News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Neil Gaiman's American Gods

I've been meaning to read this book for years and am just now getting to it. I am liking it so far.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 04, 2012, 08:57:06 AM

I've been meaning to read this book for years and am just now getting to it. I am liking it so far.

my 10 yr. old daughter is reading this in class right now...

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mistercharlie

Quote from: mehead on April 04, 2012, 09:03:17 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 04, 2012, 08:57:06 AM

my 10 yr. old daughter is reading this in class right now...

American Gods is much more adult-oriented than The Graveyard Book.

My wife just finished reading The Graveyard Book for a project she's doing for the kids at the Central Library downtown. That's kinda what made me finally pick up American Gods.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Lifeboy

Just started this last night. I was at the book store and looked up recommendations for a good science fiction novel, and this was recommended several times, so I went with it. After doing some more research once I got home, I saw where this is being made into a movie starring Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley that will be released in March 2013. Perfect timing.

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

VDB

I saw American Gods on the bookshelf at home recently, guess the wife picked it up. I haven't read any of his books but I think it's kind of funny seeing Neil Gaiman's name floating around considering I think of him as a comic book writer first, going back to my comic-nerd adolescence.

I am reading:

Follows the Chatham A's during a season in the Cape Cod League (amateur college summer baseball). If you're a baseball fan you'll like it. And in my case, having visited my grandparents on the Cape every summer growing up and going to CCL games, it's particularly enjoyable.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on April 04, 2012, 10:38:27 AM
I saw American Gods on the bookshelf at home recently, guess the wife picked it up. I haven't read any of his books but I think it's kind of funny seeing Neil Gaiman's name floating around considering I think of him as a comic book writer first, going back to my comic-nerd adolescence.

Hell, Sandman was so much more than just a comic book. In my opinion Sandman changed the face of comic book story telling from there on out.

rowjimmy

American Gods is pretty good.

VDB

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 04, 2012, 10:52:24 AM

Hell, Sandman was so much more than just a comic book. In my opinion Sandman changed the face of comic book story telling from there on out.

Sorry, "graphic novel."  :-P
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on April 04, 2012, 01:56:13 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 04, 2012, 10:52:24 AM

Sorry, "graphic novel."  :-P

No, it was a comic book, it was just so much more.

The term "graphic novel" is misused a lot these days. A graphic novel is a story told in comic book format that is released all at once in a single book. The collected issues of comics are actually called "trade paperbacks". While Allen Moore's Watchmen is considered a 'graphic novel' nowadays, it was originally released as twelve separate issues, making it a "limited series" (a comic book series that has a planned number of issues to tell the story), and the collected editions of it are really just 'trade paperbacks'.

/end rant

rowjimmy

Usually, people use the term 'graphic novel' incorrectly because they don't want to admit to themselves or others that they are reading and *gasp* enjoying a comic book.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 02:08:47 PM
Usually, people use the term 'graphic novel' incorrectly because they don't want to admit to themselves or others that they are reading and *gasp* enjoying a comic book.

The truth, this man speaks it.

VDB

Ah yes, trade paperback, I remember that term.

Side note, my parents are planning to move soon so they're trying to get all the kids' old crap out of the house. When I see them this weekend I will be taking possession of several boxes of my brother's and my old comics. I'm kinda looking forward to leafing through those to see how they'll have held up to the older me.

I can say that, on a trip home sometime during the last couple years, I pulled out an issue of -- it might have been -- Rob Liefield's Supreme, and I was a little surprised by how dumb it was.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on April 04, 2012, 02:48:56 PM
I can say that, on a trip home sometime during the last couple years, I pulled out an issue of -- it might have been -- Rob Liefield's Supreme, and I was a little surprised by how dumb it was.

Liefield was a cool artist, but a bad writer. He was better when he just did the artwork for x-force.

susep

I've read almost every  :syf: book out there except this, great, fun read so far. 

mehead

Started this yesterday and should finish it up tonight.  We own pretty much everything King has written yet I have never started this series.  Here we goooo......

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged