News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

ISO 11/28/97 SBD *Filled*

Started by SgtStukov, March 26, 2007, 10:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Just 'cause I love you fuckers, and because phan isn't totally worthless  :wink: here's the the few cuts from Cypress that circulate in SBD, enjoy!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ymu3s9
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

SgtStukov

if I convert the m4a to mp3, will the sound quality decrease?

jedifunk

YES... but why would you want to do that anyways... m4a is a superior codec
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

nab

Quote from: jedifunk on March 29, 2007, 08:19:59 PM
YES... but why would you want to do that anyways... m4a is a superior codec

Not everybody has an Ipod.

sophist

Quote from: ikki on March 29, 2007, 07:59:29 PM
Just 'cause I love you fuckers, and because phan isn't totally worthless  :wink: here's the the few cuts from Cypress that circulate in SBD, enjoy!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ymu3s9
If that new video of your mom doodling your girlfriend wasn't on spankwire, I would be getting more shit done.   :wink:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: phan003 on March 29, 2007, 08:41:37 PM
If that new video of your mom doodling your girlfriend wasn't on spankwire, I would be getting more shit done.   :wink:

doodling?  like she was sketching a portrait of her?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

nope.  noodling = endless wondering up and down the fret board
         doodling = endless worndering of the fingers within the woman's private area. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jedifunk

Quote from: nab on March 29, 2007, 08:33:42 PM
Not everybody has an Ipod.

it has nothing to do with iPods... the AAC codec is a superior codec to MP3, plain and simple... and it also wasnt created by apple, so you can kill any retort that involves me liking apple.

whomever leaked this was smart enough to realize this, and leaked it as AAC.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

nab

Quote from: jedifunk on March 30, 2007, 07:51:38 AM
it has nothing to do with iPods... the AAC codec is a superior codec to MP3, plain and simple... and it also wasnt created by apple, so you can kill any retort that involves me liking apple.

whomever leaked this was smart enough to realize this, and leaked it as AAC.

So let me get this straight, I'm confusing m4a with m4p again.  AAC codec might be a superior codec (I don't know the specifics but I'm willing to take your word on it) but it is a lot less versatile for most people.  It could be said that if one was going to bother to leak a show at all, why not do it in lossless.  If you're bound and determined to release it in a lossy format, why pick AAC?  Lossy is lossy, superior compression can't get back the bytes in the end.  Maybe they were trying to kickstart the AAC revolution in the Phish community, I don't know.  It just seems from a sharing standpoint that that leaking shows in a format that most people don't know how to use turns more people away, and is thus, counterproductive to spreading the music in the first place.

SgtStukov

my reason for asking was that most people I trade in lossy formats with can't use AAC, but can use mp3. So, if I transfered it to mp3, I'd be able to pass it on to more people. If it decreases sound quality, though, I won't bother.

nab

Quote from: SgtStukov on March 30, 2007, 09:50:55 AM
my reason for asking was that most people I trade in lossy formats with can't use AAC, but can use mp3. So, if I transfered it to mp3, I'd be able to pass it on to more people. If it decreases sound quality, though, I won't bother.

Beyond jedi's and my bantering, the simple fact is that what he stated is true;  Lossy to Lossy will degrade sound quality.  AAC>WAV>MP3 is no way to get around this either.  Once its lost, its lost and further lossy generations only degrade the quality further.

jedifunk

exactly...

and nab... don't blame people for wanting a better sounding lossy file type... its really MS thats you could blame for not embracing the codec... shit it was developed by Bose, and they certainly know what they are doing... but MS is MS, and they will continue to push WMF as their file type...

as for the leak itself... we shouldnt speculate as to why its in AAC... perhaps someone in the studio knows that AAC has better quality and decided to go that way... are perhaps they had no choice, perhaps thats was all that was available to them to "leak"

i would agree that i would rather have a lossless version, but hey i'll take AAC since thats what I convert to
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

I'm thinking that someone got their hands on a CD-R and ripped it in iTunes, then someone else got their hands on those AACs - or maybe not, who knows.

jedifunk

exactly... its not even worth speculating over... at least we've got something, cuz that shit kicks ass!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

thechad

Yeah, listening to the Black-Eyed Katy and it is causing anal leakage.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:beers:
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock