News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jimi Hendrix Thread

Started by susep, September 30, 2006, 06:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

A review of The Jimi Hendrix Experience from 2/18/69 I wrote awhile back:

18Feb.1969 - Royal Albert Hall London, England

sources:

1. "The Royal Albert Hall, London 18.02.1969" aka. "Royal Albert Hall - First Night"

(ATM 115-116, 25/VIII/2000, 2CDRs)

2. "Royal Albert Hall - First Night - Raw Source"

(ATM 115-116 - BONUS DISCS, 2CDRs)

3. SBD Lossy

Recording opens w/ bass feedback from Noel, he also seems to be mimicing the feedback.

"We really appreciate the idea that we got the LP done.(e are putting it down.)(that being able to put it on), I'd like to say that, yeah Hi!, whoever it is sitting at the top of that second stones,

Dig we'd like to ah take about a minute and a half to ah, tune our instruments here and there not a game mind,(not again mon), Happy as gertz singing Noel tuning underneath

And then we'll like ah We've been playing pretty steadily in America this way, good, mimingmophfir right now. We've been playing for... (brief pause, crowd laughs) "ooh"

We've been playing in here, ah, in America, right, right in America. We've played in a very very tideous way, practiced a lot so what we'll do is burn key lot yeah I don't know(trails off...) (People in the crowd yelling Jimi!)

Don't ask me I don't know nothing, (I've never heard of)I've never done, I never met him > Noel laying down some tripped out bass immediately after)

Like we said before we tune in like this we really care for your ears. that's what we do between every single song. And that's why, that's why.(Feedback shrierk) we'll never, face her/phase her,

Everything is stealth/self/stale.(crowd laughs) That's why I wore my hat man, I was thinking about hirtsue/ >>>Mitch's drumming, talkers near the taper is a double Jimi inaudible whammy(not bar),

Jimi also tuning/30- seconds of tuning/adjusting ensues

SBD:

Oh yeah this is, this is a thing we'd like to jam from our ah, friends in Sweden, a group called Hanson and Karlson ah, a song they wrote its called Tax Free we'd like to do it for you, its an instrumental it goes something like this here. >>chords, last minute tuning

Tax Free ? Jimi comps into the intro, Mitch chimes in at :41, always love this jam, free form Jimi, intermittent signal on the recording, perhaps a reflection of Jimi's sound gremlins that plagued the show???, high octane Jimi at 1:42, nice runs back into main theme, chunky funk, mettalic funk by Jimi, nice solo by Jimi near 2:23, nice use of feedback into raucous jam beginning at 3:05, Jimi utilizing some octave runs, tension + at 3:40+, Yeah! Says Jimi before Mitch takes a solo at 4:12, inspired Mitch in front of the home crowd, Jimi lurking underneath near 5:50, emerges with an inspired trill before coming back in with a riff? at 6:19, chunky funk ensues, Jimi lifts off at 6:59, Mitch pounding hard underneath, mixing it up nicely, hot solo by Jimi, Noel playing some solid bass, right there w/ Jimi and Mitch, crescendo near 8:00+ before Jimi quiets it down signaling the end, more feedback laden tremelo to close. Very psychedelic version.

Crowd loves it,

Danke sher, thank you very much ? Jimi

Thank you very much, frau...? - Noel

Gimme an A, gimmie me an A.? - Jimi to Noel

Noel replies, Jimi tunes up.

Thanks for staying this long, we'd like to continue on with some other things(trails off...)

Oh I'll tell you what, a blast from the past how about that? Hehe. Cause we don't know anything else, a thing called let me stand up next to your old lady and pass the joint forward, let me stand next to your Fire. 12,12 into

Fire ? great showcase for Mitch, Jimi changes the first verse to

"you don't care for me child you only care about that, you gotta new fool, huh I like it like that"

Inspired, charged version. Jimi sounding confident vocally,

"ah move over old man, and stop sleeping so sound, you know what the true problem is baby, when you first lay down."

Solo at 1:26, great tone by Jimi. The recording sounds great, Mitch has a slight reverb, more inspired vocals by Jimi with I have only one inch of desire!!! at 2:33( let me stand next to your fire. ) More soaring Jimi in his outro solo, textbook Experience which is to say magnificent, second cycle at 3:10, intense, strong ending/version

Thank you very much that was Fire ? Noel

Play Wild Thing! - from an audience member,

Jimi tuning his B and E strings, a few bass drum hits from Mitch

into

Hear My Train A' Comin' ? killer blusey intro by Jimi, awkward Mitch opening this version, finally syncing up near :36, still off though, Jimi exclaims yeah! At :48, Jimi pushing through w. a superb tone, really nice touches early on, dripping blues, tuning at 1:26 by Jimi,

nice call/response by Jimi throughout the verses, Jimi tunes up again at 2:45, killer signals at 3:00+, ?tears are burning my eye, a whole lot of tears burning my eye, way down inside, way down inside, way down, in my soul.?

Jimi solos at 4:01, the train has arrived, this is Jimi's Chasin' the Train, nice high touches near 5:01, Earth Blues sounds near 5:21, great runs near 5:48, train horn tremelo blasts near 6:12, Jimi really mixing it up near 7:00 before dropping it down yet still digging in, virtuoso Jimi, train fun k at 8:11, more killer blues lines by Jimi, delta Jimi, Jimi the delta blues virtuoso, master, ?going to be a magic boy yeah!? Jimi ends at 11:08 w/ some feedback tremelo, crowd loves it

cut/ into Noel noodling

It isn't too loud now is it? Right, thank you, thank you very much, now I may be able to reach a climax this time, ok thank you.

More tuning

Is that bad or good? hmmm Dig we'd like to ah um, take another blast from the past, um, god,

No, no not Red House 'cause I forgot the words to that one, not right now anyway,

Dig we'd like to dedicate this to somebody's girlfriend, we don't know who she is yet, but lets see now we'll, we'll find out later on which, we'll find out, its a thing called Foxey Lady.

Foxey Lady ? ?you wouldn't understand, not right now anyway.? - says Jimi, before feedback howling into the song proper, trilling at :42 before the first verse, primal scream, howls by Jimi in between verses, solo at 2:30, nice variations by Jimi, in the stratosphere(higher register) early on, back into the chorus at 3:11, trill tap back into chorus, ending at 4:00, Jimi uses his mic stand as a slide, slight pause before Jimi's outro solo vamp, more feedback before all 3 close together, Jimi sets off one final siren of feedback to close, crowd again loves it.

Thanks very much ? Noel

crowd shouting requests at the stage

you can hear someone near the stage say ?Voodoo Child slight return.?

feedback from the amps>

we'd like to ah, if you don't mind testing is this the right microphone?, testing 123, if you don't mind we'd like to get into ah maybe another slow blues lets feel it out see what happens always relax, and ah see (what key are we playing it in?) off mic

Noel says ?A? in the background

Its recorded in 1778 at Benjamin Franklin studios, a thing ah called ah Red House, goes something like this here...

Jimi and Noel continue to tune up...

Jimi strums his guitar 4x

?Thank you for waiting,

Red House ? to get 2 blues numbers in the same set is always a good sign of things to come, extended first part intro, Jimi switching it up to the SG, clean 1:36 in, ?yeah? Jimi exclaims at 1:48, first verse at 2:33, that's where my baby, baby stays!?, 99 and ? days, approximate to his time away from his London paramour Kathy Etchingham, proper solo begins at 5:08, ?hey!? yells Jimi off mic, Mitch and Noel laying it down think behind. Double time march kicks in at 6:28, Jimi lighting up the RAH, Jimi digging in at 7:00+, sky church is now in session!, Noel hitting his Fender bass w/ gusto or frustration?, jazzy interlude unfolds at 7:49, nice jazzy comping by Jimi, Mitch loving this section I'm sure, no Noel at all here, Jimi returns near 9:01 before Noel rejoins subtly, quiet runs by Jimi, very quiet, interesting chords by Jimi 10:03, Jam 252 esque, outro verses near 10:41, 12 bar Jimi to close, guitar out of tune slightly, Jimi passes on his usual strong outro solo march, does finish w/ a few brief lines. Maybe he broke a string?

Crowd loves it. Brief cut in the recording before picking up where it was left off

guitar strums, tuning

where's that ordum, where's that odor coming from???

chatter off mic,

...sorry for the delay we're just trying to get the ah drums so we can hear them onstage, you know?

Feedback

Thy drop suddenly into

Sunshine of Your Love ? the last London version when the Experience segued into it via Hey Joe from 4Jan.1969 on live British television, perhaps Lulu was present tonight?

Jimi's first solo at 1:46, Cream! Live at the RAH! Jam quiets near 2:40+, Jimi giving both Mitch and Noel time to show their stuff, Noel laying down his customary power chords, hits a few lines near 3:27, Jimi lurking underneath, Mitch picking up the tempo, Noel laying it down in front of family and friends, Jimi w/ some great rhythm guitar at 4:07, jam continues to build with Noel, Jimi switches over to lead at 4:37, nice octave runs by Jimi at 4:48, Noel digging in, Jimi hits a trill at 5:06 inspired by Noel that peaks, they stop all together at 5:19, Jimi reintroduces the main theme/riff, sonic outro lines by Jimi begin at 5:48, Jimi slows it down to close near 6:34, pretty solid version, crowd approval

Thank you ? Noel

Jimi switches off his wha-wha pedal,

crowd whistling...

Sorry to take up all your time, but we'd like to do another song or two if you don't mind hearing us,

I feel like you know, there's a certain thing in the air,

Air in the lean(Air-lee-iann) strikes twice and all that kind of, stuff.

Give me an A to Noel

Jimi sings an A, yeee!?

I can't hear a thing? Jimi

This air. - Jimi off microphone

more tuning

I really am sorry for all this and I'm twice as emberrassed you know just standing up and tuning man but you know it just has to be done, you know cowboys are the only ones that stay in tune anyways so what the hell...

ah,

Spanish Castle Magic off mic

SCM ? now a stage workhouse, the clouds are really low baby!?, mics off Mitch's snare in/out, Jimi leads in at 1:35, single note lines by Jimi, trying to build tension, fluctuations w/ his wha-wha, clearer, higher notes at 2:30, Noel busy, Jimi crying, again very Earth Blues esque, high screams on the guitar near 3:11, octave build near 3:35+, requoting, breaks into the chord progression of what would later be called Message To Love at 4:22, although its name had various studio title incarnations ie. Message to the Universe, Crash Landing???*****research, Jimi signaling a new direction with this new jam, Noel and Mitch join in at 4:50, Noel first followed by Mitch, not sure if they played this variation before tonigh? jam quiets down near 5:45, Jimi leading , Jimi still quoting the MTL theme before leading off again at 6:41, Jimi takes a new direction at 7:10, arabian ideas, experimental Jimi, quite good actually, Jimi looking to resolve near 8:00, instead ops for some hanging feedback tremelo between 8:05 and 8:28, similar to what he would do in the 26April Tax Free, chunky funk by Jimi before re-quoting Magic's theme at 8:39, Octave run at 9:06 into crescendo, Jimi stops/chords out at 9:31, hitting his tremelo unti, very IDLT in its break/quiet sections, Jimi bending his tremelo bar, blusey SCM theme reprise by Jimi, full band return at 10:42, Jimi outro solo at 10:52, final EB esque screams/bends into chorus at 11:28,

Thank you very much ? Noel

more tuning

cut at 12:30/

(interesting version, aren't they all? I could hear embryonic touches of Earth Blues, the MTL jam is definitely unique and foreshadows where Jimi would take this song in the States on his Spring NA Tour) nice sequence between 7:10 and 8:28, funny how at 9:31 he basically plays the quiet section of IDLT before laying down a blusey Magic reprise riff, certainly uneven but fascinating to hear nonetheless)

crowd loves it

more tuning after the cut...

Jimi tapping his fretboard, manipulating his toggle switch, stirrying the electronic spirits, creating a wall of feedback, harsh/loud cadence at :39, opening up the feedback, fingering into the first few bars of the

Star Spangled Banner ? at 1:04, Mitch assisting as well, great tone by Jimi here, after the rockets red glare, Jimi creates the sounds of War, missiles flying, sirens, machine gun fire, back into those bombs bursting in air...at 2:19, more tremelo feedback toggle into, the end of the melody w/ gusto, begins his feedback laden decant into(short but powerful version btw)

Purple Haze ? solid out of the gate, Jimi extends an extra bar before beginning the vocals/first verse, first solo at 1:21, nice snare work by Mitch, Jimi hits his enamel/teeth at 1:39, takes another go around at 1:57, reprises main riff at 2:15, Jimi late coming into the chorus, starts at ?all in my mind...?, octave/searing outro position before another stab at the main riff to act as an outro, furious outro leads by Jimi, w/ feedback, (short but sweet version), one final quote of the main theme up on octave,

Thank you very much, thank you Noel

crowd clamoring for more,

Yeah before we go ahead on I'd like to say that ah, I think we would like to you know play here next week again because something happened to the tickets and all that and our friends didn't get a chance to come. I mean all of 'em all of 'em I'm sorry all of 'em you know, and ah like Noel he might bring his own thing down the Fat Mattress, anyway that is (R)oel Noel Redding on the bass

just in case you might be ah getting your program screwed up in some kind a way. And we have Mitch Mitchell on drums and I loved to play mouther/mouthier??? more tuning....

feedback on stage

more tuning

Yeah we'd to dedicate this last song, oh wanna say thank you very much for staying with us this long man it was really outta sight because like you know we were just playing by ear anyway and see what's happening its a good thing you all did the same, cause I think we had a lot of fun at least I did I don't know about you. but like to say thank you very much we hope to get a chance to see you all again, very, very soon you know and ah, I'd like to dedicate these words to y'all, to the last tune of the evening so

Voodoo Child slight return ? Jimi begins the opening riff w/ a an early tease of Pass It On/Straight Ahead.(See Billy Cox' recollection of their first jam, pg 151 in UH, in which they played the ?pattern? of Straight Ahead), Jimi picks up Voodoo proper, strong opening, first position bend at :47, strong vocals by Jimi all night, yeah! He exclaims, slight scat ?yeah yeah yeah yeah?, at 1:30,

first solo at 1:54, sheets of sounds Jimi, strong first position bending w/ toggle switch, building tension at 3:13, jam settles a bit, where Jimi is playing low, adding country and blues infused voodoo signals/riffs, beautiful call and response at 4:24, 2nd big solo at 4:53, more feedback tremelo, mixolydian runs into ascending Noel propulsion, Jimi quiets it down near 5:55, fluid Jimi, eliminates an effect, blues triumph playing, notes near 6:39 sound very similar but more expanded to what he would pull out in the next show's Stone Free, Jimi morphs back into the Voodoo, his wha-wha pedal clearly going up and down via the recording as he quote's the intro riff, unleashes a quick bed of feedback before he jumps all over it with a virtual torrent of notes, nice variations at 8:08, Jimi feeling his entire rig, more EB cries before they all covalesce into an outro chord vamp, Jimi's amp still feeding back . Crowd loves it. Show is over, no encore.

I love shows like this where after reading how bad it was, you go into the listening and find out the show is actually quite good w/ quite a few amazing musical moments, which is true w/ the majority of live Hendrix.

After barely being able to discern what Jimi was saying on the Audience portion of the intro, the SBD recording was able to give me a clearer understanding of both Jimi's banter in between numbers as well as added clarity in the music itself.

Tax Free drips w/ psychedelia, Jimi sounds very comfortable in his Electric sermon. Hear My Train is excellent even if Mitch is off time for the first minute or 2, eventually they sync up and put forth an incredible effort. Sunshine of Your Love has some great improv and frankly has some of the best improvisational bass playing of Noel Reddding's brief 2 and 2/3 years with Jimi.

Spanish Castle deserves significant kudos in that it serves as a sign post for Jimi's music in the second half of 1969, Earth Blues and Message To Love both are teased, quoted and played in the jam. Jimi's brief tease of Pass It On/Straight Ahead in the intro of Voodoo Child reinforces the idea that Jimi was looking ahead, always.

mopper_smurf

Jimi-geekness FTW. THANKS!
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

kellerb

rowjimmy

Quote from: mopper_smurf on April 27, 2021, 05:37:56 AM
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimi-hendrixs-woodstock-marshall-super-lead-and-fender-jazzmaster-go-up-for-sale-on-reverbcom

My guess is that Paul Allen will buy these.

Saw those yesterday. The Jazzmaster is sick as you don't see a lot of footage/pics of Jimi playing one of those.

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

kellerb

mopper_smurf

Quote from: kellerb on April 29, 2021, 08:04:28 AM
Quote from: mopper_smurf on April 29, 2021, 01:40:17 AM
Quote from: kellerb on April 27, 2021, 01:16:25 PM
Quote from: mopper_smurf on April 27, 2021, 05:37:56 AM
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimi-hendrixs-woodstock-marshall-super-lead-and-fender-jazzmaster-go-up-for-sale-on-reverbcom

My guess is that Paul Allen will buy these.

He, uh, went to see jimi a couple years ago

Whoops. Totally missed that.

Jim Irsay is picking up his slack on the buying-famous-instruments front

Could be. He did buy Gilmour's Black Strat for a shitload of dollars.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

Caravan2001

mopper_smurf

Some dude captured the footage with his phone at the London screening of the film in 2019.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

mopper_smurf

Working my way through the box sets. It's up on YT right now.

Twitter | FB | Instagram

susep

Highlights from Jimi's last tour, ATM Aud sources with a merge here and there.  Enjoy.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zge6yd - Jimi Hendrix - Late Summer 1970.zip (173.71MB)

Straight Ahead - 9/4/70 Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany

All Along The Watchtower - 9/6/70 Isle of Fehmarn, Germany

Message To Love - 9/2/70 Vejlby-Risskov Hallen, Arhus, Denmark

Machine Gun - 9/4/70 Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany

In From The Storm - 9/1/70 Stora Scenen, Gothenburg, Sweden

Hey Baby - 8/31/70 Stora Scenen, Grona Lund, Tivoli Garden, Stockholm, Sweden

Freedom - 9/6/70 Isle of Fehmarn, Germany

Red House - 9/3/70 K.B. Hallen, Copenhagen, Denmark

Room Full Of Mirrors - 9/1/70 Stora Scenen, Gothenburg, Sweden

Power Of Soul - 9/4/70 Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany

Voodoo Child - 9/3/70 K.B. Hallen, Copenhagen, Denmark

1:18.32