News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

mmm, coffee

Started by jedifunk, February 10, 2007, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

no offense, but dunkin donuts coffee SUCKS BALLS.  please dont call it coffee... IMO its the shwag of coffee, just like gas station coffee...

now i will say its been some time since i've had a cup of DD coffee, since there are zero DD's here in the twin cities, but i grew up out west and they were out there...

i just don't see how you can possibly compare DD to a fresh ground cup of french press that you made yourself?  its not even a contest...

now, it might be that its the best MASS PRODUCED coffee, but its certainly not the best overall
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

edemille

I have to agree with those who find Dunks repulsive...I live in RI, DD central, and I avoid it at all costs...for all you real coffee connoisseurs out there you've got to try new harvest roasters.  Their french roast is probably the most fantastic thing I've ever had in the world of coffee.  A little pricey, but organic and fair trade certified.  Do yourself a favor and order a pound, you'll be glad you did.

Bobafett

DaDunks coffee is not the best, but they know how to sell it...they are offering espresso based drinks now and the machines they make them with are hands down the most fool proof and best espresso machines out there Franke.  Now where they get their beans and who roasts it and is it fair trade and organic and shade grown, no way...but niether is starbucks...they are all corporate whores. Do it yourself and it is better!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Guyute

Believe it or not Trader Joes has some pretty good coffee.  Usually get the Bay Blend and "ultra roast"  going to try the Sumatra Ultra Dark tomorrow.
Tend to by Starbucks Gold Coast a lot.  Its the only shop in town.  I do like some of the Green Mountain Coffees as well, both the Nantucket and Harvard Blends are very good.

Equipment is where its at.  I want a french press, but my Cuisinart Drip maker has a timer and comes on at 6:55am every morning.
I combine that with a Kitchen-Aid Proline  Burr Grinder
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

susep

I'm wondering who leads out of the major coffee commodities?

edit - In 2002 in the U.S., average coffee consumption was 22.1 gallons per person.

Caravan2001

Quote from: phatyphil on February 10, 2007, 11:04:05 AM
yes!!!! coffee is my great friend.  i was actually coffee free all the way up until summer tour 2004 somewhere on the way to alpine valley when i tried a mocha and it changed my world forever.  now i live in oregon where espresso is the unofficial state drink and 'oregon speed balls' are the unofficial state past time.  i LOVE the light roast coffee (more caffeine) ground to a dust a put in my espresso machine.  then added to steamed milk with a dash of cinnamon, chocolate and raw sugar.  yum.  all this talking makes me realize it's about that time, me being awake and all. 

Ever since moving to Portland, I have been drinking a lot more coffee...compared to the swill I used to get in NYC, the java here is rocket fuel.....good stuff/bad for you 

thechad

You don't have to like it, but I'm telling you that DD's coffee is considered the best in the world, not just highest selling and most volume, but flavor wise the people who deal in coffee it's what they want.  The 1st business I ever owned was a coffee shop and it didn't work because people didn't like the fact that it didn't taste like DD's coffee.  The sad part is they're the reason that part of my business didn't work and I still drink it.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

jedifunk

no offense, but i don't believe you... maybe 10 years ago, before coffee houses really took off, but not now...

its too easy to get good beans that are roasted daily, grind them yourselves, and make your own cup o joe...

now perhaps, they are stubborn and hold to that idea that DD is better, but its dog piss compared to a local coffee shop.. at least IMHO
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

personally jedi, I agree with you.
but in NE, Dunkin Donuts is king
Starbucks is close behind.
Shame, cause it's harder to find an independent, good coffee shop around here, even in NYC. they exist, just harder to find.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

In NE DD is king....CT, MA, NH, ME, they are everywhere, esp. MA.....I grew up going to Drunken Donuts in CT....I think there is one in Portland, OR.....maybe not even...My wife did a commercial for them here and they had to build a replica....anyway, I'm off to pour myself a cup of Stumptown, it's the goods..

Bobafett

yeah well...In and Out are the best hamburgers in the world!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

emay

Quote from: Bobafett on February 14, 2007, 11:04:03 AM

YES! in and out burger is the SHIT! I used to go there a tonnn when i lived in cali. I still haven't found one in the MD region. But i miss it dearly.

Bobafett

yes...they are a privately owned and managed by family members, and none of their family lives west of NMexico, so it is a west coast pleasure that i will drive for when i am in AZ!

susep

Quote from: Bobafett on February 14, 2007, 11:04:03 AM

speaking of Burgers, I became slightly addicted to Checkers burgers and fries last winter in S. FL.  :evil:

the official fast-food of NASCAR :lol:

Guyute

Quote from: caravan2001 on February 14, 2007, 10:28:06 AM
In NE DD is king....CT, MA, NH, ME, they are everywhere, esp. MA.....I grew up going to Drunken Donuts in CT....I think there is one in Portland, OR.....maybe not even...My wife did a commercial for them here and they had to build a replica....anyway, I'm off to pour myself a cup of Stumptown, it's the goods..

DD is definately not king of the hill here in southern CT, Starbucks has taken over

Muddy Waters, Main Street, Burlington, VT, now that is truly great coffee.   Speeder and Earls as well
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.