News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

given your mutual likes of robbins and sake, you should read 'villa incognito.'

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 26, 2011, 11:40:33 AM
given your mutual likes of robbins and sake, you should read 'villa incognito.'

Solid. Added to my list of books to look for from the local used book shop I hit up.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

birdman

I just finished Tom Robbins' "B is for Beer". Billed as a "children's book for adults, An adults book for children." I read it in two sittings and now my 13 yo is reading it. Pretty entertaining.
Paug FTMFW!

phil

I'm currently about halfway through 'Robinson Crusoe.' I'm shocked that I haven't read this until now, shit is reaaal good.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

whyweigh5.0

I quit reading that Karma Wrapped in Chocolate and dipped in something or whatever it was.  I couldn't get into it.  Maybe it would have picked up a little more into it but I didn't want to wait it out and see

So now I am reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

cactusfan

i "read" Keith Richards' book. meaning i skimmed a good deal of it. it's absurdly long and boring. obviously the publisher told him to write about drugs, because that's mostly what the book's about, and however many drugs Keith has done, he doesn't have a single new or interesting thing to say about them. and of course he didn't write the book, he was just interviewed by a writer who then wrote everything down, so it just reads like Keith talking.

as for the music, here and there he talks about it with some depth. those are the best parts of the book. but as far as albums go, he barely has anything to say about them, mostly it's just 'and then we recorded those songs,' and the it's back to heroin being a real bitch. yawn.

Mr Minor

Although it was an easy read, still a really cool story.

The Hunger Games

Recommend for anyone with middle school age kids that want to read a book with their kid.

Or for anyone that appreciates an interesting story that's just a fun read.

birdman

Quote from: Mr Minor on January 29, 2011, 09:16:27 AM

The Hunger Games

Recommend for anyone with middle school age kids that want to read a book with their kid.

I loved this book. My daughter read it and recommended I read it. Really lots of fun, think S. Jackson's The Lottery combined with S. King's The Long Walk.
The next book in the series is ok. The third is downright horrible. Apparently a movie version is in the works. Hopefully they just stick to book I.
Paug FTMFW!

Mr Minor

Quote from: birdman on January 29, 2011, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Mr Minor on January 29, 2011, 09:16:27 AM

The Hunger Games

I loved this book. My daughter read it and recommended I read it. Really lots of fun, think S. Jackson's The Lottery combined with S. King's The Long Walk.
The next book in the series is ok. The third is downright horrible. Apparently a movie version is in the works. Hopefully they just stick to book I.

Yes!  I forgot about The Long Walk!  What a great short story.  I am going to have to go back and reread that.

I just started the 2nd book, and isn't looking good.

I imagine the movie version will be 'kid friendly' but could be so much better if they make it intense and more PG-13 ish. 

sls.stormyrider

when I was a kid someone gave me the Complete Sherlock Holmes as a gift, i think it was for my Bar Mitzvah.
just started reading it recently
so far read A Study in Scarlet, now on The Sign of Four
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: slslbs on January 30, 2011, 05:38:48 PM
when I was a kid someone gave me the Complete Sherlock Holmes as a gift, i think it was for my Bar Mitzvah.

:-o

It took you 40 years to finally get around to "opening" your gift. Awesome!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 31, 2011, 10:32:22 AM

It took you 40 years to finally get around to "opening" your gift. Awesome!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Serves them right for not just giving cash... like normal people do for Bar Mitzvahs .
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 31, 2011, 10:46:30 AM

Serves them right for not just giving cash... like normal people do for Bar Mitzvahs .

Ser. I made mad loot at mine!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 31, 2011, 10:51:43 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 31, 2011, 10:46:30 AM

Ser. I made mad loot at mine!

I thought Hindus waited for their "Super-Sweet-Sweet-Sixteen" parties.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sprobeck

The Wave by Susan Casey. Thanks Mom!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!