News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W11: 11-02-1994 Bangor Auditorium, Bangor, ME

Started by susep, April 21, 2008, 10:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

We all know about the historic Tweezer that was played on this cold, rainy Nov. evening but this show has other highlights as well.  This was the show that truly got me hooked for good.  Enjoy! 

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=514889
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cgybxk - Set I (74:38:21)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9bbekl - Set II (76:15)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9kv07d - Encore (18:01:82)

Phish - 11-02-1994
Bangor Auditorium
Bangor, ME

Set I - shnid=25595

Source: Schoeps CMC6/MK41 > Oade > D10
Transfer: D8 > Coresound > Prodif Plus > Sampiltude > CDwav > MKW > SHN
Transfer and encoding: Mike Fischer (phishsdank@aol.com)

ph1994-11-02d1t01 Suzy
ph1994-11-02d1t02 Foam
ph1994-11-02d1t03 If I Could
ph1994-11-02d1t04 Maze
ph1994-11-02d1t05 Guyute
ph1994-11-02d1t06 Stash
ph1994-11-02d1t07 Scent of a Mule
ph1994-11-02d1t08 While My Guitar Gently Weeps

(1:14:38)

Set II + Encore - shnid=3603

Source: DAUD/OTS Schoeps CMC3/mk41 > Oade Deluxe 12v PS >
Denon dtr80p(mic input)@48k
Master(on dtr-80p listed above) > clone used in below transfer

Conversion: Fostex D5 > Monster Optical > Sek'd Prodif Plus >
Samplitude v5.5 > Soundforge 4.0 (48>44.1@highest setting[4of4],
with anti-alias filter and Fade in/outs) > CD Wave > mkwACT v0.97

ph1994-11-02d2t01 Halley's Comet
ph1994-11-02d2t02 Tweezer
ph1994-11-02d2t03 The Mango Song
ph1994-11-02d2t04 Axilla pt. II
ph1994-11-02d2t05 Possum
ph1994-11-02d2t06 The Lizards
ph1994-11-02d2t07 Sample in a Jar

(1:16:15)

Encore:

ph1994-11-02d3t01 The Old Home Place
ph1994-11-02d3t02 Foreplay – Longtime
ph1994-11-02d3t03 Tweezer Reprise

(18:01)

ph1994-11-02d1t01 Suzy.flac:2b963d1c5b42f75922d4ce1465664baf
ph1994-11-02d1t02 Foam.flac:a3cfbcec6b17d2274c7bb7c5b3bbcb86
ph1994-11-02d1t03 If I Could.flac:a060ea93ba2023df41f43a38703b1eb0
ph1994-11-02d1t04 Maze.flac:168301ee9545b275439469d007ccdf03
ph1994-11-02d1t05 Guyute.flac:63bf3bda67ffe71ffaec7d16836f0cf4
ph1994-11-02d1t06 Stash.flac:2374059205ce26058e76a726c54bc5f2
ph1994-11-02d1t07 Scent of a Mule.flac:e6e12a50ceb3de438d7f272e23b46075
ph1994-11-02d1t08 While My Guitar Gently
Weeps.flac:570e3250d93d5d6adb6eaec696a4c96d

ph1994-11-02d2t01 Halley's Comet.flac:7cc8252f8acc59005b23ac4b646c168a
ph1994-11-02d2t02 Tweezer.flac:266cf520ff4ae0b1c07e674e9d67a269
ph1994-11-02d2t03 The Mango Song.flac:c35fea7095dc91f56a84287392c3dfb7
ph1994-11-02d2t04 Axilla pt. II.flac:71103683e5e5c75e54f26d31e4ab1497
ph1994-11-02d2t05 Possum.flac:b29dd5e538515c8ec1a3c580e0dea39f
ph1994-11-02d2t06 The Lizards.flac:df3376529e0e6b4507e1de38299b09cc
ph1994-11-02d2t07 Sample In a Jar.flac:cdea26feeaf5d1e669ce859cbcc8843d

ph1994-11-02d3t01 The Old Home Place.flac:510f776d56025a2d0b8a91d18930a0ec
ph1994-11-02d3t02 Foreplay-Longtime.flac:dcdb2894d282d877af2fb287f080e93d
ph1994-11-02d3t03 Tweezer Reprise.flac:341b1a2417ac2453f5e7ec83a1386ac0

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Caravan2001

susep

QuotePhish keeps fans dancing in fun concert

November 3, 1994 - Bangor Daily News
by Dale McGarrigle

What do you get when you cross an up-and-coming band with a sellout crowd?

You get three hours of great music, thanks to Phish and an enthusiastic Bangor Auditorium audience, most of them high school and college age.

The festive atmosphere at the concert started early, as the doors opened at 6:30 p.m. for general admission seating, and the crowd rushed in, looking to get the best possible seat. It was like taking a step back into the '60s fashionwise, with seas of denim and flannel mixed with tie-dye. Friends met up and talked, while colorful balloons were bounced along overhead. Big band, then jazz, played in the background.

Smoke quickly filled the auditorium, first from cigarettes and later from joints.

The audience had filled up into the second balcony by the time the four-member band took the stage, 45 minutes late.

Chairs from the floor immediately began being passed overhead, continuing up into the nosebleed seats of the ancient structure.

People were making room for dancing, and dance they did nonstop, except for the lone half-hour intermission.

Usually the act onstage provides the energy at a concert, but with Phish, it was a two-way street, with the audience's delirious approval pushing the band on to greater musical feats.

Now Phish doesn't just come out and play its hits. First off, since the band's songs can go on for five to 10 minutes, Phish isn't very radio-friendly. And without radio support, it's hard to have hits.

Still, within a few notes, the audience was screaming in recognition of each song. Phish may not yet be a household name, but its fans are faithful.

Phish also just uses each song as a building block. After a couple of verses,the group takes off on an extended jam, whipping the crowd into a fervor.

Guitarist Trey Anastasio and keyboardist Page McConnell would take turns in the spotlight with animated solos. By contrast, bassist Mike Gordon would stand stock still while laying down the foundation with drummer Jon "Greasy Fizeek" Fishman.

Most of the time, Phish's jamming worked. Fans would get tired of dancing, stop to cool off or catch their breath, then rejoin the group later in the jam. Jamming is a fine line to tread, and a couple of times, Phish went over the edge from musical experimentation into dissonance.

In addition to a wide variety of songs from their own five albums, the quartet turned in a sizzling version of the Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps. " (In fact, on Halloween, the band played the tunes from the Fab Four's "White Album" in concert).

For an encore, the group went unplugged, with Fishman on mandolin and washboard, Anastasio on acoustic guitar, McConnell on standup bass and Gordon on banjo. Their bluegrass version of the Boston classic "Long Time" was a big hit.

If their Bangor stop was any indication, Phish promises to become one of the great touring bands of the present and the future, a logical heir to the Grateful Dead. The unpredictable band will keep audiences guessing and happy.

Caravan2001

downloading now.....busy week over here, but I'll have some time to listen this weekend.  I have the sbd of set II, but I'ma gonna d/l the whole aud and review that.  Thanks

susep

2Nov.1994

I.

Suzy - interesting opening choice, nice Page out of the gate.  After the Halloween show just before, there was really only one way to go > upwards...Trey lighting it Jimi style.  Mike sounding full, 3:45 Page plays some beautiful piano, foreshadowing what's to come later in the set.  Nice high energy opener, right into...

Foam - nice sounding Fish, Lizards-esque Page.  Trey trills his way in, he and Mike hooking up nicely.  Ascending Trey, nice tone off the 'doc, psychadelic.  High energy final jam, again Trey playing with a lot of sustain and purpose.  Crowd loving it, excellent version.

If I Could - hmmm, nothing to write home about.

Maze - picking the energy back up, Page rocking the B3.  Funky Trey underneath, active audience.  Page again setting up a momentum platform that assists Trey in his solo launch.  Trey in full command, creating dissonance like a fire alarm sound.  (note, there is a ground level hallway at the Auditorium that runs perpindicular to the stage.  There were a good many people on 'cid at the show who couldn't hold on, unwinding in these areas.)

Guyute - 8th version played, nice release from the Maze.

Stash - "maybe so, maybe not."  Trippy opening jam, jam opens up after Trey settles in with the others into a dissonance field before dropping back.  Trey reprises earlier jam, adding consonant lines this time around, similar to 15Aug.93 into ascending peak/release.  Trey showing off his Jedi mastery, impressive outro.

Scent of a Mule - for the aggies, very improvisational.  Page playing some interesting ideas, slight Foam descending tease.  Solid Page into Klezemer section, great crowd parcip before they leave everyone in their sonic dust. 

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - highlight of their previous show, "...look at you all." Trey chanelling EC, nice stomping blues runs.  Nice screaming, howling sustain.  Trey lighting up the Auditorium, nice way to end the set.

II.

Halley's - Wind Cries Mary tease before beginning by Trey.  I really dig their acapella style and how they fuse it into their overall sound.  "I'm going down, to the central, part of town..."  Nice lead segue into ...

Tweezer - as many know, ALO version.  This tune and jam was literally what hooked me into Phishdiom.  It certainly was cold, windy and wet this night.  The famous descending chromatic runs by Trey opening the jam, as heard and played by thousands of young Trey wanna-bees from dorm rooms, apartments and homes following this show.  Phish decanting into a more relaxed space, everyone hooking up nicely, superb synopocation before Trey plays off.  Swing funk avante-garde into dissonance series.  Free jamming, Trey and Mike picking up a little jam.  Tease of something by Page?  Video game Trey, trippy jamming, Mike, everyone playing off the video game sound.  Fish propelling out of it, jam spiraling, morphing led by Trey.  Wha-wha scary chords by Trey, Mike adding unique sketches before jam drops into a galloping pace.  Slight vocal harmonies underneath, jam mellows, airplane sounding Phish.  Race-car Trey, hitting the breaks hard before a quick acceleration.  '72 Garcia-esque Trey, jam reminds of dissonant '72 The Other Ones.  Just Trey and Mike playing off each other, jam becomes gay, happy sounding.  Cool lines in this mini-jam.  Trey rising above, bringing back the prior intensity.  Sweet jam here, nice leads by Trey, Machine Gun style.  Back into Tweeze theme, funky Page on the clav.  Cool spacey outro into...

Mango - nice transition, more group harmony vocals.  Solid version into...

Axilla pt. II - a fav. riff, nice rocker.  The two-chord outro jam reminds of Pear Jam's "wounded is the sailor, drifting by the shore..." into...

Possum - Big River sounding, nice descending chromatic lines in the outro as heard in the previous Tweezer that inspire a strong beginning here.  Teases continue, adding the overall psychadelic feel of this version.  Strong soloing by Trey out of the gate, growling but swift.  Trey again lights up the venue, jam teases previous Tweezer breaks, takes on a similar '72 vibe before Trey propels into the stratosphere.  Jam morphs into swift video game break before slamming back into Possum jam.  Big leads by Trey, firery.

Lizards - a definite highlight of their last Bangor performance, solid version here.

Sample - this tune reminds me of someone who is highly dosed after a show and ends up spending the entire night in their car in the parking lot.  Nice soloing by Trey, strong finish.

Encore.

TOHP - interestingly the Bangor Auditorium is seeing its last days >

Foreplay/Longtime - epic.

Tweezer reprise - nice punctuation.

Overall a consistently good show imo.  Set one beginnig w/ Suzy was high energy.  If I Could was a bit of a drag down but they rebounded well enough.  Set II is a sequence that can stand on its own, simply brillant.  Excellent encore w/ funny Trey banter about Route 2 and Nectars.  My personal highs include: Suzy> Foam, Stash > Scent > WMGGW, all of set II and encore. 

Grade: A

MVP: Trey

Hicks

A'ight then, Nov. '94 it is, a big peak for the band and according to some THE peak, although I would argue there really was no one defining peak and that what makes Phish so great.

Suzy- Nice opener, high energy no f'ing around. 

Foam- Man, this one is becoming the new Sparkle of the show club.  Just kidding!  Not as good as some other recent versions we've heard though, Page is still good but Trey's solo was a bit unfocused.  That's cool though, we're just getting started. 

If I Could- Still too early in the set for me to gripe about it being a momentum killer, plus this song rules.  Even though it was common at the time, I'll always think of this as a rarity.  I am stoked I got to catch it at my first show in 95, so this one is welcome addition to any first set.

Maze-  Pretty much the definition of the heat, this is a top notch version right here.  Page brings it for his solo and then Trey gets kinda out there but manages to never lose the plot as he sometimes did in later years.  Fishman keeps the tempo blistering as well hitting the skins harder than he normally does.  Yes!!!

Guyute- meh.

Stash- I liked how it went from dissonant to a melodic soaring and then straight back to the chorus.  A ripper for sure.

Scent of a Mule- Page is EN FUEGO for this, his solo is so bonkers that they let him take it around for a bit longer than usual before heading into the duel,  one of the better versions out there. 

WMGGW-  ehhhh I dunno, I'll take it as a closer but I think Page would handle the vocals on this a bit better.  Am I the only one who thinks maybe the Beatles would be best left uncovered?

Sick Maze and Mule, solid Stash, I give the set a B+/A- it's not really fair to knock it down a notch because of the mid-set Guyute since it was still a new tune, so it's probably subjectively more of an A-. 

Halley's- Before the band had figured out that the abrupt segue out of it wasn't really working and that Halley's had the potential to go places on it's own.   

Tweezer-  What can I say?  It's an amazing piece of music and stands tall amongst the best versions of one of the band's big guns.  The fact that I actually consider it to be the third best version from the month is absolutely frickin' nuts actually, most bands will never in a million years create something like this yet Phish did THREE TIMES in Nov. 94 and each one has its own charms and intricacies.  Suffice to say this version is money the whole way and serves as a primer on how to create compelling improv when the bottom drops out of the jam as they do several times here.  I like the way Fishman keeps trying to bring it into Llama but Trey isn't having it!  Mind=bl0wn, again!

Mango- Silky smooth Trey, I don't doubt that at the time it was a much needed respite from the insanity that just occurred.

Axilla- meh, not my favorite

Possum-  Wow, another stand out version.  They keep teasing something but I can't quite place it, is it the intro Hendrix's Red House?  Whatever it is this is sick, especially in light of what else has gone down at this show.  This one gets quite bit more dissonant and experimental than most Possums, they boys are super loose at this point.  Awesome.

The rest is just gravy, honestly they could have closed the set at Possum and I would have been sold. 

Kind of tough to rate a show that contains such an indescribable jam like this one, I give it an A/A+ it gets an immediate A for the Tweezer but the other highlights of Maze, Scent and Possum nudge this one toward stone cold classic A+ status. 

Nice pick susep!

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

Suzy - Nice opener with a sweet Page solo.

Foam - Great solos by both.

Could - This is when this tune really "peaked". I like this one.

Maze - Very ripping Trey section.

Guyute - Still new. Crowd seemed to dig it.

Stash - Cool placement. Decent, yet dark. Standard Fall '94...

Scent - zzz.....

WMGGW - Two shows in a row?! Great version, actually.

Halley's - NIce

Tweezer - Not my favorite of the Tweezers of the Fall, but I've learned to give it more credit. I wish it was about 10 minutes shorter, though.

Mango - SOng

Axilla - II

Possum - Very solid version.

Lizards - Some cymbals crashes in the beginning....

Sample/Homeplace/F/L/Reprise - Is how they closed it.

Aside from the Tweezer, kinda standard Fall '94 for me.
Give it a B.
a

sophist

This is a favorite show of mine, as I find the Tweezer to contain spurts of improvised genius.  It does lag at times, but its worth it for me to sit through it to get to those moments.  I listened to this show in the car a few days ago, so I'm going off what I remember.   

QuoteSet I:
Suzy
Foam
If I Could
Maze
Guyute
Stash
Scent of a Mule
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Set I is a great set, I love the Suzy opener and it sets the pace of the set perfectly imo.  Foam is well executed and I love its placement as the second song of the first set.  If I could was standard, and Maze raged pretty hard.  Guyute was well played, and one of my favorite compositions by Trey.  I like the placement here, as I feel it sets up the Stash perfectly.  Like others have stated, its your typical Fall 94 Stash, so you know it rips.  I do like the spurts of dissonance at times.  Scent was standard, and I really liked the WMGGW closer.  Excellent first set. 

Set II + Encore:

Halley's Comet
Tweezer
The Mango Song
Axilla pt. II
Possum
The Lizards
Sample in a Jar
Encore:

The Old Home Place
Foreplay – Longtime
Tweezer Reprise

Nice Halley's opener to start the set, but the Tweezer is where its at for me.  I even like the odd little "metal" jam that happens towards the middle of the jam.  I especially like how they bring it full circle towards the end, and reintroduce the Tweezer theme.  Mango is always a fun song and Trey has a nice solo in it.  I prefer Axilla pt. II as a set opener, but this version rocks.  Possum is Possum and this version complements the rest of the set well.  Lizards follows and its a good version.  Sample is meh.  They needed to finish the set with a little more umph. 

Great three song encore, and that does it. 

Overall I have to give this show a solid -A.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Caravan2001

OK....so, I have never heard the first set of this show before, nor have I ever heard the AUD.  Have to say I prefer it to the SBD.  Great SBD-type quality on this Aud, but with the room ambience you don't get on a board mix.  Good stuff.  I was at the show before this (10/31/94), and although I was personally in no shape to make it to this one, you can tell the band and the audience's energy has carried over from that epic show....

Suzy- not an opener I ever hoped for, but it works here. You can tell the band is thrilled to be back on stage again after the aforementioned Halloween show.  A rocking version that serves as solid and upbeat warm-up.

Foam- Great version that is high energy out of the gate, but drops down to some more delicate playing out of the jam.  I would even say this is a pretty fast version, you can tell they have been on tour for a month already and could play this one behind their backs, left handed if they wanted to.

If I Could-  Get the ballad out of the way early...still, I always thought this was a pretty song, and they don't screw it up here.

Maze- now we're talking.  A standard for time pre-jam section that leads to some pretty ferocious playing during the jam.  Mazes like this would be harder and harder to come by as time passed.  Great version!

Guyute- I'm usually not a fan of this song.  The show before was the first time I had ever seen it, and I liked it then, and I like these early versions now, because it reminds me of the brief time that I did like it.  At the time, I thought it was the return of Trey's 'epic' composed songs and that it would lead to more Divided Sky/YEM type compositions.  It didn't.  When I first heard Guyute, while I wasn't a huge fan of most of the song, I always found the end part to be very triumphant, and even when it was a whore, it put a smile on my face by the end.

Stash- Good version, but not as good as certain other Fall '94 Stashes. Still, this one is solid.

Scent- another song I initially liked and then got bored of.  This version didn't stand out to me, except for after the Mule Duel, Trey is SHREDDING!  Some serious finger flying is going on here, even before he starts the fanning/shred part.  Fast and tight ending. Me likey.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps-  I can see Hicks' point about covering the Beatles, kind of.  With this song in particular, trying to bring to the table what Eric Clapton did during the White Album sessions is a very tall order to fill.   I think it was great kickdown for people who couldn't make it to 'ween and it shows how stoked they still were on the whole G Falls experience. 

Very good first set, with the highlight for me being Maze, Foam, and the end of SOAM.  B+

Halley's Comet-  Good version, even without the jam.  This is a song that you HAVE to love- Because I said so!

Tweezer- gave this my full attention during my workout yesterday. I don't know what to say about it that has not been said.  Sure, it might meander a bit, but that's the point too.  While I don't know if I would even put it in my personal top-5 Tweezers, that is just my opinion.  If I was there I am sure it would be.  Without a doubt, one for the ages, and I hear something different every time I listen to it.  Awesome.

The Mango Song- I love the way the slide into this after the meltdown.  And i love this song.  It always reminds me of New England shows for some reason, and this is a fantastic version.  The band is really gelling here.

Axilla-  I like this song, and this version almost gave me a heart attack yesterday during my workout.  I was toward the end of an interval when it came on and I just punched it, my heart rate hit 179, which is high for me.  Considering I didn't have an actual heart attack, it was awesome.

Possum- good version. Hicks asked what they were teasing here-   Sounds to me like the chorus to Spencer Davis Group's  "I'm A Man"  Check it: 

Lizards: Another solid version, I like when Fish does the blaps at the beginning "I could do that all night!"

Sample- nice way to finish off the set.

Old Home Place- a good down home song and doesn't this have Page on standup bass?  Niiiice....
Foreplay, Long Time- This is great. I never saw this song, electric or acoustic  :frustrated:
Tweeprise- triple encores are always a treat, and this Tweezer obviously deserved to be reprised.  Nothing special, but short and sweet.

I'm going to give this show an A-, leaning toward an A.  It's a great, great show top to bottom.  Nice pick Susep!!

pnchundi

suzy- really well played, high energy
foam-sounds like they are still settling in.  Fish sounds great, and trey and page both sound nice
if i could- starts off slowly but comes to a nice jam near the end, with trey out in front
maze-smokin hot.  Everyone sounds great, listening, changing directions and sharing the lead
guyute-very tight.  not a lot of room for improv, but thats ok
stash-wow.  after 2 great songs not expecting this one.  This stash explores some nice dark corners before exploding near the end
scent- ok, they arent slowing at all.  Fun interplay with page and trey, mike sounds good, and fish is having fun too. Trey smokes after the duel
While My Guitar-i guess they were still feeling all warm and snuggly after the halloween show.  solid version, and a good ending to a great first set.
b+/a-  Lots of heavy punches in a row make this a first set worth hearing

Hicks

Quote from: caravan2001 on April 30, 2008, 11:50:27 PM

Possum- good version. Hicks asked what they were teasing here-   Sounds to me like the chorus to Spencer Davis Group's  "I'm A Man"  Check it: 

Cool, although I'm not really familiar with the tune, maybe it was lodged in my subconscious though. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

pnchundi

Halleys- great song, and just when things are about to take off, they jump into tweezer.  i had to listen to it twice cause I thought my cd player had skipped
tweezer- one of the monster tweezers.  and while this tweezer is awesome, they explore every inch of it, its not always listenable.  what i mean is that its not something i want to hear over and over again.  for every section that is great, there are some sections that slow down and arent interesting.  i know thats part of the experiment...
mango song- always a treat
axilla- for some reason i cant stand this song. i usually grit my teeth through verse/chorus part because the jams are always good, but this time i just hit next track. sorry.
possum-great version.  really well played, page takes an early lead and then trey steps in.
lizards-not expecting this, another treat for the evening.  page sounds wonderful
sample-solid ending though i usually like this one to close out the first set

old home place- an actual bluegrass version
foreplay/long time- more bluegrass fun! I got to see them do the electric version in 99 at great woods, but this one is hilarious
tweeprise-i saw this one coming.  short and sweet and a good send off

still give this show a b+/a-.    Lots of heat and definitely one of the more experimental jams that phish ever did, but again, how often are you going to listen to that tweezer?

susep

Quote from: pnchundi on May 04, 2008, 08:24:08 PM
Lots of heat and definitely one of the more experimental jams that phish ever did, but again, how often are you going to listen to that tweezer?

As often as I would listen to the Possum or Foreplay/Longtime, the whole show worthy of repeated listenings.