News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Ask a cop........

Started by PhishJY, October 12, 2006, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: phan003 on October 12, 2006, 04:01:26 PM
Now thats a good experience, I would of said the library  :roll:

yeah, he asked me who it was i was going to see and i told him... he said "never heard of him" and laughed
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

sophist

Quote from: whyweigh2.0 on October 12, 2006, 04:07:05 PM

yeah, he asked me who it was i was going to see and i told him... he said "never heard of him" and laughed

Its still cool that he was down, and understood the situation. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

were you dressed like the guy in your avatar?  That would've caused me to laugh too!!!!!   :-D
Quote from: whyweigh2.0 on October 12, 2006, 04:07:05 PM

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

PhishJY

Quote from: whyweigh2.0 on October 12, 2006, 04:00:06 PM
i got pulled over going 87 in a 55 not long ago and just got a warning.  i didnt have my seatbelt on either and he didnt even mention anything about that.  asked me where i was going in such a hurry and i told him i was late for a concert (keller williams) :-)   just told me to slow it down and let me on my way

I've never mentioned a seat belt to a driver.  I don't wear mine in my patrol car (a violation of policy), except during Click-It or Ticket.  I figure that if I don't wear mine, why should I force someone else to wear theirs.  Kinda the proverbial "pot calling the kettle black" IMO.

Speeding is another thing I rarely enforce.  If I'm driving the speed limit (pretty rare) don't pass me.  That's an insult.  However, if i'm running radar, I give 20 over.  I drive around 20 over, so I give the same.  If it's a 60 zone, i'll drive around 75.  If you're driving faster than 80 in a 60, you need a ticket anyways.

Quote from: whyweigh2.0 on October 12, 2006, 04:00:06 PM
i got pulled over going 87 in a 55 not long ago and just got a warning.

He was on his way to lunch with his wife/girlfriend! :-D
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

whyweigh5.0

nah, it was a state trooper hiding out watching a speed trap..  he got me, i knew he got me.  I hit my brakes as soon as i saw him but i knew he had clocked me already.  about 10 seconds later i looked in the mirror and saw him pulling out, so i got in the right lane and pulled off onto the shoulder (before he even had his lights on) because i knew he got me.  i try to be as cooperative as i can

and that is me in the avatar anyelope
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

VA $l!m

where does the slang '6-up' originate from??

anybody know that one??

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

antelope19

Quote from: whyweigh2.0 on October 12, 2006, 04:15:12 PM

and that is me in the avatar anyelope

Must have been tough getting that golf cart up to 87 on the way to the keller show!!!    :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

tet

mad respect to the fuzz.  my granddad was a NYC police officer in the 40s, 50s and 60s, so i know you guys usually are trying to do good stuff.  and, you put your lives on the line serving the law, which is something most average citizens wouldn't do. 

anyway, got more of a technical question for ya.  how the hell do radar detectors work if you're driving?  i've got a radar detector and will frequently pick up signal from cops on the road.  if two vehicles are moving in opposite (or even the same) direction, how does the radar pickup the accurate speed of the other moving vehicle?  is it tied into the car's speedometer and just does some fancy math?  or do they just sometimes leave it on when driving and ignore it?  i have a pretty good understanding of how most radar work (X, K, and Ka bands), but i just don't see how it could accurately pick up the speed of another moving vehicle if the unit itself is moving.

Quote from: PhishJY on October 12, 2006, 04:09:08 PM
I've never mentioned a seat belt to a driver.  I don't wear mine in my patrol car (a violation of policy), except during Click-It or Ticket.

tsk tsk tsk...  i've never been in a car without wearing a seatbelt.  guess i was just brought up with a healthy respect for the laws of physics (an object in motion will continue in motion in the same direction at the same velocity unless acted upon by another object of equal force in the opposite velocity and direction).  i think you have something like an 80% higher chance of being fatally injured in a car wreck if not wearing a seatbelt, irrelevant of airbag deployment (you'll just shoot right thru or over an airbag without a belt on, in videos i've seen)
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

i'd be dead if i didnt wear a belt.

i'd also be walking around with my pants around my ankles.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

Quotetsk tsk tsk...  i've never been in a car without wearing a seatbelt.  guess i was just brought up with a healthy respect for the laws of physics (an object in motion will continue in motion in the same direction at the same velocity unless acted upon by another object of equal force in the opposite velocity and direction).  i think you have something like an 80% higher chance of being fatally injured in a car wreck if not wearing a seatbelt, irrelevant of airbag deployment (you'll just shoot right thru or over an airbag without a belt on, in videos i've seen)
[/quote]
yea - an interesting and important personal statistic is that everyone I know that works in an ER or surgical ICU always wear seatbelts. I assume that is based on what they see of people that don't.

I've had good luck with the men in blue- I'm not gonna jinx it by repeating the stories but I have this habit of driving too fast. My wife has come across a couple of bad cops (one pulled her over just to try and pick her up) but this isn't "yell at a cop", and every profession, including mine, has its bad apples.

Agree with others on the board and will chime in with a general thank you.  :beers:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

whyweigh5.0

the only truly bad experience i have had with law enforcement was on the way to IT

last minute i got stuck without a ride and luckily i found out that one of my buds and his girlfriend and two other people were heading there, so i got a ride with them.  well, little did i know, and they didn't tell me was that his car was not inspected, did not have insurance and was not registered.. and he had fake plates on it.  so... going through somerset county in PA we get pulled over, this is when they tell me about the car being illegal.. assholes :x

so, this cop comes to the driver window and is asking question.. then all the sudden i hear him ask "whats that sir" as he points to the ashtray in the car.  my buddy was into rolling his own cigarettes so there were cigarette roaches in the ashtray.  he says they are rolled cigarettes and hands them to the officer.. the officer pulls them apart and smells them and says "even though this is tobacco and i can see that now, just because these look like roaches.. that gives me right to search this car".. then this other kid in the backseat starts getting lippy with him, i was just sitting back there quiet because i just want it to be over with.. (i was carrying). 

so he instructs us all to get out of the vehicle and we do and he proceeds to search the car.  doesn't find anything else, so he gets into the trunk and starts searching our bags..  he gets to mine and starts going through it when his backup arrives and distracts him... he must have been so distracted he didn't see anything in my bag and hands it back to me.. phew.  i was so relieved.  anyways, since the car is illegal they make us all get in the cruiser and leave our car on the side of the turnpike.  they drove us to the next exit (somerset) and just drop us off at this truckstop.. didn't ask if we had money or relatives or friends near by that could come get us...  they just left us there.  we ended up sitting at that truckstop for 7 hours trying to get a hold of someone that could come and get us.  luckily i got a hold of a buddy of mine back home and he drove all the way to get us, then being the kind soul he is, gave us a ride all the way to Maine... and we paid for a ticket for him to get into IT

that's my story :-D

oh, and on the way to the next exit he rolls the windows all the way down and says its because we smell bad and then he lights up a smoke

Marmar

On my way to the Ball in '96, driving up I88 in upstate NY we stopped at a gas station near Howe Caverns.......we all used the loo, and filled up my VW with gas......we drove away.......passed a NYS Trooper on the road out.....no big deal. Driving up the road my buddies and I are all havin a great time, drinkin Taddy Porters, hittin the J, etc.....

I was holding 1.5 sheets of LSD, and about a 1/4 of dank nugs......as far as I knew that was all we had becasue we planned on meeting my buds who were seriously holding up in the lot.......

Driving up I88, tunes blastin......look in the rearview and see flashing lights.....I knew I wasn't speeding through the speed trap they had set up (which I saw a mile away).......then another set of lights......and another......and another......4 cop cars lights blazin......I wasn't thinking anything of it. Then, the cops proceed to box me in, and pull me off the road.......by now I'm thinking WTF!?!?!......

Trooper comes up to my side.....gun drawn......pointing it at my head. "Slowly step out of the vehicle sir".....so I comply.....I get out, and the cop starts asking the usual ?'s...Where ya coming from, where ya goin, etc.....I answer him and all that.....then he reaches into his pocket and whips out an 1/8 of pot....."Someone drop this back there?"

FUCK.....I check my waist band very stealthily......wasn't mine.......so I said "Nope...I didn't drop that much pot...if I did, I'd realize it and go back for it".....we both had a laugh about it......So for the next 10 minutes they're ?'ing my friends...none of whom own up to it......so they ask for consent.....I gave in cuz to the best of my knowledge they wouldn't find my shit......So they start tearing my VW apart.....one of em yells "GRAB EM!"....wtf....so we get slammed to the ground.......fucker found a piece of foil in my stove, got out the test kit, rubber gloves, etc......I was laffin my ass off.......the spent 20 minutes opening it slowly to discover......

It was foil.

They continue to search my VW......and here's where it goes nutty.......

A-HA!....they found an old pipe...no biggie...say it's mine and they keep on goin.....then they open my buddy's bag.......6 pipes later, they are in awe that we needed 7 pipes......then one fucker is poking around and yells "BINGO!".....

Out of the back of my bus, I see him exit with a large brown paper bag....I knew it wasn't mine...........I see my buddy hang his head......cop reaches in and pulls out a 1/4lb cut into 1/8's.....I was SOOOOOOO pissed.......my buddy immeadiately owned up to it being his.......

So as we are getting arrested, the cop asks us why we didn't just tell him we had it to save ourselves the time.....my buddy says "well....we paid a lot of $ for these tix, and we didn't wanna go to jail"......The cop is holing up this enormous bag and goes "Jail?...lol....this is under and ounce"

At that moment my buddy and I just looked at each other and silently smiled......we signed out tickets, and away we went......

The cops gave us the wrong court date.....so when we went before the judge he only had our tickets to go by, which said "Posession of Pot, and Paraphenalia". The judge goes "You get cought with a pipe?". "Yes sir." we answer.....

$50 fine later (we paid as we left so it was done with) we drove back home.....

Ya think the cops smoked it?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

birdman

Nice thread PhishyJY...once again, much respect to you and your brothers. You dont have an easy job.

Here's my question...Do those Fraternal Order of Police stickers actually help out a driver at all? If so, where do I aquire one? Do you need to be family, friend, or just donate some cash to the order?
   My police story is this... I Snowplow on a State Contract on my local highway. There is a town cop who works with us when he is off duty. Ive never seen a guy party like this man. He is an absolute beast of a man 6'5 250, but he is a big teddy bear at heart. He's the guy pulling the kids over, confiscating their weed, and then smoking it all in huge joints (sometimes on duty). He drives around in his plow with a 30 pack bungee corded to the running boards of his truck, tossing empties out the window :roll:   Sadly, his run ended and he is now serving 5 years in a state Penn for a sexual assault charge (off duy). He had a good run, but his new position is not one I'd want to be in.
   Keep protecting and serving :mrgreen:
Paug FTMFW!

sls.stormyrider

when I was in school my friend had this 1st floor apt. when we would strain out seeds we just threw em over our heads out the window without thinking about it. The next fall, the "fruits of our labor" grew and we had a few plants outside the window. Nothing great, but it did in a pinch.
One afternoon, 2 cops walked in and asked about the plants. The confiscated them, the small bag on the table, and my friends lighter. They told us we could claim the lighter at the station if we wanted...
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

birdman

Quote from: slslbs on October 12, 2006, 07:16:12 PM
when I was in school my friend had this 1st floor apt. when we would strain out seeds we just threw em over our heads out the window without thinking about it. The next fall, the "fruits of our labor" grew and we had a few plants outside the window. Nothing great, but it did in a pinch.
One afternoon, 2 cops walked in and asked about the plants. The confiscated them, the small bag on the table, and my friends lighter. They told us we could claim the lighter at the station if we wanted...
Reminds me of the time my friend had some nugs mailed to him in college. The package never showed and a week later Ups calls and says his package was damaged in shipping would he like to come claim it at their local office :roll:.... I dont know anything about a package was the response. Nice try, coppers :lol:
Paug FTMFW!