News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

Dan Brown. The Lost Symbol. Meh-tastic.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on September 15, 2009, 01:41:03 PM
I enjoy reading George Will, he's a douche, but his arguments are always well written and I think he does have a flair for prose.
Quote from: cactusfan on September 15, 2009, 04:13:52 PM

a wise decision.

as for eggars, i can sure do without his books, but at least he's used his money and fame to create an organization called 826 Valencia, which provides all kinds of great writing classes for kids. it's a very cool thing.

as for spike jonze being 'the man'... so far he's had the good sense to direct charlie kaufman scripts. Wild Things he wrote himself along with dave eggars. which if you read the big nyt article last week on it, jonze proudly proclaims that they didn't want to have any kind of story that made sense. they just wanted stuff to happen. so, yeah. hm. i fear the worst.

I approve of these two quoted posts.

Especially the shout out to 826 Valencia/McSweeny's/The Believer.

Dave Eggers may not write the type of prose that you desire to read, but he has done excellent work for literature in general.  The Believer and McSweeny's are the two best "rags" currently being published.  If you have not read either, you are totally missing out.  I especially appreciate that a month after David Foster Wallace's death, McSweeny's published an entire issue dedicated to his life and career.

cactusfan

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on September 16, 2009, 08:43:29 AM
I enjoy reading George Will, he's a douche, but his arguments are always well written and I think he does have a flair for prose.

a wise decision.

as for eggars, i can sure do without his books, but at least he's used his money and fame to create an organization called 826 Valencia, which provides all kinds of great writing classes for kids. it's a very cool thing.

as for spike jonze being 'the man'... so far he's had the good sense to direct charlie kaufman scripts. Wild Things he wrote himself along with dave eggars. which if you read the big nyt article last week on it, jonze proudly proclaims that they didn't want to have any kind of story that made sense. they just wanted stuff to happen. so, yeah. hm. i fear the worst.

Dave Eggers may not write the type of prose that you desire to read, but he has done excellent work for literature in general.  The Believer and McSweeny's are the two best "rags" currently being published.  If you have not read either, you are totally missing out.  I especially appreciate that a month after David Foster Wallace's death, McSweeny's published an entire issue dedicated to his life and career.

while i appreciate the intent of mcsweeney's and the believer, i gave up actually reading mcsweeney's a few years ago. it's just become way too insufferable.

rowjimmy

Quote from: cactusfan on September 16, 2009, 08:40:13 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on September 16, 2009, 08:43:29 AM

a wise decision.

while i appreciate the intent of mcsweeney's and the believer, i gave up actually reading mcsweeney's a few years ago. it's just become way too insufferable.

Excellent choice of words.

Alumni

Emergency Sex (and other desperate measures)

Memoirs of three UN Peacekeepers who served in various hells on earth during the 90s. Pretty good so far.
Cause I got a degree

justjezmund

Quote from: shoreline99 on September 16, 2009, 08:40:22 AM

tell me its not so, i was looking forward to this
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

gah

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 17, 2009, 02:57:02 PM

I, as well. It happens.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

While I can see how McSweeny's could be perceived in that light...  I do not see how The Believer can fall in that category.

The Believer is what mags should be.

Gol D. Roger

Quote from: Gol D. Roger on September 16, 2009, 06:02:35 AM

Serge Gainsbourg: A Fistful of Gitanes - Sylvie Simmons

Excellent biography, highly recommended.

next:

The Castle - Franz Kafka
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

cactusfan

Quote from: Gol D. Roger on September 18, 2009, 02:19:02 PM

next:

The Castle - Franz Kafka

great book. but so very frustrating that he didn't finish it.

have you read The Trial? that's my favorite of his.

Gol D. Roger

Quote from: cactusfan on September 18, 2009, 07:11:07 PM
Quote from: Gol D. Roger on September 18, 2009, 02:19:02 PM

next:

The Castle - Franz Kafka

great book. but so very frustrating that he didn't finish it.

have you read The Trial? that's my favorite of his.

yeah i did, right after we read 'the metamorphosis' in school (which is my fave), but i got bored after a while.
gonna give it another chance after 'the castle'.
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

shoreline99

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 17, 2009, 03:59:59 PM

I, as well. It happens.

OK, to clarify:

storyline = mehtastic, it's pretty true to Dan Brown formula.

factually, also like his previous books, the novel is very interesting and worth the read.

not saying more as it's hard to discuss without giving spoilers.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

sprobeck

The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough. Follows the story of Pride and Prejudice--20 Years Later!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

gah

Quote from: shoreline99 on September 23, 2009, 03:26:57 PM

I, as well. It happens.

OK, to clarify:

factually, also like his previous books, the novel is very interesting and worth the read.

ok, so here;s the question. Should i go ahead and get the hardback or is it mehtastic enough to just wait for the paperback version to come out?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 24, 2009, 01:07:12 AM
Quote from: shoreline99 on September 23, 2009, 03:26:57 PM

I, as well. It happens.

OK, to clarify:

ok, so here;s the question. Should i go ahead and get the hardback or is it mehtastic enough to just wait for the paperback version to come out?

Libraries are free...
/just sayin