News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W27: The Orb: 07-23-1994 Quart Festival, Kristiansand, Norway

Started by Hicks, June 13, 2007, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Thanks.  I think thats a top 5 Mule show for me, I wish I had gone too.  It was a home town show. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Well thanks for giving it shot guys, that's all I ask.  I guess the opening sample of : "What is this?  I haven't ever heard music like this before in my life!" is especially fitting. 

In response to your comment of how your mind drifts when you listen to this khalpin, that's exactly the intended effect! The Orb refer to themselves as ambient dance music, which draws from the Brian Eno philosophy of music that is designed to engage the listener at different levels as the compositions ebb and flow.  The parts where there isn't much going on is supposed to give you a little break from paying close attention to the music.  Trey mentioned this exact philosophy in his introduction to the famous fourth set at the Wheel.

As for what goes on performance-wise at an Orb show besides the live drums and possible live bass on this recording, basically the guys are sequencing/mixing samples live and applying effects.  One thing I love about live Orb performances is that samples can appear in one song one show and then in another the next, giving each version a unique feel. 

I have to say I definitely have shows that might be "better" in my collection, but the sound is about as top notch as it gets for these guys so that's why I chose this one.  Anyway here's my review:

Perpetual Dawn: A favorite of mine, the dub/reggae influence runs deep with the Orb and I would say this track, originally produced in 1991 was a seminal moment in connecting reggae with electronic music.  A marriage that eventually gave rise to the genres of dnb and dubbed out downtempo.  I've heard the original track from which the intro sample comes, but I've completely forgotten it at this point, I think it might actually be a soul tune. Great version with nice break downs in the middle.  Lots of phase effect in this show and it is already apparent on this tune.

Star 6,7,8 & 9: A bit on the cheesy side for an Orb tune, this one didn't have a couple of the parts that I have heard in other versions.  The lack of the usual bassline made this a bit subpar actually.  I've heard other versions where marimba samples were mixed in to great effect too.  More phasing which is unusual.

Valley: One from the still to be released classic Orbus Terrarum, this version really accentuated the North African feel of the song and I thought the tribal drum samples melded well with the live drummer.  Even though this is an early version it sounds fairly well developed already. Good call on the Clockwork Orange samples in the outro khalpin.

Assassin: Not one of my favorites to be honest, a bit repetitive even for me.  But the tribal drums did continue the North African theme nicely.  Actually I am kind of getting into the dubbed out drums a bit as I re-listen while I type. 

AHEGPB: Alex and co. finally bring the untz!  The album version is about 20 min. long and I like to think of it as a summation of the entirety of the history of life on this planet, powerful stuff!  This one was alright, kinda short actually and there are some key samples of the ocean and churchbells that didn't pop up in this one.  I wish the Minnie Ripperton sample had been a little more pronounced/longer as well.  This was the first official Orb single btw and was co-written with Jimmy Cauty of KLF fame.

Little Fluffy Clouds: The Orb's clearcut greatest "hit".  The 93-94 versions of this were its peak and are simply gorgeous and truly uplifting.  A lot of emotional connection/nostalgia packed into this one for me. The guitar sample is from the Reich/ Metheny record by the way and the narration about the clouds is Ricky Lee Jones from an episode of Reading Rainbow. Still more phasing in the intro!  The acid/303 line sounded extra big and reverb-y on this version, electronic perfection!

Towers of Dub: Another favorite of mine, what can I say reggae+electronica = crazy delicious!  The clanging intro here usually appears in Plateau and the Middle Eastern chanting that was also used on the Byrne/ Eno album usually appears in Outlands.  Even MLK can't escape the phase effect here!  A particularly dense/interesting version, top notch!

Outlands: One of the more rocking tunes in the Orb's catalog and the first collaboration with eventual full time member/ German techno producer Thomas Fehlmann.  Definitely some Fripp samples going on here, Fripp-heads should check the Orb/Fripp collaboration FFWD, if you can find it.  A great way to close out the set, actually the last three songs combined were the highlights for me.

Overall I give the show an A-, definitely tasty but it took a little while to get going.  Thanks to everyone for humoring me especially those of you that gave it a go.  If anyone (including you creepy lurkers!) is interested in hearing more from these guys PM me and I'll hook you up.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming of guitar music. . .
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

i just remembered this thread again...

i listened to the Orb-- good stuff!

i remember in the early '90s a friend playing the orb for me. i sure hated electronic music back then.
then one night in '96 at burning man, well... electronic music suddenly made sense. though i never did go back and listen to the orb again.

i like the live drums in this show. a couple songs have serious dub reggae grooves going on. fluffy clouds and towers of dub are really good. some of the sound effects sections between songs go on a bit long, but as stated elsewhere, i guess that was their idea, that some of the music focuses your attention, and some lets it wander.

cool pick.

Red Sea Pedestrian

Ok, gave the whole thing a couple listens, so now after really experiencing the musical depth and pondering the significance of it in regards to the meaning of life and the cosmos, I think I'm in a pretty good position to review this show:

It's pretty cool.

Seriously tho, it's definatly more of music that sounds than anything else. Which I can definatly appricate. My favourite track is actually the first, the sample of the guy laughing over that cool, cool bassline really make great driving music or good background music in almost any social situation. So thumbs up ikki, for making a risky show choice and exposing some of us to some new music.

Caravan2001

tough crowd.....I'm d/l'ing now, looking forward to hearing it.  I saw the Orb at Roseland a couple times, I had fun.  Thanks for the up....

Hicks

If anyone wants more auditory punishment here's a couple things I upped for RSP last week:

La Luna Portland, OR 6-19-95

http://www.sendspace.com/file/23y5al

A megamix I made a long time ago

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o5niqr

Enjoy!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

I couldn't open the Orb file  :cry:  What file type is it?

Hicks

It's a zip file, you'll need winRar to uncompress or I think winzip will work too. 

Red Sea Pedestrian

Winrar worked fine with both files for me. It's a much better program then winzip, so even if winzip works, you'll be doing yourself a favour by using winrar anyways.

Download it here:
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Caravan2001

Frawg

Hicks, I'm a little late on this one, missed out on the sendspace link, but just listened to some Orb because of your recommendation.  Listening to Orbus Terrarum right now.  Thoroughly enjoying.  Thanks for the heads up.  I remember hearing an album of theirs a few years ago at a music store I worked at, and enjoying it.  It had a blue aquatic cover from what I can remember.  It's hard to pay attention to ambient music playing while working, for me, usually, but I do remember really enjoying that one.  This is good stuff.  I'm definitely going to check out more of their stuff.  thanks

Hicks