News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

I just read the 331/3 book on "A Live One" by Walter Holland.
It's fucking great.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 04, 2015, 03:51:33 PM
It's fucking great.

Indeed. On a par with Joe Harvard's book on The Velvet Underground & Nico and Philip Shaw's Horses.

Next one for me in this series: Bitches Brew.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mistercharlie

I've just finished my re-read of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Come on G.R.R.M, finish the next book already, and then instantly get started on the next one so we can read it in another ten years.  :roll:

Quote from: khalpin on August 04, 2015, 08:16:39 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 03, 2015, 07:29:30 AM
Quote from: Mr Minor on July 19, 2015, 12:47:27 PM
Quote from: khalpin on July 15, 2015, 03:16:18 PM
Ready Player One

A great read for fans of sci-fi, 80s pop culture, computers, video games and dorks in general.

Read that in May.  Great story. Great references.

Read it last year. Great book.
Soon to be a motion picture.
Didn't realize it was getting the film treatment.  Looks like Spielberg is slated to direct it per IMDb.

I go this book in Loot Crate awhile back. I read the opening chapter but then forgot about it. I think I'll grab it off the shelf and give it a read through.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VDB

Started Ready Player One on audio book in the car this weekend. So far so good.

Also a friend left the 33 1/3 ALO here recently so I'm looking forward to taking my time returning that to him.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Started reading ALO last night. It is, indeed, super.
Is this still Wombat?

Mr. Natural

THE VIRGIN SUICIDES - Jeffrey Eugenides  (1993)

God damn.
I think this is my favorite book now. I saw the movie in the theater and liked it alot. Last month, I saw its soundtrack at the library, which brought me back.
So good.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

cactusfan

Quote from: mopper_smurf on November 11, 2015, 05:08:01 PM
It's fucking great.

Indeed. On a par with Joe Harvard's book on The Velvet Underground & Nico and Philip Shaw's Horses.

Wow. The ALO book really is excellent. Wanky writing of that sort if hard to pull off, but he does a great job. Anyone read his book on fall '97? I might have to check that one out too.

Before that I read the Bitches Brew book. It was okay. Seems better suited for those who are only vaguely familiar with Miles and with the album. This author's wanky writing often feels forced, and though he's knowledgeable and loves the music, I didn't get much insight from it.

Haven't read any others in the series. And other really good ones people have sampled?

rowjimmy

Quote from: cactusfan on November 25, 2015, 11:15:07 PM
It's fucking great.

Wow. The ALO book really is excellent. Wanky writing of that sort if hard to pull off, but he does a great job. Anyone read his book on fall '97? I might have to check that one out too.

Before that I read the Bitches Brew book. It was okay. Seems better suited for those who are only vaguely familiar with Miles and with the album. This author's wanky writing often feels forced, and though he's knowledgeable and loves the music, I didn't get much insight from it.

Haven't read any others in the series. And other really good ones people have sampled?

I haven't read Wally's Fall '97 book but he does talk kind of the way he writes. Check out his recent appearance on HFPod.

sunrisevt

Re-reading this, after inhaling it back in May. This guy's 5th novel.

I may have crowed about him before--can't say enough good things about this guy's work. He's a literary child of Toni Morrison & Robert Frost.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 26, 2015, 09:45:02 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on November 25, 2015, 11:15:07 PM
It's fucking great.

I haven't read Wally's Fall '97 book but he does talk kind of the way he writes. Check out his recent appearance on HFPod.

i tried the Fall '97 book. it's borderline unreadable. it's just a bunch of childish bullshit, mostly cribbed from his own interweb posts, with little coherent discussion of the music, plus a lot of bitching about songs he hates. don't play this guy Sand or Bug, i guess.

he clearly got older, upped his writing game, and actually gave a shit for the 33 1/3 book.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Mr. Natural

DANCING WITH THE DEAD - Rosie McGee

First surprise (good) - The book is primarily text. Not a whole lotta news, but it takes you to a time & place, when it works well.
2nd surprise (not so good) - The photos, which were the selling point when this came out as an eBook last summer and which I was really looking forward to, are fucking photocopied black&whites in the print edition.

ALMOST INTERESTING - David Spade

I don't think I've ever read a book and heard the author's voice speaking in my head so clearly. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, too. He's harsher on himself than anybody else; and it's hilarious. Plus, he's got some great celebrity stories from before he was famous.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

GBL

Started reading the goldfinch, because birdman told me too
If this is love, I'm never going home..

PIE-GUY

Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America
by Jesse Jarnow

I woke up at about 4:30 this morning unable to sleep (it happens) and saw the email from Amazon that this was ready to read in ebook form. I had preordered it.

I'm one chapter in and it's really good.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Got the hardcopy last week and I'm about to finish it. Dude covers so much ground- some very familiar, some completely foreign to me- it's amazing.
I'm really enjoying the book and am looking forward to interviewing him for HFPod.