News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New England Patriots

Started by redrum, December 03, 2007, 11:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Superfreakie

Former coach Jim Haslett (from the Post-Gazette.com story):

Haslett admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs when he played and estimated that 50 percent of the NFL players in the 1980s -- including all of the linemen -- were users. He also said he believed the rampant use of steroids started with the Steelers of the 1970s, a contention that instantly made him something of a pariah in his hometown. The backlash was so sudden and so acute that Haslett felt the need to apologize the next day for mentioning the Steelers.

Or as quoted (same article) from Steve Furness's book:

Courson exonerated the Steelers' defensive linemen -- "In those days, few defensive linemen did [steroids]," he wrote -- which is why L.C. Greenwood could go on a national radio show the other day and say, with good conscience, that Haslett's assertion was the damnedest thing he ever heard.

But Courson also wrote that 75 percent of the Steelers' offensive linemen took steroids at one time or another and would sit around as a group discussing their usage the way other men might discuss their wife or girlfriend, a night at the bar or a good hunting trip.

"Disgruntled players throughout the league called us the 'Steroid Team,' as if performance-enhancing drugs were the sole reason for our success," Courson wrote, adding how maniacal the Steelers' linemen were in the weight room.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

guyforget

lol if you think the steelers were the only ones juicing in the 70's.  they might be the highest profile juicers, only because of the championships, but they certainly werent the only ones.  but since the NFL didnt even start testing players for steroids until the late 80's, nobody knows for sure. 

nice selective quoting, though, as haslett is also on the record as saying:

Quote"That's because it wasn't illegal then.  That was my point. You had so many people using them because they were legal. I talked about it to show how far our league has come. We have the best policy anywhere on steroids."

QuoteHaslett estimated half the league's players, and all its linemen, took steroids in the 1980s before they were banned by the league. The league began testing for steroids in 1987, but players weren't suspended for using them until 1989. The league started using random, year-round drug testing in 1990.

but seriously, saying that the steelers were the only ones juicing in the 70's and 80's is like saying that doc gooden and darrell strawberry were the only players in mlb blowing rails in the 80's. 

hasletts remarks wouldnt have gotten so much attention if it wasnt for them being made in the midst of mlb's steroid-gate.  people knew in the 70's and 80's, and since they werent illegal, people didnt really care. 

-AD_

JPhishman

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Superfreakie

Quote from: guyforget on September 16, 2009, 05:23:29 PM
lol if you think the steelers were the only ones juicing in the 70's.  they might be the highest profile juicers, only because of the championships, but they certainly werent the only ones.   

Agreed, however from those who were there, it seems like they had mastered the art.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

Isn't this thread about the Pats?

Let's keep it on topic, folks.

Alumni

Dammit, where's the smite button?  :x

:-D
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 16, 2009, 08:48:39 PM
Isn't this thread about the Pats?

Let's keep it on topic, folks.

[snip]

Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

guyforget

yeah, to be honest, with all of the brady love going on out there to annoy me, i had forgotten all about camera-gate
-AD_

Superfreakie

Quote from: guyforget on September 16, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
yeah, to be honest, with all of the brady love going on out there to annoy me, i had forgotten all about camera-gate

Did you say Brady love. Just what the doctor ordered; fight hate with the Brady.

Alumni

Brady's still not in sync with his receivers. The Jets have done nothing and are winning. Reminds me of Nebraska's inability to score TDs yesterday afternoon.
Cause I got a degree

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Alumni

Quote from: Bobafett on September 21, 2009, 02:40:41 PM
ha ha. :samurai:

Jets fans ready to raise a banner in September?

ha ha, indeed!  :lol: :-P

Cause I got a degree

rickjamesstjames

Quote from: phan003 on June 24, 2007, 10:57:21 PM
sweet lecture.  I suppose he should dose the fucker too?  :roll:

gah

not that it matters, but i just spotted this, and thought you all would enjoy.  :-)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.