News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Heads that don't know s#&$

Started by sophist, October 08, 2006, 12:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

To hell with that!
Know your shit or get off my rock!
:evil:

But seriously, folks... It's one thing to not know shit and be willing to learn but it's a whole other thing to not know anything and front like you know-all. (which, if you read the beginning of the thread, is what this whole thing is about.)

If you wanna bring it like that and I find you are full of it.. I'm shooting you down. no tears and no heartbreaking. no remorse.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 10, 2007, 09:05:21 PM
To hell with that!

But seriously, folks... It's one thing to not know shit and be willing to learn but it's a whole other thing to not know anything and front like you know-all. (which, if you read the beginning of the thread, is what this whole thing is about.)

If you wanna bring it like that and I find you are full of it.. I'm shooting you down. no tears and no heartbreaking. no remorse.

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

thechad

Damn, I had no idea that it had gotten that bad, I the last show I was at was Big Cyprus and I was a PA so I really didn't go out into the crowd at all if I was required to (the one time I did I got lost and almost had my gator stolen by one of those punks, while getting directions back to where I needed to be).  And as for buying any sort of drugs on the lot after watching a good friend get arrested at the Dead show in Highgate, VT in 95, I would never have even considered it, but the fact that they would go, buy tickets and take up space just so they could sell and/or score drugs that's just pathetic. Do drugs at home and watch TV and listen to tunes like everyone else!
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

rowjimmy

Highgate 95 seems to have been one fucked up show. 94 was beautiful. We were one of the first 50 cars in the lot and, when we parked and pulled our cooler out, a pack of 6 cops strolled past and said "keep the coolers in your vehicle."

We never saw another policeman that night. They dissolved like a spoonful of salt in a swimming pool...
Ginandtonics and mushrooms made that a glorious day...

thechad

Yes 94 was my 1st Dead show (95 being my second) and the scenes couldn't have been more different.  I was about 50 yards away from were the fence came down, and there were cops with dogs, I saw a guy get caught on the fence in the armpit trying to jump it and it was an awful experience all around, I ended up leaving about halfway through the 2nd set, because it wasn't at all a good experience, especially since 94 was one of the greatest concert going experiences in my life.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Red Sea Pedestrian

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 10, 2007, 09:05:21 PM
To hell with that!

I don't see why this has to be specific to Heads, any person who acts like a know-it-all when he doesn't really know shit is annoying, and deserves to be put in his place. It's for his own good.

rowjimmy

Yes... but the thread began with a specific point.

tross

not quite the same thing but either way: the other day this kid came into my dorm room, and this is a kid i dont like and have only talked to once.  so he sees my phish 'flag' and dead tapestry and is like "oh cool, theye good.  do you like o.a.r?" I had to restrain myself from hitting him and asked if he had ever heard phish or the dead and he was like "umm, yeah that one song, what is it?".  I quietly responded farmhouse and told him to get out

rowjimmy

Quote from: tross on February 21, 2007, 10:32:38 AM
not quite the same thing but either way: the other day this kid came into my dorm room, and this is a kid i dont like and have only talked to once.  so he sees my phish 'flag' and dead tapestry and is like "oh cool, theye good.  do you like o.a.r?" I had to restrain myself from hitting him and asked if he had ever heard phish or the dead and he was like "umm, yeah that one song, what is it?".  I quietly responded farmhouse and told him to get out

LOL
+k

redrum

glad i found this thread, its priceless.  :-D

this shit is funny, because its all soo true.  :clap:

heads that don't know sh*t =  :frustrated:

annoying heads that don't know sh*t =   :samurai:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

khanti

You know, frankly, when I first heard Phish, the poeple I knew looked down on me for not ever having heard them before. I can understand the pressure to lie about experience with a band, but not excuse it. At first it really put me off to the band. It was many months (10/90 to 2/91) before I went to see them and even then only because it was nearby and I knew the bitch who berated be for not knowing them was out of town.

But once i was there, the band 'spoke to me' in that way they do. And the bitch who thought I was 'uncool' for being a freshman who'd not heard of them. I have no idea, fuck her.

So yeah, we all started somewhere and didn't know much about the bands, but anyone who out-and-out lies about it in an effort to stay cool has another thing coming. they should take the folks who are judgemental about one's lack of band-knowledge and chuck 'em instead of lying about it. Find new 'friends'.

-khanti
QuoteThose Smallmouth are great on a flyrod. They're not all finicky like Trout. Trout are English and Bass are Polish.
-Greg Brown "Eugene"

sophist

Very valid point khanti.  I agree, I'm not dismissing someone for being a newbie, but I get sick of people who try to fluff their *status*

I guess the title of the thread should be "heads" that don't know shit. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Gumbo72203

I think the competition and fake aspect comes from people having a need to feel apart of something that is underground and special...  sort of a priveledged "hidden knowledge" almost, if you will.  Therefore, the people who know more of the 'occult' are the ones with higher status and more respect, and couple that with America's incessant indoctrination of gaining social status, well...  there you go. 

I think its OK for people to not be hugely into Phish.  Most of my friends who listen to Phish simply listen to Phish.  They like the music, they like the band, they liked going to see them.  They scored mushrooms or acid or nuggets on the lot, and then went and loved the show. 

I really think that talk about 'custies' and the kids who only go there for the drugs (my old heroin dealer went to IT; his brother is a hippie, but he listens to rap and is gH3TT0) kind of puts a stigma within the 'hip' crowd (read: us) of buying drugs on the lot, period.  What about the people like us, who have a general love of the music and are nerdy about it, but also want to have a transcendent, psychedelic experience while at the show? 

Should we walk around with a rolladex of all the shows we have and have been to, just to prove that we're here for the right reason, but also happen to be engaging in some of the recreational activities inherent to our scene?  I mean, when I've gone to shows and been looking for molly or mushrooms or whatever, I always feel like im being looked at as some custy kid simply looking for drugs and not caring about the music.  I mean, whenever I do find someone I try to make it apparent as soon as possible that I know my shit about drugs (how many mg's are in each pill?  Did you keep the sheet in the freezer, because heat and light destroy LSD? etc etc) as a way to defend myself against bunk shit. 

I kind of went on a tangent, like usual, but I think its OK if people don't know that much about the band they love, just so long as they admit that.  That way you know they're a legit person because they're able to admit their follies and lack of knowledge.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

sophist

Gumbo,
Not knowing and flat out lying are two different things.  Its ok to be new to any scene, but to make a statement like "The last time I saw Jer and company was 98" is bullshit, and thats where my beef lies.  When people lie just to impress others, its not right.  I'll treat a seasoned vet the same way as a new comer.