News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 26, 2022, 08:57:41 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 14, 2022, 09:37:08 AMBilly String at Stubbs last night was epic. They were late coming on... and he apologized for it before even playing a note.

Honestly, Billy was super awkward onstage and it took a minute before he counted off the first song. Then there was more awkwardness between songs all night. Playing was super tight and got out there a bunch but between songs was awkward.

Finally, late second set Billy says, "I only ate one mushroom. I didn't think it'd do this to me."

Excellent!

I've found that the same strain (different batches) from the same producer can have varying levels of potency.
Good on him for diving in before taking the stage.
I'll have to give this show a listen today.

I've listened twice now. It holds up. Really good show. And I'm not wrong about the awkwardness. But musically amazing. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Not really a show, but Dave Weckl gave a drum clinic in Portsmouth NH last night. The guy is amazing. As I was driving home I didn't know if I should either just give it up or just spend the rest of my life practicing.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

khalpin

Quote from: sls.stormyrider on November 08, 2022, 12:31:22 PMNot really a show, but Dave Weckl gave a drum clinic in Portsmouth NH last night. The guy is amazing. As I was driving home I didn't know if I should either just give it up or just spend the rest of my life practicing.
Awesome! That must've been cool to see.  What was the setting like?  I've never been to a clinic before.

sls.stormyrider

It was at the Drum Center of Portsmouth - a 2 story store that sells only drums/percussion. His kit was set up in the 1st floor with a bunch of chairs, theater style (they estimated 200 people). He spoke a bit, demonstrated some things he was speaking about, played to a commercial play along track from his band that he produced, had Q+A, played a couple other tunes with more Q+A. Comments included technique, grip, kit set up, mics, playing with a band, examples of different things you could play and how to play it. He's a great educator and seems like a genuinely nice guy.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

WhatstheUse?

Sounds like a good time, he's incredible.

I totally understand the feeling of being inspired yet defeated at the same time after watching someone that talented. The thing is, there will always be someone better than you and no matter how good you get, there's still infinite aspects of drumming you could improve upon.  Its a never ending journey!
Bring in the dude!

sls.stormyrider

Yep
In the end, it's just more things for me to practice and work on.

Besides, I got a new kit this summer. If I stopped my wife would kill me.
I do need to find a new band though

mopper_smurf

So, the John Cale in London got cancelled for the obvious reasons - I went over there anyway to stock up on books and visit the museums with my so. 

My last show was Porcupine Tree in Amsterdam. It was fucking epic and they filmed the whole thing, so fingers crossed for a release in the near future. No sea of smartphones as per the band's urgent request, but someone posted footage of Anesthetize, a track that the Phish from Vermont should try someday.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Billy Strings in Richmond!
We were bundled up against the cold when Billy came out for this late-in-the-season amphitheater gig. He tree down a terrific and fun show and we managed to stay warm to the end.

Dude continues to impress and the band slays too. So glad he added the fiddle player.

Buffalo Budd

I caught Ravi Coltrane with Ele Howell (drums) and Gadi Lehavi (keys/bass) on Saturday at Koerner Hall in Toronto.
Music was mindblowing with incredible arrangements of both Alice and John's music. He also sprinkled in an original, which may have been the highlight of the show for me.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2022, 07:59:22 AMBilly Strings in Richmond!
We were bundled up against the cold when Billy came out for this late-in-the-season amphitheater gig. He tree down a terrific and fun show and we managed to stay warm to the end.

Dude continues to impress and the band slays too. So glad he added the fiddle player.
sick
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

TTB at the Orpheum this past Friday and Saturday.
Not sure what else I can say about Derek Trucks that hasn't been already said.
Tight band, great mix of "songs", horns, exploratory improv. Probably the best version of Whipping Post I witnessed (guestimate about 20 combining ABB and TTB), and that wasn't even the single best highlight.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sls.stormyrider on December 08, 2022, 06:30:19 PMTTB at the Orpheum this past Friday and Saturday.
Tight band, great mix of "songs", horns, exploratory improv. Probably the best version of Whipping Post I witnessed (guestimate about 20 combining ABB and TTB), and that wasn't even the single best highlight.

Gonna get to see them in Orlando in January when I'm in town for a conference. Love when shit like that lines up! 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

yes - it's like some other force is telling you to go.

that happened to me a while back - was in SF for a meeting and Phil& Friends happened to be in town playing the "album tour"

susep

Quote from: sls.stormyrider on December 08, 2022, 06:30:19 PMTTB at the Orpheum this past Friday and Saturday.

Very impressed by their recent Moon series project.  Great horn augmentation, free jazz, hindu inspired guitar work among other highlights.  They have ascended to a new space no doubt.     

antelope19

Got to see Keller Williams in Tampa on 12/09. It had been almost 10 years since I had seen him last and I had a great time. He played some new stuff and a ton of his older tunes too. The drive home after the show totally sucked(almost 2 hours). Next time will grab a hotel. I'm too old for that crap lol.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment