News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

100min./ 870 mb CD-R?

Started by RabeldyNugs, April 13, 2008, 07:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RabeldyNugs

Has anyone seen these yet?  I just saw these today and I was sort of shocked.

Maybe I am just out of the scene for a little bit because I live outside the US but maybe they are new.

So if anyone has any pros/cons I would appreciate it.

Thanks much.
:phish:
Dan
I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs

jephrey

Good call...  I haven't seen them before and from what I just read, you need to overburn to utilize that extra space.  I don't know, but I'd guess that the integrity of the data isn't that great.  I believe discs have always been "capable" of this, but the 90/100 weren't available due to the tech not being good enough to ensure data integrity.  In any case, I'd be more interested if a Mac program had provisions for overburning.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

disco

would be nice for fitting entire sets onto one disc  :beers:
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

Marmar

You might run into compatibility issues with players.....the spiral grooves are wound MUCH tighter to achieve the longer playing times....most CD players might not be able to track them correctly, resulting in unplayable discs.....

Seriously, if you are looking for fitting as much as you can on a disc, try DVD-A.....it's nice being able to put an entire RUN on one disc.....my favorites so far are fitting an entire Halloween show or NYE show on ONE DVD-A....so far, the most I've fit on one disc is 15hrs......and that's with NO breaks....granted, MLP compression was used, but it's lossless :) and that is really nice with a 5disc changer.....5 discs with 15hrs on each disc.....makes listening to an entire year that much easier......

Good Luck!
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

RabeldyNugs

mmmmmmm..............fitting full sets on 1 disc.  Now that would be sweet. :-D  Even sweeter is 15 fuckin' hours of pure tunes!  But can you play those in cd players?  I don't think you can.  On the comp. I am sure it's possible but not on the road.

I was thinking the same about the fact that they wouldn't be able to play in certain cd players and about the overburn.  But  there's only one thing to do:

Sometime soon, I will do the test.  I will burn a cd 90-100 minutes and I'll see what happens and I'll be sure to get back to the post and let you guys know.

Thanks for all your comments and we'll get the verdict soon enough!

:phish:
Dan
I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs

Marmar

well.....Alpine makes an in-dash DVD-A player....as does Clarion......

if you just have a standard DVD player in the car, you can still squeeze 1-3 full shows on a disc.....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Mr Minor

What would truely be sweet is if the DVD-A player played shn or flac format.  That's what I am waiting for...maybe some sort of mini-computer type of stereo for cars.
Maybe they have it and I'm not in the know...

Marmar

ummmmm

That would be GHEY.....lol

MLP encodes losslessly at a higher compression rate than FLAC.....so you decode your SHN/FLAC's, encode em as MLP and then you can slam 16hrs of stereo onto a DVD-A.....

and I think there was the phatbox or something like that that plays FLAC natively on car stereos.....60gig I think.....

Google is our friend :)

tet

i've seen custom installations of Mac Minis or the like in cars, which will allow you to do anything you can do on a computer, such as playing FLAC or SHN files from a DVD inserted in the drive.  not sure about higher-resolution audio, but i'm sure someone has thought of that.  my car isn't quiet enough at highway speeds to justify anything higher than my iPhone/iPod > tape adapter
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish