News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: phil on January 27, 2011, 11:08:31 PM
I'm currently about halfway through 'Robinson Crusoe.' I'm shocked that I haven't read this until now, shit is reaaal good.
My dad read that to my brother and I when we were kids.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

cactusfan

Thomas Pynchon - V.

great book, Pynchon's first. hadn't read it since college, long ago.

gah

Just picked this up over the weekend.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

whyweigh5.0

Well I got bored reading Fear And Loathing on The Campaign Trail '72.  It's not that it's a bad book.  Just not in the mood to read something that political right now.  So I went to the bookstore the other night and grabbed this.  Been meaning to pick this one up for a little while.  I've read that if you like The Big Lebowski then you'd really like this, so I had to get it to see.

Im only about two chapters in but so far it's been pretty good
http://inherent-vice.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Inherent_Vice
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

phuzzyfish12

Finished reading "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe a couple of weeks back and I was a little underwhelmed by it. I think the story could have been told in less pages and I didn't like the lead character but overall I would say its a pretty good read.

Now I'm reading:

"The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (book club read)

The novel, set in post–Spanish Civil War Barcelona, concerns a young boy, Daniel Sempere. Just after the war, Daniel's father takes him to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a huge library of old, forgotten titles lovingly preserved by a select few initiates. According to tradition, everyone initiated to this secret place is allowed to take one book from it, and must protect it for life. Daniel selects a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. That night he takes the book home and reads it, completely engrossed. Daniel then attempts to look for other books by this unknown author, but can find none. All he comes across are stories of a strange man – calling himself Laín Coubert, after a character in the book who happens to be the Devil – who has been seeking out Carax's books for decades, buying them all and burning them.

AND

"The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story of the Men Who Risked All for the Greatest Rescue Mission of World War II" by Gregory A. Freeman (personal choice)

Bombing of the Ploiesti, Romania, oil refineries, a key German resource, started in 1942. Allied pilots sustaining damage frequently bailed out over Serbia in German-occupied Yugoslavia, where the resistance and others hid them. By 1944, more than 500 were stranded and slowly starving. The OSS concocted the daring Operation Halyard to airlift them, but they had to construct a landing strip without tools and without alerting the Germans or endangering local villagers, and then the rescuers had to avoid being shot down themselves. The operation's story is an exciting tale, but it was kept from general knowledge for decades; the resistance leader most responsible was a rival to Tito. Nazi-baited by a Stalinist mole in British intelligence, he was executed in 1946 with the consent of Britain and America, which thereafter refused to acknowledge having been snookered (the State Department kept many details classified more than 50 years). Evoking the rescuees' successive desperation, wild hope, and joy, and their gratitude to the Serbians who risked their lives to help, Freeman produces a breathtaking popular account.

Mr Minor

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 11, 2011, 04:47:09 PM
Finished reading "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe a couple of weeks back and I was a little underwhelmed by it. I think the story could have been told in less pages and I didn't like the lead character but overall I would say its a pretty good read.

Now I'm reading:

The novel, set in post–Spanish Civil War Barcelona, concerns a young boy, Daniel Sempere. Just after the war, Daniel's father takes him to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a huge library of old, forgotten titles lovingly preserved by a select few initiates. According to tradition, everyone initiated to this secret place is allowed to take one book from it, and must protect it for life. Daniel selects a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. That night he takes the book home and reads it, completely engrossed. Daniel then attempts to look for other books by this unknown author, but can find none. All he comes across are stories of a strange man – calling himself Laín Coubert, after a character in the book who happens to be the Devil – who has been seeking out Carax's books for decades, buying them all and burning them.

Sorry Charlotte didn't live up to the hype.   :|  I liked it b/c I liked the basketball aspect of JoJo and the trainwreck of Charlotte's college experience.  Tom Wolfe is a stickler for detail, hence the many pages.  It's something you either love or can pass up.  I went on to read A Man In Full and loved it.  But again, lots of pages.  Of course, some say his best books are Bonfire of the Vanities and The Right Stuff.  Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is alright, but you have to be in the mood for it.  Not light reading by any means...

The Shadow of the Wind sounds interesting.  You will have to let me know how it is.

khalpin

"Reading" this one in the car, as it's an audiobook on CD from the library.

Real book at home:

cactusfan

Ken Kesey - Sometimes A Great Notion

a really good book. i'd forgotten how great a writer kesey is. haven't read Cuckoo's Nest since high school, though i think i'll re-read it soon.

birdman

Quote from: cactusfan on February 17, 2011, 03:45:26 PM

Ken Kesey - Sometimes A Great Notion

a really good book. i'd forgotten how great a writer kesey is. haven't read Cuckoo's Nest since high school, though i think i'll re-read it soon.
Read SAGN this summer. Blew me away.
Paug FTMFW!

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: Mr Minor on February 12, 2011, 08:01:37 AM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on February 11, 2011, 04:47:09 PM

Now I'm reading:

Sorry Charlotte didn't live up to the hype.   :|  I liked it b/c I liked the basketball aspect of JoJo and the trainwreck of Charlotte's college experience.  Tom Wolfe is a stickler for detail, hence the many pages.  It's something you either love or can pass up.  I went on to read A Man In Full and loved it.  But again, lots of pages.  Of course, some say his best books are Bonfire of the Vanities and The Right Stuff.  Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is alright, but you have to be in the mood for it.  Not light reading by any means...

The Shadow of the Wind sounds interesting.  You will have to let me know how it is.

No worries on Charlotte...the booked ended exactly how I wanted it to so it did make the read worth it. I have Electric Kool-Aid lined up to read soon but I think I'm gonna but a little more distance between that and Charlotte Simmons.

whyweigh5.0

heh
I was looking through a box of books of mine in the basement and came across a book of Wavy Gravy's.  Signed by him.  I remember when I got this.  Met him at a festival and talked a bit.  He signed my book and took a picture.  He has some bad handwriting
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

kellerb

Quote from: whyweigh5.0 on February 17, 2011, 04:45:36 PM
heh
I was looking through a box of books of mine in the basement and came across a book of Wavy Gravy's.  Signed by him.  I remember when I got this.  Met him at a festival and talked a bit.  He signed my book and took a picture.  He has some bad handwriting

I have to assume he's into cursive letters

whyweigh5.0

rowjimmy

Mastering Exchange Server 2010

Such tension... I can't wait to see how they resolve it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 18, 2011, 08:14:16 AM
Mastering Exchange Server 2010

Such tension... I can't wait to see how they resolve it.

SPOILER ALERT:

(the machines win)