News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'Paug Meetups Galore!

Started by August, April 28, 2007, 05:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: nab on April 27, 2009, 02:42:15 PM
A lot of dissatisfaction with the church has to do with misunderstandings of the teachings by both clergy and the congregation. 

I pretty much summed up what I believe the true spirit of the church's teachings are on homosexuality in the Perez Hilton thread, but it looks like its been deleted. 

Bottom line, all things related to human sexuality and the church's teachings stem from:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

There are dozens of philosophical differences that you can take away from that letter, but the teachings about human sexuality stem from the basic belief in the sanctity of life.

I remember we discussed it in a thread, was that the Hilton one?
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

keeb333

Just out of curiosity, what is Phish's religious background....I'm assuming (could be wrong here) that Fishman is Jewish, but what about the other guys?  Any clues?

ytowndan

Public schools my whole life.  

With the exception of weddings/funerals I've only been to a church once in my life.  My parents were pretty anti-religion, but they did have me baptised "just in case".  
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

khalpin

Quote from: keeb333 on April 27, 2009, 02:53:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is Phish's religious background....I'm assuming (could be wrong here) that Fishman is Jewish, but what about the other guys?  Any clues?
I'm pretty sure Fishman and Gordon are Jewish.  I know that 2 of them are, but wasn't sure which ones.  That's all I know.

nab

Quote from: Sophist on April 27, 2009, 02:51:12 PM
A lot of dissatisfaction with the church has to do with misunderstandings of the teachings by both clergy and the congregation. 

I pretty much summed up what I believe the true spirit of the church's teachings are on homosexuality in the Perez Hilton thread, but it looks like its been deleted. 

Bottom line, all things related to human sexuality and the church's teachings stem from:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

There are dozens of philosophical differences that you can take away from that letter, but the teachings about human sexuality stem from the basic belief in the sanctity of life.

I remember we discussed it in a thread, was that the Hilton one?

First it was in the Today I Hate thread, then it was moved to the Hilton thread, and now I can't find the Hilton thread.

keeb333

Quote from: khalpin on April 27, 2009, 02:57:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Fishman and Gordon are Jewish.  I know that 2 of them are, but wasn't sure which ones.  That's all I know.

Trey's family's Italian, huh?  I wonder what the odds are that he was raised Catholic?

sophist

Nab,
I was talking about an entirely different thread, which I found, but it isn't relevant to this topic.  
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

ytowndan

Quote from: keeb333 on April 27, 2009, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: khalpin on April 27, 2009, 02:57:36 PM

Trey's family's Italian, huh?  I wonder what the odds are that he was raised Catholic?

Probably pretty high.  And, probably the same for Page as his family is Irish. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

nab

Quote from: Sophist on April 27, 2009, 03:01:44 PM
Nab,
I was talking about an entirely different thread, which I found, but it isn't relevant to this topic.  

I think I know which thread you are talking about. :-D

mbw

its pretty obvious to tell about gordon if you look at him.....  :-o

GBL

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 27, 2009, 03:06:55 PM
its pretty obvious to tell about gordon if you look at him.....  :-o

RACIST!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

guyforget

I see dead threads

(and this one has gotten waaaay off topic...)

Quote from: nab

Quote from: Hicks on April 22, 2009, 03:03:33 PM
hmmm, I'm not particularly religious, but I'm not an atheist either.  I just don't accept that the Torah/Bible is the unadulterated word of the Almighty.  

I mean we don't sacrifice cows and whatnot in synagogue anymore, even though we are explicitly instructed to and I view the Bible's comments on homosexuality in much the same way.  Religious instruction that's outdated by a few hundred years and thus not particularly useful for modern people, even adherents.  

I'm not learned enough in other religions, but in my own church, teachings on homosexuality stem from the doctrine of Humane Vitae issued in 1968.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanae_Vitae

Sure they're based on older doctrines, but the evolution of ideas is apparent in most western thinking.

The modern Catholic interpretation of God's teaching doesn't necessarily stem from the Christian Old Testament verse that so many other Christian religions like to parrot as proof of God's condemnation of homosexuals (I can't remember which verse it is off the top of my head, but I'm sure we've all heard it before), but rather from a respect for the role that sexuality plays in God's gift of life in the confines of marriage.  This means that homosexuality isn't considered (or shouldn't be considered) any more a rejection of God than birth control, masturbation, or sex before marriage.  

I certainly don't live in a world apart from all these influences.  For one thing, I only can afford one kid right now.  Secondly, I insist on visiting the Knee High Socks on Chicks thread  :roll:.  Thus I am really implicated as deeply in the eyes of God through my own actions in the use of my own sexuality act as any homosexual act would do.  Therefore I don't believe that homosexuals are any less human or more prone to failure than I am.  

I personally don't care if laws are passed to legalize homosexual marriage.  Although it isn't the kind of marriage I believe in, based on my belief that the perfect union is between a man and a woman to bring forth the gift of life, as far as the state is concerned everyone should be given the same rights and responsibilities.  There are much bigger fish to fry in my opinion that fall in line with Christian belief, including raising the poor from poverty, giving everyone the best medical care we can afford, making sure that greed doesn't rule our law, sticking up for the oppressed in other countries , etc.  

Sorry to use your post to piggyback my opinion Hicks.  :-D

-AD_

willsteele

My whole family is sorta freakin out about my wife and I and our choices for our new baby...   both of us not religious at all.  

What???  No baptism??  No christening??  Oh lord!

No.  Get over it.  :-P

Yeah way off topic.  ha
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

sunrisevt

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on April 27, 2009, 02:43:21 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on April 27, 2009, 02:25:31 PM
straight off the yahoo news just now actually:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_re_us/us_rel_faith_in_flux

QuoteThe survey found that Catholicism has suffered the greatest net loss in all the religion switching. Nearly six in ten former Catholics who are now unaffiliated say they left Catholicism due to dissatisfaction with Catholic teachings on abortion and homosexuality. About half cited concerns about Catholic teachings on birth control and roughly four in ten named unhappiness with Catholicism's treatment of women.

i agree. 100%.

i kinda opened my eyes after HS and realized organized religion wasn't my gig.
i'm on my own.. with something/one up there....

too true.

"I would choose my own religion, worship my own spirit"?

Edit: I'm starting to think we're at our best when we're off-topic.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.