News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iphone/touch OS 3.0 Preview

Started by rowjimmy, March 17, 2009, 01:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaise

I read the article but I'm a newb and lack the time to read up on all these acronyms and other jargon. Since joining the work force and slashing my free time I have lost all desire for keeping up on tech stuff. So what is mms, adk, api, and or whatever else they are talking about. I currently have a 2nd gen iphone.

tet

wow.  HUGE.  :-o

was following the live-blog yesterday on gdgt, but didn't have time to post about it here... anyway, i think this is fucking enormous step forward for the iPhone platform.  the hardware market alone will flourish with this, and software will continue on its meteoric rise.  some great potential here, let's hope Apple delivers.

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 17, 2009, 02:29:49 PM
wifi auto-login... nice

available in june. free for 3g users and $9.95 for touch users.

think they just said "this Summer" but i could be wrong...  June would be dope  :-D

and it's free for both 3g AND 2.5g (original iPhone) users too.

Quote from: Blaise on March 18, 2009, 10:52:22 AM
I read the article but I'm a newb and lack the time to read up on all these acronyms and other jargon. Since joining the work force and slashing my free time I have lost all desire for keeping up on tech stuff. So what is mms, adk, api, and or whatever else they are talking about. I currently have a 2nd gen iphone.

i'll let someone else type it out, but you might just want to put aside an hour & change and view the webcast here:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/0903lajkszg/event/index.html
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

mms = multimedia message or text message with an image
api = is a programming plugin basically

push notification = just that, a notification that is pushed to your phone. (good example is IM, instead of the IM app running constantly in the background of the phone and sucking battery life, it would "push" a notification to you that a new message has been received.)

a2dp = a bluetooth protocol that allows audio over bluetooth.
adk.... not sure about that.

if you have other ones let me know... i'm very much into this whole thing (duh) :roll:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Blaise

thanks jedi. Those were just a few of the acronyms I could recall from the article. I get all the concepts its just that the blog author knew the subject very well and wrote things for people in the know about these changes.

mms is gonna be great and some of the other updates look to make the phone a lot better.

Now, if I could only turn up the volume on my earpiece more I'd be set. I can never hear what people are saying but the mic on the iphone picks up everything!

whyweigh5.0

the iphone already had auto-log in for wifi.  didnt it?
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

tet

Quote from: whyweigh3.5 on March 18, 2009, 04:17:57 PM
the iphone already had auto-log in for wifi.  didnt it?

I thought so too. I must've missed the importance of this announcement...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

yes, auto login for known networks.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

jedifunk

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2009, 08:49:10 AM
Quote from: jedifunk on March 19, 2009, 10:14:16 AM

But it works for shit...
how so?  i've never notice a problem with the auto wifi... it always picks up the wifi at home & work, which are the 2 known networks i access.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on March 20, 2009, 08:57:06 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2009, 08:49:10 AM
Quote from: jedifunk on March 19, 2009, 10:14:16 AM

But it works for shit...
how so?  i've never notice a problem with the auto wifi... it always picks up the wifi at home & work, which are the 2 known networks i access.

My experience with the Touch have been virtually the opposite.
I frequently have to reset the network settings just to get it to see my office or home networks.

jedifunk

weird... i wonder if its a different controller?  i don't see why it would be but...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

I do think that there has to be a difference in the nic between the iphone3g and the touch ver2.

jedifunk

i also have the first gen iphone, so perhaps theres a difference in hardware there as well
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

PhishJY

Quote from: jedifunk on March 20, 2009, 07:03:50 PM
i also have the first gen iphone, so perhaps theres a difference in hardware there as well

There is in some of the hardware.  That's why the 1st gen. iPhone won't be able to do MMS.  It lacks the proper radio capability.  That's what CNET said.  I'll post the link if I can find it again...

My wife has the 1st gen, so now I get to spend another $199 so she can have MMS capability! 

(It's worth noting that my blackberry pearl has had that functionality for 2 years)

Edit: to add link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10198184-1.html?tag=mncol;txt
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?