News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish 1998-11-14 Cincinatti

Started by rowjimmy, September 22, 2007, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

That's a tough comp.
I'm gonna put this out and let you guys judge (or judge not.)

Caravan2001

This was one of my favorite shows attended, even though there is nothing really earth shattering about it.  I had a different source on CASS, but I don't know which, and it sounded sick.  In the digi realm all I have heard is the MG's and iti sounds good enough.  This was a great show,  the Reba and Moma are really good.  I have always liked the Bowie, and this was the only time I caught "Something", which I think they did a really good job with.  At the time, and still, I was stoked to see it.  Tweezer is really good too. The second set ends with nothing great though.   I was leaving the venue to get out and meet someone quickly, before the encore, and I was just about to pop open the door and run down the stairs to the street when they busted into So Lonely.  I turned around so fast and bashed through about 6 people standing in the portal to get back in the venue, and couldn;t believe it.  I loved it, and the tweeprise was good too.  If I had left before that I would be kicking myself.   Not as bad as when I missed the Landover Ripple, that should have taught me a lesson.....I'm surpised nobody has mentioned the naked girl.  That was some good setbreak entertainment (better than a tortilla frisbee....)

rowjimmy

Sadly, there is no naked girl on this DAT.

Caravan2001

phg

Solid show.

I like it simply in that its such a structured show (in Phish terms 8-)), for a change.  Nothing really stand-out in the show, but very solid.

rowjimmy

I like how they pretty much don't stop during the show. No segues, really, except for Tweezer > moma but when one song ends, they just roll into the next song immediately during the applause.

susep

November 14, 1998
The Crown, Cincinnati, OH

I really dig this show actually.  The Tweezer>Moma is good, prolly my fav. version of Something and arguably my fav. 98 version of YEM next to 5April98. 
This version of YEM sticks out in that the jam is so damn good!  It sounds like Trey is utilizing his Boomerrang and playing his own rythym part underneath his leads.  I thought this might annoy Page in that Trey is building more and relying less on Page's contributions but it still is a unique YEM imo, setting up the very excellent '99 versions.

rowjimmy

After a full detailed listen, here's some comments:
The Reba is great.
I like the Tweezer it's a standard funky Tweezer and pretty much fades to a stop before Moma kicks in.
Character Zero is rockin. Standard but rockin.

David Bowie is great. Not groundbreaking but great.
Something is an excellent version., I, too, have always like the way Phish does this.
Decent Piper.
Sexual Healing is one of Fish's better renditions, imo. He's in decent voice and works pretty well within his limitations.
The YEM did not blow my mind but, it didn't suck. Dirksen agrees: http://www.phish.net/reviews/yem/11-14-98.html
So Lonely is really cool. Honestly, I think they play The Police as well as The Police did @ Bonnaroo.

So there you have it.

I';ll be seeding later in the week.

susep

QuoteAt 11:10 Mike and Trey get off the tramps, and at 11:29, a
bewilderingly sweet groove -- led at first by Trey's beautifully
rhythmic chords -- develops.   Trey must have put these chords into a
loop, which goes on and on through the jam. It's like Phish has a
fifth member on rhythm guitar!!!  Very cool!

Trey starts mellifluously noodling over this PHHHHHHAAAAAAT, charming
groove, which features the ghost of Trey on rhythm guitar, Fish, Mike,
and Page, all funking along nicely.  Mike's bass line in here (13:42)
sounds frighteningly familiar -- I know I've heard him play this same
melodic theme in other versions of YEM, and in other jams, within the
last year in particular.  It sounds like that tune the lyrics of which
include "You've got the look."  The one from the '70's.  The Age of
Disco.  Anyway... Trey's soloing sounds very Santana/Oye-Como-Va-esque
in this jam, too!  What a GREAT jam!

That's what I'm saying, phatness/greatness!!!

redrum

:-o 

i just realized RJ is listening to post 95  :phish: !

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

rowjimmy

Yep. First full post-95 show in a while. Most of my uncirc'd dats are post 95...  :|

And susep, you might've missed this part of Charlie's review:
QuoteThis was a great YEM, to be sure.  Above-average.  But it ain't in the
Big Leagues, imo.  Easy B+.  If you were really impressed by this
version, I *urge* you to check out: 02/03/93, 02/07/93, 03/14/93,
04/14/93, 05/02/93, 05/05/93, 08/25/93, 05/20/94, 06/11/94, 06/14/94,
06/18/94, 07/14/94, 10/23/94, 11/23/94, 06/16/95, 06/23/95, 06/26/95,
06/29/95, 10/21/95, 10/31/95, 11/10/95, 11/14/95, 11/18/95, 12/09/95,
12/31/95, 12/06/96, 02/21/97, 07/09/97, 07/23/97, 07/31/97, 11/13/97,
and 11/28/97 (all of which I enjoy more than this version of YEM).

rowjimmy

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 26, 2007, 09:43:13 AM
And susep, you might've missed this part of Charlie's review:

Actually I didn't.  All good versions of YEM but again fav. versions is a very subjective discussion. 

phg

I will admit that sometimes I only listen to the encore.  So Lonely is so great.