News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 09, 2009, 12:27:01 PM
Quote from: Sophist on July 09, 2009, 09:37:04 AM
Quote from: mattstick on July 09, 2009, 08:29:31 AM

This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession.

Heady stuff.
I read that a few years back, that is a great book imo.  Real insightful into the science behind how our brains hear music. 

I know I mentioned it in here awhile back, but you both should pick up Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, I think you guys would dig it.
I'll check it out, thanks for the rec. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

keeb333

A Swiftly Tilting Planet for discussion with my son as part of our "home summer reading" venture.

Just finished the first two of the series...it's been so long since I'd read them I'd forgotten how good they are!

rowjimmy

Quote from: keeb333 on July 09, 2009, 03:10:24 PM
A Swiftly Tilting Planet for discussion with my son as part of our "home summer reading" venture.

Just finished the first two of the series...it's been so long since I'd read them I'd forgotten how good they are!

Nice.

Mr Minor

I teach A Wrinkle in Time in my 7th grade class.  It's a fun book with some great themes and allusions.

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 09, 2009, 03:20:09 PM

Nice.

i was just thinking about reading those again. loved them when i was like 10 or whatever.

keeb333

Quote from: Mr Minor on July 09, 2009, 03:43:22 PM

I teach A Wrinkle in Time in my 7th grade class.  It's a fun book with some great themes and allusions.

Awesome!  As far as themes go, I was thinking about discussing finding strength in your faults and how "reality" changes as our perception changes.  Also, individuality and free choice vs. "freedom" from having to make decisions.  Any other suggestions?

gah

Quote from: keeb333 on July 10, 2009, 10:35:14 AM

Awesome!  As far as themes go, I was thinking about discussing finding strength in your faults and how "reality" changes as our perception changes.  Also, individuality and free choice vs. "freedom" from having to make decisions.  Any other suggestions?

I've never read these books, but after that post plan on doing so. Thanks keeb!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

keeb333

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 10, 2009, 10:49:50 AM

I've never read these books, but after that post plan on doing so. Thanks keeb!

Man, they are really good and read fast.  Also, pretty heavy stuff for young adult literature!  The first two of the series received Newberry medals, if that tells you anything.

Mr Minor

Identity/individuality are a couple of great ones from that book.   Also good vs. evil and the triumph of love.  A few others I teach are a little more in depth:  inadequacy of words and the idea that one (Meg) cannot know everything.  great themes for young adults to consider.  Quite relevant to their own lives.

unclepaulie

Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole, and am reading the American Federalist Papers now.
If you can't find dancin' girls, the next best thing is a good bottle of whiskey and a fine cigar.

gah

Quote from: unclepaulie on July 14, 2009, 09:18:30 AM
Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole, and am reading the American Federalist Papers now.

Ha! That book had me cracking up, literally, sometimes I'd be reading and just burst out in laughter! Been meaning to re-read it for a couple years now....

unclepaulie

^^ Yeah, I was re-reading it myself. After me and my gf hit the PA and IN shows we drove to New Orleans, and I was like: "There are 3 things I want to do: 1) Eat Crawfish, 2) Pee in the mouth (ewww) of the Mississippi (I had taken a leak at the start of the river a few years back when visiting Bemidji, MN and it just seemed symbolically important...) and 3) Take my picture with the Ignatius Reilly statue on Canal street....

I got the crawfish, but forgot about peeing in the river (Nola has a way of making you forget things, especially when you have a bunch of fine gooballs you brought along for the ride) and the camera took a dump on the last day so I couldn't get my picture.

Guess I'll have to go back. Darn my luck...
If you can't find dancin' girls, the next best thing is a good bottle of whiskey and a fine cigar.

kellerb

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 14, 2009, 10:14:50 AM
Quote from: unclepaulie on July 14, 2009, 09:18:30 AM

Ha! That book had me cracking up, literally, sometimes I'd be reading and just burst out in laughter! Been meaning to re-read it for a couple years now....

I read that a few years before I had ever visited NOLA, and I think I missed out b/c I'd never been there.  I need to re-read as well.

unclepaulie

It was incredible how different an experience that book was after visiting NOLA. I only wish I had read it more recently before going (it had been a couple years), to check out the different spots mentioned. Would love to have seen Ignatius' street, etc.

gah

Quote from: unclepaulie on July 14, 2009, 12:50:54 PM
It was incredible how different an experience that book was after visiting NOLA. I only wish I had read it more recently before going (it had been a couple years), to check out the different spots mentioned. Would love to have seen Ignatius' street, etc.

Yeah, I read it while living down there, so it was great.