News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gol D. Roger on July 04, 2009, 04:58:47 AM

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Guess i'll have to check out Blood Meridian after this  :-)

I'm thinking about reading The Road, myself. Film is coming out soon and I want to read the book before the film ruins it.

susep

just finishing Robert Greenfield's Dark Star, an oral biography of Jerry Garcia, I'm sure a lot of you have read it as well.  Fascinating insights into Garcia's life, I may have read it 8 or 9 times but the cool thing about it is, I learn something new each read or get a new spin on something so in that sense its like a  :syf: improvisation, "the wheel keeps turning and it can't slow down"

I was browsing pics of Jerry and saw this one w/ Jerry diving in Hawaii May 90 w/ GD roadie/stage mgr./Garcia lifeline Steve Parish on the right and at the time Jerry's gf Barbara Meier, one of if not his first gf going back to pre-65.  Its cool to see Jerry having fun outside of music as well(note, check out Jer's missing digit on Barbara's right shoulder/arm).

gimmetela

Still Life with Woodpecker

i love tom robbins.

rowjimmy

Quote from: gimmetela on July 04, 2009, 07:54:12 PM

i love tom robbins.

Loved that book.

Guyute

Right now it's Freakonomics for me.  Interesting stuff so far.  The Roe vs. Wade/crime rate stuff caught me off guard.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 04, 2009, 07:57:17 PM

i love tom robbins.

Loved that book.

ditto.

Dee... villa incognito, next.... do it.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Mr Minor

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 04, 2009, 11:30:07 AM
Quote from: Gol D. Roger on July 04, 2009, 04:58:47 AM

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Guess i'll have to check out Blood Meridian after this  :-)

I'm thinking about reading The Road, myself. Film is coming out soon and I want to read the book before the film ruins it.

Do it.  It's phenomenal.  Find a day or two to just sit down and read it.  You will be happy you did.

inourdr

Quote from: susep73 on July 04, 2009, 07:41:08 PM
just finishing Robert Greenfield's Dark Star, an oral biography of Jerry Garcia, I'm sure a lot of you have read it as well.  Fascinating insights into Garcia's life, I may have read it 8 or 9 times but the cool thing about it is, I learn something new each read or get a new spin on something so in that sense its like a  :syf: improvisation, "the wheel keeps turning and it can't slow down"

I was browsing pics of Jerry and saw this one w/ Jerry diving in Hawaii May 90 w/ GD roadie/stage mgr./Garcia lifeline Steve Parish on the right and at the time Jerry's gf Barbara Meier, one of if not his first gf going back to pre-65.  Its cool to see Jerry having fun outside of music as well(note, check out Jer's missing digit on Barbara's right shoulder/arm).

Awesome whale shirt but not as cool as the wolf shirt.

sprobeck

Quote from: susep73 on July 04, 2009, 07:41:08 PM

The guy on the right is not Steve Parish.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

sophist

I just finished "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" and it was flipping hilarious.  Tucker Max might be one of the worst human beings on this earth, but he is easily one of the most entertaining as well. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cactusfan

Over The Edge of The World by Bergreen.
a really great account of Magellan's circumnavigation of the world back around 1520.
an insane adventure. took three years and the few sailors who actually made it all the way around sailed a total of 60 thousand miles. most died on the way.

sls.stormyrider

Belushi

great book so far. Written as a string of interviews with different people strung together.
i never realized how instrumental he was with 2nd City, and National Lampoon radio hour
a true comic genius
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

flow00

Mr Minor

Quote from: flow00 on July 08, 2009, 03:28:41 PM

i love tom robbins.

Loved that book.

My favorite Robbins book.

For me it's 2nd behind Roadside Attraction.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr Minor on July 08, 2009, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: flow00 on July 08, 2009, 03:28:41 PM

i love tom robbins.

Loved that book.

My favorite Robbins book.

For me it's 2nd behind Roadside Attraction.

I have to agree with Mr.Minor on this one.

Both are great books. though.