News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: Mr Minor on January 07, 2010, 08:47:29 AM
Kurt Vonnegut

Slapstick

Great stuff.  Love Vonnegut!

thats my fav vonnegut.

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 07, 2010, 12:16:14 AM

impacting me in a big way......

Just read a little bit about this. I am going to have to give it a read, especially after seeing Food Inc. I have really started thinking about what I eat and where it comes from, and the impact of processed foods and our way of farming, and the importance of eating locally grown, organic foods instead.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 07, 2010, 09:48:05 AM

Just read a little bit about this. I am going to have to give it a read, especially after seeing Food Inc. I have really started thinking about what I eat and where it comes from, and the impact of processed foods and our way of farming, and the importance of eating locally grown, organic foods instead.

srsly.

one of my favorite books i own.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sprobeck

Stephen E. Ambrose--Undaunted Courage. Fascinating!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: sprobeck on January 07, 2010, 05:57:45 PM

Read that many moons ago, Ambrose really does a good job in his books of writing more like a "fiction" writer than a historian.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

MiamiPhish

1984 - first time, believe it or not.

Mr Minor

Quote from: MiamiPhish on January 08, 2010, 09:23:11 AM
1984 - first time, believe it or not.

Enjoy. 

I'll be watching you.

sprobeck

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on January 08, 2010, 09:16:13 AM
Quote from: sprobeck on January 07, 2010, 05:57:45 PM

Read that many moons ago, Ambrose really does a good job in his books of writing more like a "fiction" writer than a historian.

Absolutely! I love his comments about the events!!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

cactusfan

Under The Volcano - Malcolm Lowry

an intense read, a bit hard to get through. beautiful writing. all takes place over one day, focusing on an alcoholic and his often meandering and drunk thoughts. the first chapter was particularly tough to follow, as it turns out it takes place one year after the events in the rest of the book. i had to re-read that chapter once i was done with the book, so i could actually understand what it meant--and it means a lot. kind of hard not to consider this a brilliant book overall, but it's a challenge to see through. great ending, too.

sophist

Kurt Vonnegut

Slapstick

I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five right now. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cactusfan

Quote from: sophist on January 15, 2010, 04:00:59 PM
Kurt Vonnegut

Slapstick

So it goes.

Mr Minor

Quote from: cactusfan on January 15, 2010, 04:27:41 PM
Quote from: sophist on January 15, 2010, 04:00:59 PM
Kurt Vonnegut

Slapstick

So it goes.

Love that one.  I have his memoir up next, Armageddon in Retrospect.

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

postjack

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 07, 2010, 09:48:05 AM

here is the book that changed the way I eat forever:

http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-Eaters-Manifesto/dp/0143114964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263658586&sr=1-1

I saw Food Inc. afterwards, which just solidified the deal.  Pollan is not a scientist, he is a journalist, so some of his claims are just that, claims, but most of it just makes good sense, and works.  His is the movement away from "nutrionism" and back towards eating whole foods. IIRC he was featured in Food Inc. several times.

current read:

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n4/n24697.jpg

Tim Powers - Declare

as with most good Tim Powers books, I'm a quarter of the way through and have no idea what the hell is going on.  A WWII spy novel with an as yet unknown supernatural element.  entertaining stuff.

Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

VDB

Food Inc. is buried somewhere in the Netflix queue so those books might make for good companions.

Right now, two chapters into:

Is this still Wombat?