News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Paul Auster  - New York Trilogy

really good. consists of three sort-of-detective stories, which really end up being about identity and about writing. his style is low key and kind of detached, yet very involving nonetheless.

mbw

gonna work my way up to and take a stab a finnegans wake.

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 17, 2010, 03:39:22 PM

Having trouble sleeping lately?  :tte:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 17, 2010, 03:43:18 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 17, 2010, 03:39:22 PM

Having trouble sleeping lately?  :tte:

nah, i just really want to be a member of the c.r.a.f.t. club

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: cactusfan on August 17, 2010, 12:48:49 PM

really good. consists of three sort-of-detective stories, which really end up being about identity and about writing. his style is low key and kind of detached, yet very involving nonetheless.

First books of his you've read? I like him too, would recommend Book Of Illusions if you haven't read it. 
A less than stellar review of his work, but it is recent:
http://www.themillions.com/2010/08/old-tricks-finally-come-together-a-review-of-paul-austers-invisible.html
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

cactusfan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on August 18, 2010, 11:38:19 AM

First books of his you've read? I like him too, would recommend Book Of Illusions if you haven't read it. 
http://www.themillions.com/2010/08/old-tricks-finally-come-together-a-review-of-paul-austers-invisible.html

people seem to really love or hate auster. interesting.
i previously read Moon Palace and liked it quite a bit.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: cactusfan on August 18, 2010, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on August 18, 2010, 11:38:19 AM

people seem to really love or hate auster. interesting.
i previously read Moon Palace and liked it quite a bit.

Yeah, seems to me he is what he is, and asking him to be more (or less) is silly. I think his next book is his 25th or thereabouts, and at that point, writers aren't going to change what they do (look at Philip Roth or V.S. Naipaul - writing about the same things all the time). For me, I've read about 5-6 of his books, and enjoyed them, and will read Invisible if I can get my hands on it at the library. Which is a good distinction - he is a writer I "borrow" more than I "buy" I guess.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

DeviousGelatin

Working my way through this one right now.. it's really good, if you're into WWII history.

Just finished this a couple days ago... amazing, disturbing, and fascinating. Not for the faint of heart, though.

"He's sittin at the piano, lookin' sharp. He's a guy, who looks sharp at the piano."  --Trey Anastasio, 'Ode to Page's New Shirt'

birdman

Currently reading WAR by Sebastian Junger.
"Sebastian Junger, the author of the bestselling "Perfect Storm," has a new book out called "War," based on the time he spent with an army platoon in Afghanistan and chronicling the experiences of the men in that platoon.

Junger gets at some huge questions about war in the book, from its relation to love and to fear to why people desperately miss it when they leave the army. What it comes down to in most cases, said Junger, is brotherhood. "There are guys in the platoon who straight-up hate each other, but we'd all die for each other," one soldier told him. When they leave, they miss that brotherhood. They miss being fundamentally necessary. "That is a very very reassuring place to be," Junger said."

Pretty great read.
Paug FTMFW!

Mr Minor

justjezmund

buddy of mine let me borrow this.  i have never dived in deep in readings of  :syf:  but ive heard good things bout this so wtf.

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

DeviousGelatin

Still working my way through Churchill's book on WWII, and reading this book by neuroscientist Oliver Sacks as well. Really fascinating stuff about how the brain processes music, how memory and music work, and how music is used in therapy for people with brain injuries or disorders.

"He's sittin at the piano, lookin' sharp. He's a guy, who looks sharp at the piano."  --Trey Anastasio, 'Ode to Page's New Shirt'

gah

Quote from: DeviousGelatin on September 08, 2010, 10:59:58 AM
Still working my way through Churchill's book on WWII, and reading this book by neuroscientist Oliver Sacks as well. Really fascinating stuff about how the brain processes music, how memory and music work, and how music is used in therapy for people with brain injuries or disorders.

Solid, I mentioned that awhile back. I haven't checked this other one out that people mentioned, but am adding it to my list right now. You might be interested in that one too...

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 09, 2009, 12:27:01 PM
Quote from: Sophist on July 09, 2009, 09:37:04 AM
Quote from: mattstick on July 09, 2009, 08:29:31 AM

This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession.

Heady stuff.
I read that a few years back, that is a great book imo.  Real insightful into the science behind how our brains hear music. 

I know I mentioned it in here awhile back, but you both should pick up Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, I think you guys would dig it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

DeviousGelatin

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 08, 2010, 11:09:32 AM
Solid, I mentioned that awhile back. I haven't checked this other one out that people mentioned, but am adding it to my list right now. You might be interested in that one too...

Awesome, thanks! This one (Musicophilia) is definitely a bit over my head, but it's really interesting nonetheless. It'd be cool to read something similar that's aimed at a layman's understanding rather than a neurologist's.   :-P

I'll definitely add that to the list. +K for you, sir.

tet

Dylan- Chronicles Vol 1 was excellent, and i really enjoyed that Rock Scully book too.

Already finished Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Girl Who Played With Fire, now up to the final book of the trilogy and am totally loving it.  too bad he had to go and die...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish