News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

double dipping....

the Demonology of King James....

and

My Appetite for Destruction by Steven Adler

kinda the same book \m/

phuzzyfish12

I just finished reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

If you've ever wondered what your dog is thinking, Stein's third novel offers an answer. Enzo is a lab terrier mix plucked from a farm outside Seattle to ride shotgun with race car driver Denny Swift as he pursues success on the track and off. Denny meets and marries Eve, has a daughter, Zoë, and risks his savings and his life to make it on the professional racing circuit. Enzo, frustrated by his inability to speak and his lack of opposable thumbs, watches Denny's old racing videos, coins koanlike aphorisms that apply to both driving and life, and hopes for the day when his life as a dog will be over and he can be reborn a man. When Denny hits an extended rough patch, Enzo remains his most steadfast if silent supporter. Enzo is a reliable companion and a likable enough narrator, though the string of Denny's bad luck stories strains believability. Much like Denny, however, Stein is able to salvage some dignity from the over-the-top drama.

I highly recommend this book to dog owners and dog lovers. The book is told through the eyes of a dog and if you ever wanted to know what your dog is thinking when they look at you, watch you, etc this book does a great job of showing that point of view.

I tired reading "The Long Walk" but ended up putting it down about halfway through. I was hoping by then I would have gotten some answers to my questions, why they were walking, how they got chosen, etc, but they were never answered and it created no suspense for me and I ended up not caring why they were walking.

fauxpaxfauxreal

There was a large cash prize for walking.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 26, 2011, 10:35:21 AM

If that's what really happens I'd be pretty disappointed in the book.

whyweigh5.0

Still reading Everything Is Illuminated.  i didn't get started on it really until about a week ago so I am only about 1/2 way through.  I'm enjoying it a lot so far.  Has anyone seen the movie?  Is it worth seeing?
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on April 26, 2011, 11:38:03 AM

You're talking about the Bachmann (Stephen King) novella right? I think it's a part of the beginning where they explain that it is a contest for a cash prize.

mistercharlie

A little 'educational' reading. Plus I have the green light from Dagny to start brewing in our kitchen!  :beers:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VDB

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 26, 2011, 07:21:58 PM

A little 'educational' reading. Plus I have the green light from Dagny to start brewing in our kitchen!  :beers:

Bravo!
Is this still Wombat?

birdman

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 26, 2011, 07:06:52 PM

You're talking about the Bachmann (Stephen King) novella right? I think it's a part of the beginning where they explain that it is a contest for a cash prize.
I believe the prize was "anything the winner wanted". All your questions are answered by the end of the book.
Paug FTMFW!

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: birdman on April 26, 2011, 08:26:31 PM

I believe the prize was "anything the winner wanted". All your questions are answered by the end of the book.

That's the impression I was starting to get about the prize also.

I'm sure at some point I'll eventually finish the book, but for the time being it really wasn't holing my attention.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on April 26, 2011, 09:43:52 PM

I'm sure at some point I'll eventually finish the book, but for the time being it really wasn't holing my attention.

The point wasn't really what the prize was or the ending, from what I remember, it was more about what happened to the people as they walked.

It was kind of like a character study.

postjack

Just finished, now on to:

both from the Anthony Bourdain book club. :-D
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

gah

Just picked up:

Looks like a quick, easy read. It's his memoir about the first 20 years of his life in NOLA, up until he headed up to Chicago.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 26, 2011, 11:01:44 PM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on April 26, 2011, 09:43:52 PM

The point wasn't really what the prize was or the ending, from what I remember, it was more about what happened to the people as they walked.

It was kind of like a character study.

Maybe it came across wrong but I'm not really concerned with the "prize" is, but rather what would drive them to walk.

Just some of my unanswered questions: How has the country changed that this is okay? Is it really so bad that people need to volunteer for this? Are people volunteering? If so what are the parameters to become a volunteer? Why does the country think its okay? Why are people supporting the long walk? ......... I have many more but you get the idea.

I think that at 200+ pages into a 371 page book some of these questions should have been answered but for me they weren't so overall King just didn't make me care about the characters and why they are walking.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Yeah, they never really answered those questions.  Like I said, that wasn't really the point from my standpoint.

I think he just wanted you to fill in those sorts of "details" on your own.  Or just to give you something to think about.