News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Quote from: phil on August 05, 2011, 10:51:57 PM
Quote from: kellerb on August 05, 2011, 10:49:16 PM
Finally finished Dharma Bums.  the first half took me forever, but the 2nd half took about a day.

That's how it went for me too. I read it after climbing Desolation Peak, it was very cool to know exactly what he was talking about. Probably my favorite by Kerouac.

Agreed, def my fav Kerouac. I got through it pretty quick though, I loved it. Desolation Angels on the otherhand...not so much.

rowjimmy

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on August 05, 2011, 11:00:13 PM
Finally finished Dharma Bums.  the first half took me forever, but the 2nd half took about a day.

That's how it went for me too. I read it after climbing Desolation Peak, it was very cool to know exactly what he was talking about. Probably my favorite by Kerouac.

Agreed, def my fav Kerouac. I got through it pretty quick though, I loved it. Desolation Angels on the otherhand...not so much.

Dharma Bums is an amazing book. It's been my fav since I first read it.
Desolation Angels is a bit darker but I love it too.

Igbo

The Road by Cormac Macarthy. Not the most uplifting at the beach read, but really good and can't put it down.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Igbo on August 06, 2011, 09:25:45 AM
The Road by Cormac Macarthy. Not the most uplifting at the beach read, but really good and can't put it down.

Read that last summer on my vacation.
Super heavy page-turner.

Multibeast12

Finally finished the third dark tower and haven't been able to put this 4th one down.

kellerb

Quote from: Multibeast12 on August 18, 2011, 04:24:40 PM
Finally finished the third dark tower and haven't been able to put this 4th one down.

I like the 4th one a bunch.  Now you'll catch up!

birdman

Quote from: kellerb on August 18, 2011, 07:51:45 PM

Probably my favorite of the series. Although, book 7 is the tits too.

I Just finished this. Cant remember who recommended it here, but thank you. Awesome read.

Paug FTMFW!

Casey Lenahan

Read the first twilight books in prison, now im on the 3rd.

also if anyone gets the chance read Hotel New Hampshire, I found it in my jail cell, great book, weird, but good!
I owe Aug $20

cactusfan

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

hadn't read it since high school. very weird book, even by PKD standards. interesting how entirely different from the movie it is. i forgot that the terms 'blade runner' and 'replicant' weren't even in the book. of even greater note, the entire meaning of the book is the opposite of the movie. while the movie is all about showing how metaphorically we humans are the same as the replicants, the point of the book is to show what separates humans from the androids--empathy. this is why in the movie it works that Deckard is himself a replicant. in the book that would make no sense at all.

blatboom

Quote from: cactusfan on August 18, 2011, 11:40:41 PM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

hadn't read it since high school. very weird book, even by PKD standards. interesting how entirely different from the movie it is. i forgot that the terms 'blade runner' and 'replicant' weren't even in the book. of even greater note, the entire meaning of the book is the opposite of the movie. while the movie is all about showing how metaphorically we humans are the same as the replicants, the point of the book is to show what separates humans from the androids--empathy. this is why in the movie it works that Deckard is himself a replicant. in the book that would make no sense at all.

the concept of Blade Runner changed drastically once Ridley Scott was brought on board.  you should get your hands on "Dangerous Days", which is the 2.5 hour long feature on the making of Blade Runner. fascinating stuff.

Mr Minor

Dexter by Design

On the fourth book of the series.  Interesting reads.  Better than the show, imo, and so much darker.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 05, 2011, 11:53:57 PM

I like them both, but Dharma Bums is the best....you guys should check out Big Sur if you havent, it's a good one....it took me a long time to get through The Subterraneans, not sure even if I have actually finished it and it is short.....

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 22, 2011, 01:00:32 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 05, 2011, 11:53:57 PM

I like them both, but Dharma Bums is the best....you guys should check out Big Sur if you havent, it's a good one....it took me a long time to get through The Subterraneans, not sure even if I have actually finished it and it is short.....

Big Sur is the dark heartbreaker.

Subterraneans is a great anti-love story.

I've read 90% of Jack's books and, now that I've mentioned On The Road and Town and The City, all of my favorites are in this post.

Dharma Bums being #1.

mopper_smurf

Starman: David Bowie
Paul Trynka

Well written, funny at times and the writer isn't afraid to point out which of his albums suck. I agree with him mostly, but I stlll hate Let's Dance.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

gah

Quote from: birdman on August 18, 2011, 08:07:49 PM
Quote from: kellerb on August 18, 2011, 07:51:45 PM

Probably my favorite of the series. Although, book 7 is the tits too.

I Just finished this. Cant remember who recommended it here, but thank you. Awesome read.

Shantaram is a helluva book. And apparently, it was supposed to be the first of 3, but I never heard anything about the next two. Johnny Depp did buy the rights tho and they'll be making a movie based on this first one. Also haven't heard anything more on that though.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.