News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

"An Inconvenient Truth" = An Inconvenient Oscar for Best Documentary

Started by tet, February 25, 2007, 10:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

I'm sure the other docs were better, but I'm glad Gore won.

rowjimmy

I have that sitting on the shelf near my TV. Haven't had time to watch it though. I'm too busy burning up fossil fuels in my spare time.

OctopusRider

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 26, 2007, 08:29:16 AM
I have that sitting on the shelf near my TV. Haven't had time to watch it though. I'm too busy burning up fossil fuels in my spare time.

:lol:

sophist

pretty good documentary actually.  I do like how he takes an objective approach to proving his arguments.  I also like how he leaves the politics out of the movie (sans a couple of 2000 election jokes, which were funny btw).  Overall, I think it was worthy of getting an oscar.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

OctopusRider

antelope19

Quote from: phan003 on February 26, 2007, 11:22:30 AM
I also like how he leaves the politics out of the movie (sans a couple of 2000 election jokes, which were funny btw)

Apparently, we watched two totally different movies :?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

susep

I thought the doc was ok, it was good in the sense of it made the mainstream and prolly scared a few folks. :-D

OctopusRider

Quote from: antelope19 on February 26, 2007, 11:57:57 AM

I think he was referring to the fact that there were not many references to the election. The documentary was very political. You can't talk about global warming without being political.

rowjimmy

mattstick

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 26, 2007, 12:23:14 PM
but is it partisan?

Considering that one side of the political landscape dismisses global warming as a myth I don't think it's possible to have a partisan discussion of the issue.

susep

Quote from: mattstick on February 26, 2007, 12:46:42 PM
Considering that one side of the political landscape dismisses global warming as a myth I don't think it's possible to have a partisan discussion of the issue.

That one side being mostly big oil.  If they admit global warming is man induced then the status quo would change and they might actually lose $$$ instead of record profits.  Even w/ out admitting man's fingerprint they stand to lose anyhow, they're just playing it out as long as they can.

mattstick

Just to play Devil's Advocate - scientists were pretty sure the world was in a long-term cooling trend at one point in the 70s.

susep

Quote from: mattstick on February 26, 2007, 01:07:49 PM
Just to play Devil's Advocate - scientists were pretty sure the world was in a long-term cooling trend at one point in the 70s.

geologically speaking we are between ice ages.  There are periods of heating/warming before the onset of an intense ice peak, at least that's what the geologic record/ice cores reflect.

sophist

Quote from: antelope19 on February 26, 2007, 11:57:57 AM
did your version have strippers ? mine didn't  :|

Quote from: OctopusRider on February 26, 2007, 12:22:05 PM
I think he was referring to the fact that there were not many references to the election. The documentary was very political. You can't talk about global warming without being political.
People in D.C. made it political and it shouldn't be a political issue, which Gore points out in the documentary.  I think Gore avoids most of the political antics and sticks to the facts.  To me, this isn't political, it is explaining the science behind Global Warming, which is the truth in this case. 

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 26, 2007, 12:23:14 PM
but is it partisan?
yes and no.  A small majority of conservatives actually recognize the threat, and want to help fix the problem.  Many people make it partisan by distorting the debate, and not focusing on the real issues at hand.  Which is a shame in my opinion. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!