News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'Paug Parents!

Started by newplanet7, June 10, 2007, 09:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 06, 2009, 08:41:33 PM
Oh, yeah. Contact, Bathtub Gin off the album, sure--plenty of material. It's not like a ban, just a general aversion.

Her vote + my vote = me losing  :roll:

There is always daddy/daughter Thursdays, right. 

willsteele

I feel you on that. 

But for some reason I am allowed few precious things to have control over, well, a majority say in really... one of them being music.  Thank goodness because otherwise there would be some really awful crap being played.  She may not like it, but she can respect it.  Thanks wife. 
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

nab

When I first moved in with my wife we shared music space on a boombox.  Now that I have built a decent system with full audio, visual, and computer integration, I rule the sounds in the house.  She always knows that she can throw in a cd whenever she wants, but she owns maybe 80 or 90 cds worth total. 

rowjimmy

My wife married the music collection too. Her vote isn't that powerful.

Whoever mentioned 'hectic jams': Phish isn't playing anything more complex than some of Mozart's best works.

Let shit get weird, it engenders imagination. Don't discourage experimentation.

sunrisevt

Quote from: nab on April 06, 2009, 10:06:00 PM
Oh, yeah. Contact, Bathtub Gin off the album, sure--plenty of material. It's not like a ban, just a general aversion.

There is always daddy/daughter Thursdays, right. 

That there is--plus a rare dad-daughter Tuesday, today.  :-)

And rj, trust me, you're preaching to the choir here:
Quote from: rowjimmy on April 07, 2009, 12:01:20 AM
My wife married the music collection too. Her vote isn't that powerful.

Whoever mentioned 'hectic jams': Phish isn't playing anything more complex than some of Mozart's best works.

Let shit get weird, it engenders imagination. Don't discourage experimentation.

The way I was using the term, it's the set of timbres and loud overtones that make good rock jams 'hectic,' as opposed to the complexity of the composition. I'd associate 'complexity' more with number of notes, level of syncopation, number of chords, changes in harmonic structure, etc.--and here the Mozart comparison is dead-on, I'd say.

Edit: Cue 7-25-03 "Kung"
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

rowjimmy

Have you even been in a kindergarten class during playtime?
Kids can handle chaotic noise.

sunrisevt

Dude, I know! This stuff about the playlist at our home is all about choosing my battles on the homefront, not whether or not my kid can handle the noise--in fact, she's screeching out an "I need a nap and I hate everything" solo jam right now.

My little digression there about what makes music 'hectic' was just that--a digression, only tangentially related to the conversation about kids & music.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

willsteele

My wife shits on Kung, vaccuum solos, schreeching noises of any kind and the like.  Therefore I leave them out entirely.  Strictly for her sake.

Wonder if there has ever been any studies about music and fetal development.  There are studies about music and plants so there would have to be I would think.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

rowjimmy

My wife has no vote on music.

You guys are screwed. How could you cede that sort of power?

Igbo

sunrisevt

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 07, 2009, 12:26:44 PM
My wife has no vote on music.

You guys are screwed. How could you cede that sort of power?

You've placed the answer before the question, sir.

rowjimmy

Life is too long to have to compromise on music.

/hopefully

willsteele

Ha..  She has no control over music in my household.  Clothes, medicine, food...  fine.  Take it.  Music?  Hell no.

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: willsteele on April 07, 2009, 11:21:12 AM
My wife shits on Kung, vaccuum solos, schreeching noises of any kind and the like.  Therefore I leave them out entirely.  Strictly for her sake.

Wonder if there has ever been any studies about music and fetal development.  There are studies about music and plants so there would have to be I would think.

I've joined that club as well. I can listen to as much  :phish: as I want, but I have to plan ahead and skip some of their weirder, goofier, more experimental moments.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

Mr Minor

So pretty much everything?  :-P