News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

My Morning Jacket Edgefield 9/27/08

Words can't describe how awesome this show was.  Kicked it with caravan and scored a Burwell print, good times!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on September 28, 2008, 03:49:35 AM

Words can't describe how awesome this show was.  Kicked it with caravan and scored a Burwell print, good times!

QFT....these guys are on a bona fide upward trajectory....so amazing...just a sick, sick show.  They keep getting better....makes me wanna go to the NYE show for sure....

jam>

Quote from: caravan2001 on September 28, 2008, 02:43:55 PM
Quote from: Hicks on September 28, 2008, 03:49:35 AM

QFT....these guys are on a bona fide upward trajectory....so amazing...just a sick, sick show.  They keep getting better....makes me wanna go to the NYE show for sure....

I'll be at the NYE show. I'm psyched. They seem to have the perfect sound to fill an arena.

mopper_smurf

Local heroes Junior Eats Alone. made my first ever "YouTube" with a total crap recording device here:

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

sls.stormyrider

Not really a "show", but went to the open jam session yesterday at Wally's cafe.
Mostly Berklee students - actually one of the profs who had played with Wynton showed up.
Great stuff, these kids can play.

a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in Boston, just for the price of drinks.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Poster Nutbag

Just seen Santana!!! Absolute KILLER!!!! show...   Man it was my first time catching him alone, seen him one time back in the 80's at a jazz fest... but this show met far more than I expected!! He played for about 2 1/2 hours... The drummers at this show alone were worth the cost of the ticket... Karl Perrazza of course we all know is a master of his art!! but Dennis Chambers absolutly had me floored and Raul Rekow was also present on the conga's...WOW!!! Carlos still just tears it up!!! I was very glad I went...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

natronzero

Austin City Limits Music Festival
Sept 27th & 28th
(WARNING: This is going to be a long post - sorry, it was a long and amazing weekend!)

My first time to attend ACL, I guess surprising since I live in Austin. I'd always had my reasons for not attending - I haven't had the money, I'd always previously worked in restaurants which means weekends were hard to take off, September in Austin is scorching hot, etc.

These days I'm mostly working M-F, but I've been a little broke, so the possibility of going to the fest was still not really on my radar. My boss's wife works for one of the major sponsors, so they always get free wristbands. They ended up having an extra, and on Thursday my boss asked me if I'd be interested in going on either Saturday or Sunday, and another friend of theirs would take the wristband the other day. I said sure, and after looking over the schedule decided on Saturday.

So on Friday he left work around noon to get to the fest and I was working on a few things around the brewery and running a few deliveries before the weekend, and about an hour after leaving he called and told me that their friend couldn't make it, so the weekend pass was all mine! I didn't leave work until about 6 on Friday and already had some obligations anyway, so unfortunately I ended up missing David Byrne, Del, Gogol Bordello, Jenny Lewis, Antibalas, Mates of State and some others, but oh well.

Anyway, here's what I did get to see:
SATURDAY
CSS Awesome. Boundless energy, the crowd was hyped, the band was obviously having fun and apparently amazed at the size and intensity of their reception. Lovefoxxx kept screaming things in between songs like "Oh my Fucking GOD it's so HOT here!" and "I cant believe how MOTHERFUCKING HOT it is in Texas!!", and "Yeah Motherfuckers!!!!YEAHHHHH!!!!". Insanely fun, perfect start to the weekend for me.
  Over the next hour there was no one playing that I felt like I had to see an entire set of, so I bounced between Erykah Badu (from what I saw she killed, up until she started sort of rambling about politics for about 10 minutes, at which point I walked away), Black Joe Lewis and the HoneyBears (high-octane, filthy-mouthed soul), and Les Freres Guisse - these guys were great. Three Senegalese brothers, two of them play guitars and the third plays various hand drums and they sing together beautifully. This is where I ended up sort of settling, and I wish I could have finished their set but I had to get over to another stage early to stake out my spot for
Spiritualized
Holy Shit. Hands down, my favorite set of the weekend. I've seen them a few times before, but this was back in the Pure Phase/Ladies and Gentlemen days, so it had been 10 or 12 years, and the memory of how powerful and intense they are live had dulled a little. A few newer songs, and an Amazing Grace opener, but really very heavy on the older tunes (Shine a Light, Walking with Jesus, Lay Back in the Sun, Come Together, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space...). Even in broad daylight, one of the best live bands I've ever seen.
  So after that, I was kind of walking around in a dazed afterglow, and ended up bouncing around a little. I started with Yonder Mountain String Band - now, I like these guys and was looking forward to seeing them, but they presented me with the first of several strange juxtapositions that would occur over the weekend. This could have been the greatest YMSB show ever, but after seeing Spiritualized, they just didn't stand a chance. I was not feeling it. I ended up wandering over to The Black Keys. Hmm. Pretty energetic, could have been a fun show (a lot of people were pretty thrilled with their set), but still I wasn't feeling it. Moved over to another stage briefly to check out John Fogerty, before heading across the park to claim my spot for
Roky Erickson. Wow. Ok, that was more like it. A seriously scorching, triumphant performance. This was my first time seeing him live, and I noticed a few subtle indications of the mental illness he still works on managing, but when he was playing it was just awe-inspiring.
  By the time Roky was done, the sun had gone down and Robert Plant and Allison Krauss were starting. Wow again. They played for about an hour and a half and were totally captivating. An incredibly eclectic and entertaining set, including a cameo by T-bone Walker and The Battle of Evermore (!).
SUNDAY
Got to the park around 1pm on Sunday, just in time to see The Octopus Project. Always so much fun to see live, these guys are a truly original band, and Yvonne Lambert is a genuine theremin virtuoso. Midway thru their closing song, what looked like a high school band rushed out onto the stage to jam the climax of the song.
After that I headed over to see Gillian Welch, stopping off to check out The Kills along the way. They sounded Ok I guess, not great. I found it pretty annoying that between songs Allison Mosshart wouldn't stop bitching about the heat, and not in a funny way followed by total entertainment like CSS did. Yes it was hot, but not nearly as hot as it gets, and frankly all of us were out there in the heat, so fucking get over it. Gillian Welch's set was great, of course, and featured an Allison Krauss appearance, but as with Spiritualized the day before, I was still buzzing from Octopus Project and had trouble getting into anything else .
 After that was Stars. I really really enjoyed this set. Never exactly transcendent, but a well performed, really fine show. These guys also really seemed to be thrilled to be there, which is pretty endearing in any band.
 Over the next hour there were a few shows going on that I wanted to see. Neko Case was closest to where I was, so I checked her out first. Sounded good, but after 20 minutes or so I headed over to catch Colour Revolt. I'd seen these guys before and enjoyed them a lot, but I felt their dark, moody sound just didnt translate that well to an outdoor venue in the middle of the afternoon, so I headed over to check out Silversun Pickups. I was expecting to really enjoy them a lot too, but they had the same dark thing going on as Colour Revolt, and just seemed a lot more noisy and screechy than on album, so after only about 10 minutes I headed back to Neko Case to finish out her set.
Okkervil River. OK, wow again. They're from Austin so I've heard them here and there for a long time, and thought they were pretty good, but for some reason had never bothered to catch them live. They were great, a lot more rockin than I was expecting. I'm definitely going to try to see them again.
And then it was The Raconteurs...
As soon as Okkervil was over I turned around and headed over to see the Raconteurs, and it was as though 2/3 of the 75,000 people in attendance had the same idea. This was the biggest single crowd I saw around any stage the whole weekend. I kind of fought my way around one side and found a spot I liked well enough and settled in to enjoy the show. Holy fucking shit, they just killed it from the first note. Then, about midway through the show they played Steady As She Goes, and as soon as it was over about half the crowd turned around and took off, probably to go hear Gnarls Barkley play Crazy.   :-D Their loss, because the rest of the set was really hot.
  By the time that was over, it was dark and the dust bowl that Zilker Park had become was taking on a strange, spooky quality. I headed over to the WaMu stage (I saw a bunch of people getting their pictures taken next to the WaMu logo over the weekend - the irony was well appreciated) to check out Galactic w/ Chali 2na. I was pretty worn out and just about ready to call it a night, but this show was totally invigorating. They were supposed to be done 15 minutes after I got over there, but they ended up going over by an hour. Chali 2na was incredible. I've always thought he was one of the most underrated voices in hip hop, and his two appearances during Galactic's set were the definite highlights.
  The festival closers were Foo Fighters, but I just don't care about them enough to bother, and I was pretty spent, so that's when I decided to head off. Overall, it was an incredible set of shows, and I've become a convert. As long as the lineup is this good I'll definitely make a point of attending every year from now on.
If you've made it this far, thanks for listening!
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

mattstick

Just got back from Hot Chip - crowd sucked, band was decent, solid show but didn't leave me sweaty and wanting more.

Loved the Ibiza arrangement of Ready For The Floor however.

blatboom

Sigur Ros.  September 27, Red Rocks.  September 28, Great Saltair.

9/27
Quoteheysátan
fljótavík
all alright
njósnavélin
ný batterí
við spilum endalaust
hoppípolla
með blóðnasir
inní mér syngur vitleysingur
festival
dauðalagið
sæglópur
hafsól
gobbledigook
----
illgresi
popplagið

9/28
Quotesvefn-g-englar
ný batterí
e-bow
svo hljott
heysátan
við spilum endalaust
hoppípolla
með blóðnasir
inní mér syngur vitleysingur
festival
hafsól
gobbledigook
-----
sæglópur
popplagið

Right.  My first live SR experiences were everything I was hoping for.  Red Rocks is in fact all that.  I've now been both there and the Gorge and I can't choose a favorite--call it a draw.  That show started off real chill and the audience was quiet and attentive.  Once the energy started to pick up though things got a little rowdy which was fine I suppose.  Njosnavelin and Daudalagid were unexpected and huge treats.  But Saeglopur and Popplagid were my personal highlights on the sheer power they pack, the band went nuts on these tunes.  I love all the songs off the new album so much as well (except All Alright, which was my piss break).  Not once did I lament the lack of Amiina or horns, these guys get it done fine all by themselves.  I left RR only missing Glosoli and Svo hljott, confident I would hear them the next night..

The Great Saltair was an interesting contrast in that it's a standing-room only dump of a club (but it is right on the bank of the Great Salt Lake which is amazing).  But once the show started, having all that soaring music bottled into that little venue worked wonders.  They wisely went with a much more rocking setlist and we got E-bow and Svo Hljott, which was played to perfection.  I did get snubbed on Glosoli which was surprising, but they packed both Saeglopur and Poplagid in the encore!!!  What a Fucking Huge way to end my weekend and I left not really comprehending it all.  I'm dying to find recordings of these shows and I'm already looking forward to my next experience.  Do yourself a favor and go see them if you ever get the chance.

Red Rocks:

Mr Minor

Anyone else excited about being able to say "Phish" in this thread???   :-D

Caravan2001

Saw Jackson Browne last night here in Portland- really good show.  I know Hicks is not a fan, but I was really impressed.  had second row center seats, so we were about 10 feet from the stage.  Killer venue too.  The guitar player for JB is one of the greatest guitar players I have ever seen, anywhere.  This guy is sick!  He nailed all the David Lindley pedal steel lines too.  So many great sounds out of this guy's rig, i could not believe it, or take my eyes off of his fingers.  just insane.  the rest of the band was top notch too, and Jackson sounded ok too.  A mix of classics and new songs, which were good.  For once I was the youngest person at the show  :lol:

Hicks

Quote from: caravan2001 on October 01, 2008, 06:37:10 PM
Saw Jackson Browne last night here in Portland- really good show.  I know Hicks is not a fan, but I was really impressed.  had second row center seats, so we were about 10 feet from the stage.  Killer venue too.  The guitar player for JB is one of the greatest guitar players I have ever seen, anywhere.  This guy is sick!  He nailed all the David Lindley pedal steel lines too.  So many great sounds out of this guy's rig, i could not believe it, or take my eyes off of his fingers.  just insane.  the rest of the band was top notch too, and Jackson sounded ok too.  A mix of classics and new songs, which were good.  For once I was the youngest person at the show  :lol:

werd the Schnitz is dope, stoked to be seeing Sigur Ros there next week.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

Cake at Pier 6 Pavilion in Baltimore last night.  This show was everything I was hoping for and then some!  If you even remotely like this band, you should go see them.  Other than the dvd I watched at Augs house this spring when I was up there for the Mets game, I had never actually seen them, only listened to their albums.  They played the majority of their "hits" and even some of their older, more obscure tunes from Motorcade.  I felt the setlist was heavy on Prolonging the Magic, but overall, a very nice mix of their catalogue.  They even threw in their versions of War Pigs and I will Survive.  There was a concert "first" for me as well.  The lead singer had one of their roadies bring a tree on stage.  He stopped the show and called on people in the audience to name the tree.  If you got it right, you got to take it home.   :-D  It ended up being a Granny Smith Apple tree, but we were so far in the back of the pavilion because we had snuck under, that there was really no way for us to tell(or get called on).  Oh and the security at Pier 6 was the slackest i'd ever seen it there.  It made for an even more enjoyable night.         
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mopper_smurf

An awful cover band playing at the fair in my hometown We are celebrating today that the Spanish army was defeated in 1575  :beers:
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

antelope19

Quote from: antelope19 on October 03, 2008, 09:13:08 AM
Cake at Pier 6 Pavilion in Baltimore last night.  This show was everything I was hoping for and then some!  If you even remotely like this band, you should go see them.  Other than the dvd I watched at Augs house this spring when I was up there for the Mets game, I had never actually seen them, only listened to their albums.  They played the majority of their "hits" and even some of their older, more obscure tunes from Motorcade.  I felt the setlist was heavy on Prolonging the Magic, but overall, a very nice mix of their catalogue.  They even threw in their versions of War Pigs and I will Survive.  There was a concert "first" for me as well.  The lead singer had one of their roadies bring a tree on stage.  He stopped the show and called on people in the audience to name the tree.  If you got it right, you got to take it home.   :-D  It ended up being a Granny Smith Apple tree, but we were so far in the back of the pavilion because we had snuck under, that there was really no way for us to tell(or get called on).  Oh and the security at Pier 6 was the slackest i'd ever seen it there.  It made for an even more enjoyable night.         

Oh, and by the way, if anyone see's a copy of this floating around in their internet travels, a heads up would be much appreciated!  :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment