News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

This Version Of _____ Cannot be Missed

Started by nab, December 30, 2006, 12:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Once I started a thread called "Best Icculus", now I want to know everyone's opinion of their favorite versions of songs of their own choosing.  The purpose of this thread is to expose others to your favorite versions of particular songs, not just whole performances. 
I'll open with the already well known show, 2-28-03, which contains my favorite version of Birds of a Feather.  In my opinion, hands down, the best version of Birds ever performed.  The chainsaw like way Trey rips into the solo always gets me.

susep

Quote from: nab on December 30, 2006, 12:04:03 AM
I'll open with the already well known show, 2-28-03, which contains my favorite version of Birds of a Feather.  In my opinion, hands down, the best version of Birds ever performed.  The chainsaw like way Trey rips into the solo always gets me.

definitely give the 8July99 BOAF a listen, a truly psychadelic reading and my fav. version.

Casey Lenahan

my friends band covered BOAF and ever since then the song has never been the same because they ruined the song  :evil:
I owe Aug $20

Casey Lenahan

going to have to go with the best song and the best jam ever by phish

the 12/9/95 YEM
I owe Aug $20

Gumbo72203

oh boy...  this is ridiculous.  i dont think i can pick a single one...  except maybe Wolfman's Brother 7/26/99   Chalkdust too 7/10/99   im not even gonna try Ghost or Tweezer or Mike's Song....  ive always totally loved the 12/31/98 and 7/14/00, which i dont believe ive ever heard mentioned once.  Its sick just like 12/31/98, and when they brake to F after the ending chords, they jam the shit out of that real long and sweet-like, going all the way into Frankie Says and on to David Bowie, with Waste bracketed by another 3-song Mike's Groove component in Lizards > Sand > Weekapaug

sooooo sick. 

i might go with 12/2/99 for Bathtub Gin; that shit is off the fuckin wall.  and maybe 10/31/98 for Punch  You In The Eye.  ACDC Bag i might be tem pted with 11/21/97.   gah this is so annoying to think about
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

bacchist

Rebuilding...

ucusty

makosica

wolfmans 8/16/97  :banana:
DWD-Gin_ 8/17/97 :banana:
Scent 8/17/97 :banana:
Ambient Jam 8/15/98 :banana:
2001 8/16/98 :banana:
Simple 8/12/98 :banana:
Mikes 8/12/98

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

nab

Some more:

04-16-92 Possom

12-30-03 Wilson->Sand->Shafty->NICU

phil

mike's groove 6-17-94

i have a hard time listening to other versions because i love this one so damn much

and if we're allowed to extend this to the dead, terrapin 3-18-77 is a must hear
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Gumbo72203

Sure, all early 77 Terrapin's are nice, but i've been certainly blown away by the one from 6/22/91.  This shit is a fucking monster of a Terrapin.  And its funny, because ive stopped burning Terrapin Station on my CD's; i've heard it enough, i guess.  Its not even one of my favorite Dead songs, which isn't to say that i dont like it because i do love it, its just that sinces its always the same, it doesn't engender that certain X-factor-possibility feeling, i guess.  But you guys really need to hear 6/22/91 if you haven't; its 20 minutes long, and they jam the fuck out of it after the normal ending theme segment.  Monstrous. 

everything from this Summer '91 tour is fucking smoking, especially the June shows.  Who knew; post-Brent Dead is actually sick!!  Go Bruce!  Go Vince!!  Go JERRY!!!!

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

nab

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on December 30, 2006, 03:54:23 PM
Sure, all early 77 Terrapin's are nice, but i've been certainly blown away by the one from 6/22/91.  This shit is a fucking monster of a Terrapin.  And its funny, because ive stopped burning Terrapin Station on my CD's; i've heard it enough, i guess.  Its not even one of my favorite Dead songs, which isn't to say that i dont like it because i do love it, its just that sinces its always the same, it doesn't engender that certain X-factor-possibility feeling, i guess.  But you guys really need to hear 6/22/91 if you haven't; its 20 minutes long, and they jam the fuck out of it after the normal ending theme segment.  Monstrous. 

everything from this Summer '91 tour is fucking smoking, especially the June shows.  Who knew; post-Brent Dead is actually sick!!  Go Bruce!  Go Vince!!  Go JERRY!!!!

I've said it before, the Dark Star from Halloween 91 always sends shivers down my spine.  Not an epic DS by any means, but so much feeling.

Gumbo72203

well i should hope so!  haha  If Bill Graham's "unofficial" eulogy were lacking in feeling...  well shit.  haha.  Besides, i dont think it would've been possible to make it sterile and empty considering what actually happened:  Bill Graham died.  The Grateful Dead play Dark Star on Halloween, and Ken Kesey comes out to give a spoken-word tribute.  How can that not be completely and utterly epic?  haha

susep

:syf:

Hard to Handle 21April71
Truckin'>The Other One 31Dec.72
Dancing 2May70
DS Jam>Tiger 28June74