News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 19, 2022, 09:25:46 AMJust stopped into my shop and grabbed a copy of the Miles 7/7/83 RSD release with Scofield on guitar. The wife is heading to lunch with her sister and our nieces in a few hours and I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this thing while she does. :smoke:  O0 :music:

Edit: When did we lose the :smoke: guy? Did that happen when the site upgraded and I just hadn't used him since then?

How is it?

Plaid Room has Jerry in stock too.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

Thanks, dudes!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mistercharlie

QuoteJust stopped into my shop and grabbed a copy of the Miles 7/7/83 RSD release with Scofield on guitar. The wife is heading to lunch with her sister and our nieces in a few hours and I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this thing while she does. :smoke:  O0 :music:

Edit: When did we lose the :smoke: guy? Did that happen when the site upgraded and I just hadn't used him since then?

How is it?

Plaid Room has Jerry in stock too.
It's a fantastic set and the sound is crisp and clean. Good stuff!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

If anyone still needs Ragged But Right, Mobius Records has it up for only $25! I passed on it for $40 at my shop, but jumped on it for $25 online. They have some other pretty low priced RSD titles too.

https://www.mobiusrecordshop.com/product/jerry-garcia-acoustic-band-ragged-but-right/20285?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=11
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

50th Anniversary colored pressing of Europe '72 is up on Dead.net (The picture say's "Sold Out", but it's not yet.)

https://store.dead.net/europe-72-50th-anniversary-dead-net-exclusive.html

jam>

Eddie Hazel - Games, Dames and Guitar Thangs reissue from Real Gone Music is for sale now.
https://realgonemusic.com/products/eddie-hazel-game-dames-and-guitar-thangs-lp?_pos=1&_sid=33fb31c3b&_ss=r

WhatstheUse?

Hey guys, newb vinyl question...

I just got word I'm getting sent the test presssing for my new album. (Yay!)

So... I feel stupid asking this but... what exactly should I be listening for ? I would imagine they've already checked it for any huge errors(?)... is there some other sonic quality or an imperfecty I should be looking for? I don't know anything about vinyl so I'm in the dark here. In a matter of fact... I don't even own a record player so I may have to buy one just to listen to my own damn record. lol.
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 27, 2022, 08:16:12 PMHey guys, newb vinyl question...

So... I feel stupid asking this but... what exactly should I be listening for ? I would imagine they've already checked it for any huge errors(?)... is there some other sonic quality or an imperfecty I should be looking for? I don't know anything about vinyl so I'm in the dark here. In a matter of fact... I don't even own a record player so I may have to buy one just to listen to my own damn record. lol.
Does it sound like your album should sound? It will sound a little different to the CD but it should be basically the same.
Do the songs begin and end at the visible cue points on the record?
When you put the needle on the edge, does it take it up into the groove or fly off?
Is there obvious noise that shouldn't be there?

I suggest you take it to a friend's house, someone with a good setup, listen to it both quiet and loud. Listen all the way through, and along with your friend, decide if it sounds cool.

If you do decide to buy a record player, a cheap turntable is going to bring its own set of problems and not serve as a great test.

PIE-GUY

RJ's advice is solid. It's a test pressing. There could be a major flaw like it always skips at this one point in this one song. If that's on the test pressing it'll be on everybody's copy. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Right on. Solid advise, thank you.
Bring in the dude!

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 28, 2022, 08:16:31 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 27, 2022, 08:16:12 PMHey guys, newb vinyl question...

Does it sound like your album should sound? It will sound a little different to the CD but it should be basically the same.
Do the songs begin and end at the visible cue points on the record?
When you put the needle on the edge, does it take it up into the groove or fly off?
Is there obvious noise that shouldn't be there?

I suggest you take it to a friend's house, someone with a good setup, listen to it both quiet and loud. Listen all the way through, and along with your friend, decide if it sounds cool.

If you do decide to buy a record player, a cheap turntable is going to bring its own set of problems and not serve as a great test.

All of this.

Making sure the record player/system you play it on isn't the cause of a lot of these issues (aside from the tracks not being tracked right) is key.

You don't want to be the one complaining about skipping issues, or mix issues, because you played it on a Crosley suitcase player over a Bluetooth speaker. 

August

Just sign it and mail it to me.
I'll tell you what's up.

mattstick

rowjimmy

Wild.

Love the final shot:
QuoteRandy Braun, a music lover, Hoffman message board member and lawyer in New York, hopes that, in the end, the MoFi revelation will prove what he's been saying for years, that the anti-digital crowd has been lying to itself: "These people who claim they have golden ears and can hear the difference between analog and digital, well, it turns out you couldn't."

I've never spent money on the MOFI stuff but I've certainly coveted some of their releases. I do have the Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On one-step release. it was given to me by a co-worker who couldn't hear any improvement over his original and "the box is too big anyways".
It sounds great. No complaints.

jam>

Quote from: mattstick on August 05, 2022, 08:40:13 AMEveryone up to speed on the MoFi digital debacle?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/2022/08/05/mofi-records-analog-digital-scandal/

Thanks for the link. You (and the Washington Post) saved me from having to read reams of Steve Hoffman Forum posts to get the story.