News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprobeck

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 27, 2009, 07:13:47 PM
Quote from: Gol D. Roger on December 27, 2009, 07:07:49 PM
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

good luck!

That's an incredible novel. I really enjoyed it.  Didn't always know what was going on but you just have to go with the flow...
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

gainesvillegreen

In the middle of this one. Not the place to start if you haven't read this writer, but I would encourage all paugers to start somewhere:

Book Description:
A young English biographer is researching a book about the late South African writer John Coetzee, focusing on Coetzee in his thirties, at a time when he was living in a rundown cottage in the Cape Town suburbs with his widowed father-a time, the biographer is convinced, when Coetzee was finding himself as a writer. Never having met the man himself, the biographer interviews five people who knew Coetzee well, including a married woman with whom he had an affair, his cousin Margot, and a Brazilian dancer whose daughter took English lessons with him. These accounts add up to an image of an awkward, reserved, and bookish young man who finds it hard to make meaningful connections with the people around him.

Summertime is an inventive and inspired work of fiction that allows J.M. Coetzee to imagine his own life with a critical and unsparing eye, revealing painful moral struggles and attempts to come to grips with what it means to care for another human being. Incisive, elegant, and often surprisingly funny, Summertime is a compelling work by one of today's most esteemed writers.

Brief author bio:
J.M. Coetzee's work includes Waiting for the Barbarians, Life & Times of Michael K, Foe, and Slow Man, among others. He has been awarded many prizes, including the Booker Prize (twice). In 2003, he received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Review in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/books/review/Dee-t.html?_r=1&ref=review
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

whyweigh5.0

I got the new Phish bio for Christmas so I set down Killing Youself To Live and started this.  I should really just finish one before starting another but once I started flipping through it I couldn't put it down
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

cactusfan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on December 28, 2009, 12:29:21 PM
In the middle of this one. Not the place to start if you haven't read this writer, but I would encourage all paugers to start somewhere:

Book Description:
A young English biographer is researching a book about the late South African writer John Coetzee, focusing on Coetzee in his thirties, at a time when he was living in a rundown cottage in the Cape Town suburbs with his widowed father-a time, the biographer is convinced, when Coetzee was finding himself as a writer. Never having met the man himself, the biographer interviews five people who knew Coetzee well, including a married woman with whom he had an affair, his cousin Margot, and a Brazilian dancer whose daughter took English lessons with him. These accounts add up to an image of an awkward, reserved, and bookish young man who finds it hard to make meaningful connections with the people around him.

Summertime is an inventive and inspired work of fiction that allows J.M. Coetzee to imagine his own life with a critical and unsparing eye, revealing painful moral struggles and attempts to come to grips with what it means to care for another human being. Incisive, elegant, and often surprisingly funny, Summertime is a compelling work by one of today's most esteemed writers.

Brief author bio:
J.M. Coetzee's work includes Waiting for the Barbarians, Life & Times of Michael K, Foe, and Slow Man, among others. He has been awarded many prizes, including the Booker Prize (twice). In 2003, he received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Review in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/books/review/Dee-t.html?_r=1&ref=review

i read Waiting for The Barbarians a while ago and liked it a lot. i'll have to check out some other books by him at some point.

Hicks

Just finished this and re-affirmed that I never want to go to jail.  Powerful stuff.

http://www.descottenterprises.com/~alex/ptstory_cont.html
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

flow00

I love Denis Johnson's work. I'm reading this one now:

Hicks

Quote from: flow00 on December 28, 2009, 05:28:27 PM

He was damn good with the Celts in the 80s too.   :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gainesvillegreen

Ditto. Good writer.

sls.stormyrider

just finished Omnivore's Dilemna.

makes me even happier about our garden..

Starting Paul McCartney, A Life

read John Lennon, A life earlier this year. should be an interesting comparison
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

cactusfan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on December 28, 2009, 09:49:58 PM

Ditto. Good writer.

i liked Tree of Smoke a lot. he wrote Jesus' Son, right? is that the best one to read next? i've never read any of his other stuff.

just read The Left Hand of Darkness, a '69 sci fi novel by Ursula Le Guin. very good. dreamy and strange.

now reading The Atrocity Exhibition by Ballard. extremely odd in a William S. Burroughs kind of way...

gainesvillegreen

Tree of Smoke is a bit like a Rosetta Stone of his output. Many different characters from many of his novels make their way in and out of it. Which is pretty cool given it took him twenty years to write (during which time he, obviously, was publishing those other novels).

I am reading Jesus' Son at the moment, and not a bad next step to take with Johnson at all. I've read The Name Of The World and Nobody Move as well as one other I think. Nobody Move is a great quick read, kind of in the same vein as Pynchon's recent Inherent Vice.

gainesvillegreen

Finished up Bolano's The Skating Rink tonight. Thought it fun as Bolano always is, but you can tell it is one of his earlier efforts (boxes are 'secreted' into rooms? - might be the translation, but I'm guessing not).

Bolano's Monsieur Pain comes out on 1/12 I think, FYI. 2-3 other works of his, a lot of short stories included - his finest medium imo - are coming out this year. April and June and one later I believe.

Time to finish up Johnson's Jesus' Son, and then move on to something else. The Spring semester is only a couple of weeks away, and there will be no time for all this good stuff  :cry:

Anyone read Norman Rush? I've read his story collection Whites, but not his novels. They are on the to be read pile, but not sure if I can get to one of them before Psych and Pharm start...

mbw

impacting me in a big way......

Mr Minor

Kurt Vonnegut

Slapstick

Great stuff.  Love Vonnegut!

Gol D. Roger

The Books of Albion - Peter Doherty
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"