News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

mmm, coffee

Started by jedifunk, February 10, 2007, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: Guyute on February 14, 2007, 12:54:36 PM
DD is definately not king of the hill here in southern CT, Starbucks has taken over

Muddy Waters, Main Street, Burlington, VT, now that is truly great coffee.   Speeder and Earls as well

My wife worked at Muddy Waters for a couple years....it is good brew...nice owners too, they ended up buying land by us in Costa Rica

thechad

Quote from: jedifunk on February 14, 2007, 09:31:39 AM
no offense, but i don't believe you... maybe 10 years ago, before coffee houses really took off, but not now...

its too easy to get good beans that are roasted daily, grind them yourselves, and make your own cup o Joe...

now perhaps, they are stubborn and hold to that idea that DD is better, but its dog piss compared to a local coffee shop.. at least IMHO

You are right about that, but the key word is LOCAL, someone in Luxembourg has never heard of the Koffee Kat (my local choice), and there is no way that they'll ever hear about it even though they have a web site and you can order their beans through the mail, I'm not saying that all the places you prefer to buy coffee are bad, I don't know, I haven't been to them,  I'm just saying that as far as the commodity of coffee is concerned that DD's is considered the best and I personally enjoy it as well.

And your all wrong White Castle are the best burgers in the world.   :-D
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Guyute

Quote from: caravan2001 on February 14, 2007, 09:53:01 PM
My wife worked at Muddy Waters for a couple years....it is good brew...nice owners too, they ended up buying land by us in Costa Rica

Every night during the winter used to swing in there on my way to work at Rasputins and then What Ales You.  They had some White Moca or something that was insanely good.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

jedifunk

coffee is one of the standard commodities of the world... they measure many things based on the price of coffee...

but i still dont understand how that makes DD better than the rest...  but i'm also not interested in arguing over coffee.. so we'll just leave it at that...

and you're all wrong, Matt's Bar has the best burgers (Juicy Lucy's)
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

tet

nothing quite like Dorman's Kenya AAA, i love that stuff.  lots of varieties, and it's relatively cheap (about $8 for 20oz i think) and available everywhere in East Africa. 

i'll have 2 cups a day most of the time, but when i was doing construction work, i'd have 3-4 cups minimum.  i guess i'm not as much of a caffeine junkie as i once was, but i've been drinking coffee/tea for as long as i can remember...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

thechad

No, not at all looking for fight.  I have no idea what those standards as based on, just going by what someone "in the know" told me.

You've obviously never have had Krystals either, they're definitely the 2nd after The Castle.   :-D
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

alcoholandcoffeebeans

mmm, yes... coffee...

i caught this skimming back thru the threads and i thought i'd put my 2cents in.

black coffee is the best. but, if need be i like a little cream. don't really like it sweet. flavored creamer is alright.
i grew up drinking bailey's and coffee with my mom. so good :)

DD isn't prevalent here, or anywhere else i've lived....
i'm an avid fan of waffle house coffee. i got addicted while bartending in RVA.
i tended bar in carytown and lived on the edge of the west end towards town.
the waffle on broad was like 2 minutes from my house, so i became a regular.
when i moved back home in december, they bought me a zippo with my initial on it
because i smoke too much and then as i was leaving my last night... they snuck me a bag of their coffee
beans out to my car and a grinder so i could enjoy their company from home. i ran outta beans in april :(

so if you're ever in RVA and are craving the waffle... hit up the broad street one.
if you see a short, RED-headed, bouncy lady... her name's dolly. she'll be there for years to come.
tell her you know me and you'll be royalty :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

mbw

my college homegirl karen parents own kovals coffee in williston, vermont
the were nice enough to let a bunch of hippies crash at their house the night before 'the ball'
page is a regular from what im told

Guyute

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 25, 2007, 08:05:33 PM
my college homegirl karen parents own kovals coffee in williston, vermont
the were nice enough to let a bunch of hippies crash at their house the night before 'the ball'
page is a regular from what im told

Used to stop by there on my way into work when I was living in the center of the village.  Nice, nice people if it is the place I am thinking of.

Been drinking Peet's Major Dickenson's Blend lately.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

Bobafett

Ok.   I must confess that since I've become sober, coffee is like my fix.

I'm the nerd who has a digital scale, digital thermometer, a stopwatch and a precise hand grinder to help feed my urges.  I worked as a pastry chef for a coffee roaster in flagstaff back in the day, and my addiction has ebbed and flowed.   After a trip to Honduras, I went full bore on the third wave boutique roasters.

I found onyx coffee labs from Arkansas of all places and they never fail to impress.   I keep a detailed journal of tasting notes, single origin, brew time, etc.

Anywho, I just got a new shipment of this species of coffee that was thought to be extinct, but a small farm in Colombia had a few plants and have started growing more of it.   It's called eugenoids.   It is a tiny bean that they are vacuum sealing green beans and allowing them to ferment in a warm water bath for 3-5 days, then roasting.   I paid waaaaay too much for it, but it is mind blowing.   It tastes like fruity pebbles and Coca-Cola.   Super sweet with very little acidity, so the flavors just linger in your mouth.   

I use an aeropress with 1:13 ratio of coffee to water heated to 193 F.   If there are any of you who are into coffee, check out onyx's stuff, but also the aero press, cause it makes a great cup of coffee and is very simple to use and clean.

Thanks for reading.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

emay

Thanks for the review! That reminds me of that expensive cat poo coffee out there.

Sounds dank! I was looking into the Aerorpess because I have been using a french press for a while now. It makes up to 3 cups right?

ytowndan

Quote from: Bobafett on January 21, 2020, 07:16:36 PM
I use an aeropress with 1:13 ratio of coffee to water heated to 193 F.   

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Bobafett

Quote from: emay on January 21, 2020, 07:53:07 PM
Thanks for the review! That reminds me of that expensive cat poo coffee out there.

Sounds dank! I was looking into the Aerorpess because I have been using a french press for a while now. It makes up to 3 cups right?

The aeropress will make one 7 oz cup of normal coffee or you can make 3 "espresso" style shots that can be turned into americano cups.  I moved away from the French press because I couldn't enjoy the full carafe before it had cooled too much.

The civet poop (kopi Luwak) coffee has led to some caged animals being force fed nothing but coffee cherries and is honestly not as great as it is a unique and weird product.  There is a guy in Kenya who is working on a nature preserve feeding elephants the cherries and then collecting the beans from elephant dung.   It's at least a more civilized method, but I'm not completely sold on either one.   :sbw:
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

ph92

Personally I use a Kalita Wave (metal one) for pour overs and a french press before work.

I just found a new roaster right down the street from me, and they blew me away honestly. Moru Rosters in Denver. I know Dragonfly is up in Boulder which has won roaster of the year many times over. But up until I moved out here I mostly bought from Brandywine Roasters in Delaware, they have so many good varieties. I try to only ever get single origin, especially for pour overs. For my french press, I'm okay with blends especially because they're usually cheaper, and the press is for my 1L of coffee for the day :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

GBL

Afaic, nothing beats black silk
If this is love, I'm never going home..