me.
I'm betting this is one of those keynote/announcements that has us all going, "huh, never thought of that one".

I'm sure there'll be some talk about 10.5, and possible hardware, but not as likely.

jephrey

Oh, iTunes 7.0 with better iTMS search as well.  I'll bet on that.

I think the only thing with 10.5 will be something to do with the integration of iTunes.  Maybe apple has updates for Garageband too.  Maybe an update to iLife?  Maybe, just maybe, there'll be gapless playback on the pod and in iTunes...  Schwing.

Here's to soaring hopes.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jonyem

I'd order a new iPod RIGHT NOW if it had gapless.
iTunes too for that matter, but that's free

jedifunk

i've got my apple gift certificates in hand (along with the car keys) ready to sprint to the apple store if they release larger capacity iPod... thats all i need is an 80-100GB iPod!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Well the gapless portion would be in a firmware update so no need for a new one if they finally do that.

I think the issue is with batteries when it comes to that.  You lose battery life even if you have it set to crossfade tracks because it has to queue up the next tune and I believe that takes some processing power (especially with longer songs).  So that's why I think they don't have it.  But for god's sake, make it an option at least!

1 hour until we start to find out...

J

tet

so far:

new regular iPods, 60 and 80 gigs:  $249 and $349!!
brighter screens, longer video playback, games ($4.99 on iTunes Store) GAPLESS PLAYBACK!!!  available today!!

new iPod nano - aluminum casings, colors and shape like a mini mini!  2GB available in silver ($149), 4 GB available in all colors but black ($199), 8 GB in black ($249).  double storage at same price points.  same new software features.  24 hr battery life.  all models ship in packaging that is 52% smaller in volume!!

new iPod shuffle - now the size of Apple Remote, similar design.  metal body.  smallest MP3 player on the market.  hold/shuffle sliders on bottom of unit.  1 GB - $79, includes headphones, USB2 dock.  ships October.

iTunes 7 today:

completely revamped interface with 3 new views:  traditional, songs with album art, and a "Coverflow"-style, where you browse through the album covers like you were flipping thru an actual CD collection.  works on playlists too.  if you don't have album art but do have an iTunes account, it will automatically add it for you free of charge for your ENTIRE library.  you can now transfer songs between iTunes on the same network if both computers are authorized!!  GAPLESS PLAYBACK!!  new source list, you can manage each iPod separately.  you can use your iPod as a conduit between two authorized computers to sync tunes - no longer tied to syncing on just a single computer!  TV shows are now encoded at 640x480 resolution (H.264).
Free and available today on www.itunes.com 

one more thing: 

MOVIES!  75 available right now, all from Disney-owned companies.  more later.  $12.99 pre-order and first week for new released, $14.99 after.  older films $9.99 - all near DVD quality at 640x480.  can watch as you download movie.  can download more than one at once, iTunes 7 has a Download Manager.  now officially just called the "iTunes Store" - different section for music, movies, tv, and games.

sneak peak: 

iTV:  not final name, "complete the story", Q1 2007 will be likely release, will connect computer and iPod to TV.  wireless or wired, a box about half the size of Mac mini.  optical audio, hdmi output, component and composite output.  works with Apple remote.  has Front Row-like interface, but larger and clearer icons.  instant access to video, streams at full quality.  same files play iPod, computer and TV now.  video close to DVD quality even on very large screen projector at keynote.  works with PC or Mac.  $299.
-Phish

jephrey

I'm no gamer but I love pacman.  I can't believe that the nano is even smaller.

I'm watching updates live too.  AWESOME.

Please let the software updates be gapless playback.

J

jedifunk

have they said if the 80GB ipods are available today?
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

tet

Quote from: jedifunk on September 12, 2006, 01:28:09 PM
have they said if the 80GB ipods are available today?

they are all shipping today apparently, i'm waiting to find out from my local store if i can pick one up today as well.  i'm figuring tomorrow at the earliest... but i'll be there first thing in the AM!!
-Phish

flow00

I've heard Apple is going to be selling movies through iTunes.

jephrey

iLounge: iPod is getting enhanced today. 60% brighter with brighness control, 3.5 hours video playback (up from 2 hrs... big version goes to 6.5 hours), new headphones, gapless playback

I am so effing happy.  I've been waiting for this for 4 years!!!

jedifunk

so tet, did you call your local store?  and they said tomorrow?  or there was no answer?
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

flow00

Quote from: jephrey on September 12, 2006, 01:31:19 PM
iLounge: iPod is getting enhanced today. 60% brighter with brighness control, 3.5 hours video playback (up from 2 hrs... big version goes to 6.5 hours), new headphones, gapless playback

I am so effing happy.  I've been waiting for this for 4 years!!!

Isn't that great? I just heard about it too. It's about time!