News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Doesn't even need to is the best part.

Buffalo Budd

So... still holding out hope there are copies of SotG at local record shops in the the US.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 14, 2020, 11:13:06 AM
So... still holding out hope there are copies of SotG at local record shops in the the US.

I haven't seen any around. You may be stuck getting a black one when it gets the wider release.  :|
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

Forgot to report back, no luck.
Fucking guy was like "We absolutely do...not."

Buffalo Budd

Thanks for looking out.
I'm ok with the black vinyl, just don't feel like waiting.  :|
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on January 14, 2020, 02:03:38 PM
Forgot to report back, no luck.
Fucking guy was like "We absolutely do...not."

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mattstick

Music Matters Jazz is releasing extremely expensive but incredible SRX formula reissues of some pretty popular Blue Note titles. 
Yes, they cost $75 but once they're gone they're gone and will sell for $150.

Moanin' and Blue Train are the first two available, the rest will go on-sale throughout the year.

https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/category-s/121.htm

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on January 22, 2020, 08:38:16 AM

Music Matters Jazz is releasing extremely expensive but incredible SRX formula reissues of some pretty popular Blue Note titles. 
Yes, they cost $75 but once they're gone they're gone and will sell for $150.

Moanin' and Blue Train are the first two available, the rest will go on-sale throughout the year.

https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/category-s/121.htm

Thank you for the heads up.  It looks like they had a number of SRX releases that say our of stock, or maybe those are the ones not yet released?  I snagged a Blue Train (already have a very clean OG of Moanin', one of the few clean OGs I have) but have been going back and forth on getting a Blue Train for the last couple of years.  The OGs, even early 60s pressings are well north of $400 now with many clean ones cresting $1000.  Way too rich for my blood.  The definitive re-issue is either the Music Matters (OOP) and the Analogue Productions/Steve Hoffmann pressing, which keeps threatening to be pressed again but never does.  I have had one on order for like 18 months lol.  The AP pressing is $200 now and I don't want to pay that because I know when I do, they will just put it out again.  So, looking forward to checking out this one.  Thanks.

ETA:  Looks like those Out of Stock ones were 2019 releases.  Bummer.  Not that I have the dough though....

mattstick

Release Schedule

Art Blakey - "Moanin' SRX - January
John Coltrane - "Blue Train" SRX - January
Lee Morgan - "Search for the New Land" SRX - February
Hank Mobley - "Soul Station" SRX - February
Grant Green - "Idle Moments" SRX - March
Herbie Hancock - "Maiden Voyage" SRX - March
Lee Morgan - "The Sidewinder" SRX - April
Cannonball Adderley - "Somethin' Else" SRX - April
Wayne Shorter - "Speak No Evil" SRX - May
Kenny Burrell - " Midnight Blue" SRX - May

Honestly I might buy them all, fuck having money.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on January 22, 2020, 09:07:57 PM

Release Schedule

Cool.  I did read a couple of scathing reviews that the mixes were too quiet and overly compressed and flat and on and on but I'm going to let my ears be the judge.  There were a lot of people with contrary opinions to the couple of bad ones.  I have a feeling they'll be excellent.  I have most of those releases in one form or another but I'm tempted to snag another Maiden Voyage. I have just about all of those in OG mono but with the exception of Somethin' Else, they are in VG- to Good condition so...I used to be able to snag OGs in that condition for decent price ($15-30) but now even the rough copies are commanding higher prices.

mattstick

I've never seen a bad review of the Music Matters releases.

The mixes are straight from RVG and the world's best engineers were used to master them/cut to vinyl.

The SRX formulation may or may not be hype but the few SRX titles I have really are dead quiet.

Buffalo Budd

Stopped at a local pawn shop and he just got a collection in so I got first pick.
Got the following for $10, all in great condition...

The David Bromberg Band* - Reckless Abandon
James Taylor (2) & The Original Flying Machine* - James Taylor & The Original Flying Machine
Little Feat - Time Loves A Hero
Dionne Warwicke* - Make It Easy On Yourself
Santana - Inner Secrets

mopper_smurf

QuoteRORY GALLAGHER

'CHECK SHIRT WIZARD – LIVE IN '77'
RELEASED ON FRIDAY 6TH MARCH ON CHESS/UMC

Available on 2CD / 3LP / Digital HD / Digital Standard

Following on from the highly successful 'BLUES' album, Chess/UMC are proud to be releasing 'Check Shirt Wizard- Live In '77'.

This 20-song, previously unreleased, set is culled from four shows (London, Brighton, Sheffield and Newcastle) during an early 1977 tour across the UK in support of Rory's then latest album 'Calling Card'. Featuring fantastic live versions of tracks from that album as well as songs from the 1975 'Against The Grain' album and other live favourites.

This new album has been mixed from the original multi track tapes from the Rory archive, which were recorded by the Rolling Stones and Jethro Tull's mobile studios and mastered at Abbey Road.

Rory Gallagher's most popular albums have always been his live ones, such as 'Live! In Europe', 'Irish Tour '74' and Stage Struck. He was an artist that came alive when onstage and this album covers a previously undocumented live period. "The whole concert was taped on the Jethro Tull Maison Rouge mobile by the way, and from where I was standing that concert on record would surpass the classic "Live in Europe" album. And that's saying a lot." Brian Harrigan Melody Maker – 1977, Hammersmith Odeon, London.

http://rorygallagher.com/#/news/2020/01/check_shirt_wizard_-_live_in_77

:crazy: :beerbang: :rawk:
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Caravan2001

Quote from: mopper_smurf on January 30, 2020, 12:38:51 AM

QuoteRORY GALLAGHER

'CHECK SHIRT WIZARD – LIVE IN '77'
RELEASED ON FRIDAY 6TH MARCH ON CHESS/UMC

Available on 2CD / 3LP / Digital HD / Digital Standard

Following on from the highly successful 'BLUES' album, Chess/UMC are proud to be releasing 'Check Shirt Wizard- Live In '77'.

This 20-song, previously unreleased, set is culled from four shows (London, Brighton, Sheffield and Newcastle) during an early 1977 tour across the UK in support of Rory's then latest album 'Calling Card'. Featuring fantastic live versions of tracks from that album as well as songs from the 1975 'Against The Grain' album and other live favourites.

This new album has been mixed from the original multi track tapes from the Rory archive, which were recorded by the Rolling Stones and Jethro Tull's mobile studios and mastered at Abbey Road.

Rory Gallagher's most popular albums have always been his live ones, such as 'Live! In Europe', 'Irish Tour '74' and Stage Struck. He was an artist that came alive when onstage and this album covers a previously undocumented live period. "The whole concert was taped on the Jethro Tull Maison Rouge mobile by the way, and from where I was standing that concert on record would surpass the classic "Live in Europe" album. And that's saying a lot." Brian Harrigan Melody Maker – 1977, Hammersmith Odeon, London.

http://rorygallagher.com/#/news/2020/01/check_shirt_wizard_-_live_in_77

:crazy: :beerbang: :rawk:

Nice....

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on January 22, 2020, 09:07:57 PM

Release Schedule

Welp, the Blue Train showed up and holy cow.  Had a near religious experience last night listening to it.  Come home from the Blazer game, hit  the pen and cranked it through the Grados.  Sounds amazing.  The cymbals and the trumpet are unreal.  It's so silent, even in the lead in and run out.  Just dead silent even loud on the headphones.  I can only really compare it to the one One-Step I have (Dylan).  SO stoked on it, I never thought I would think a $75 record was a bargain lol.  And, both January releases are sold out.  I am getting Search for the New Land for sure.  Might pass on the Mobley since I have the BN75, but that's not a great pressing (and from digital source) so...Other than that, 100% on Maiden Voyage (my OGs are chewed) as is my Sidewinder.  Who knows, maybe I'll start flipping my OGs to feed this habit.  They really sound sick.