News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Why Phish fans?

Started by zaudragon, April 19, 2007, 01:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 19, 2007, 08:34:36 AM
When I walked into my first Phish show, a pretty girl handed me a small, red, 3x5" piece of paper with a photocopied, hand-drawn picture of the band and the following caption:

Phish is a really cool band.

She was right.

Quote from: VA slim on April 19, 2007, 10:56:14 AM
ha!
forgot about that flyer.

+K

Quote from: slslbs on April 19, 2007, 11:06:55 AM
I thought he was kidding.

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 19, 2007, 11:24:51 AM
I still have it.
Hafta dig into the archives and scan it, I guess.

Two years later:

I will be making these up and giving them out this Summer.

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

sophist

I haven't posted this here, but it is an essay I wrote about Phish and relation to Hampton night one.  3/6 was my 30th show, and I spent a great deal of time during and since the show reflecting on how Phish impacts me.  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dispersion of ego is the most liberating experience of one's life, plain and simple, it is a moment so profound that a before and after clearly exists. This is the essence of Phish, and why I and thousands upon thousands of fans descend upon their shows. It is why I spend copious amounts of money without doubt, why I travel incredible distances to see them, and why I have spent countless time and energy collecting their music. It is a feeling of pure euphoria laced with freedom, and in a time where plausible restraints seek to constrain the intangible, Phish shows remain one of the few beacons of creative free association. Each fan is left to construct the meaning of the songs and that relative relation to one's own existence. This freedom is exhilarating and orgasmic in nature, in that, it truly allows for one to have a moment at any time and any place. The music of Phish differs from many bands because it not only is left up to relative meaning, it becomes a soundtrack to define the various phases of one's life. While one version of a song can elicit happiness several years ago, and now denote sadness in the present, it is truly remarkable that the music on audio recordings continues to evolve like humans evolve and grow.

The return of Phish marked the return and growth of a part of me that had been dead for a long time. I buried Phish for good in the summer of 2004, and since that point I had felt empty and a lingering feeling that something was truly lacking in my life. Since the announcement of their return, I felt denial that it wasn't real, and that I could never reach that portion of my soul again, that like Post Hiatus it would be a tease only making me yearn for more, and leaving me randy and without the means to satisfy my proper urges. So when the boys officially took the stage on March 6th 2009, it was a profound moment for me, to know that it was no longer a desire, but in fact a reality, it brought about a mirage of emotions, which left me in bouts of euphoric laughter and tears of ecstasy. The opening tangent left me without speech, and overwhelmed me. For I finally realized that part of me was reborn that day, and that rebirth was liberating to know I could travel back to the portion of my soul I had longed for since I put it to rest. Phish not only re-punched my ticket, they allowed me to venture further and truly relish in my personal moments of self exploration.

Much has already been said about the shows and their content and quality of music, so I will choose instead to focus on philosophical and spiritual journey that is Phish. The build up to Friday night was one of shot nerves for me, as I truly couldn't fathom that the moment of their return was upon me, and that I was fortunate enough to be present for all three nights of music. The drive up to Hampton was one of elation, in that, for me, the road is truly liberating, it has that feeling of freedom and the taste of the unknown. A good road trip is like that, it smacks you in the face when you least expect it, and in the end, you're left with a shit eating grin upon your face, knowing that you couldn't foresee the consequences of being on the road. Hampton was exactly this for me, mired with personal up and downs, but in the end, I wouldn't have it any other way. For Phish is the same way, it takes you on that ride, and leaves you in any emotional state that fate has for you. You have to accept whatever is presented to you, and see it through to its logical conclusion. This is the fault of many, they battle against the music, and in the end they lose, and leave without knowing the proper meaning and experience of seeing Phish. This was the essence of the Friday night show, it was life itself, an emotional rollercoaster filled with moments that are forever indented in my psyche. Friday night can be summed up in that way, it truly was a rollercoaster, to see Phish nail compositions and then turn around and flub the next composition. But to focus on the flubs is misleading, while they were prevalent, they weren't the point. The point being made Friday was that the band was ready to take risks again, and to step out on that limb like they did in the mid-nineties and make themselves vulnerable, but with that risk comes the greatest reward, and that reward is something that the band and audience both seek, that moment of musical zen where crowd, band, and energy are one. This is the true loss of ego, when that dissipation occurs, each member of the band, and each member of the audience is left in a fragmented state. The result is a sense of connection that is uncanny in any human experience and that is Phish, and it is something that few other bands really do achieve. I walked out of Hampton Coliseum on Friday night feeling like I had been reborn, jubilation was flowing through my veins, and I felt so alive. I sensed the same feeling with my fellow fans, I felt that lingering connection. We were still one.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

gah

may I suggest the RLD threads in order to satisfy this portion though:

Quoterandy and without the means to satisfy my proper urges.

hee hee, jk,  :-D

awesome essay man! if you don't mind, i'm going to share that with some non paug phish buddies....

:clap:

also, rj, that handbill is awesome....def got to spread that this summer...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sophist

Yeah, you are more than welcome to do so. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sophist

sunrisevt

I'm looking for that handbill this summer.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

blatboom