News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 05, 2012, 04:01:58 PM
I ordered records from a few different places in the past two weeks. The first to deliver was the vendor I ordered from most recently.

Fatbeat records, ftw.

Also, they sent me a free 12".

Yep. Ordered my two BWC from invinylwetrust in VA and it came in 2 days.
My order from insound in Brooklyn took over a week.
Here's both hauls.

S. Carey - All We Grow
Broken Social Scene - ST + To Be You and Me EP
Bad Weather California - Sunkissed
Bowerbirds - Hymns for a Dark Horse
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope (For the wife. I swear)

mbw

in terms of 'vinyl theory,' i am currently buying only new, money records that i love.
perhaps i'm doing it wrong, but i really dont want a bunch of used, smelly records from someone else, of albums that i wouldnt have even normally commited 90mb of space on a hard drive.

in terms of sound, i was dubious at first but of course you can really here the difference.  i think the first record i played on my first table was Junip, and i was amazed at how much cleaner it sounded than its digital counterpart, which makes little sense, but yeah.

at least thats were my head is now concerning records.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 05, 2012, 05:46:34 PM
in terms of 'vinyl theory,' i am currently buying only new, money records that i love.
perhaps i'm doing it wrong, but i really dont want a bunch of used, smelly records from someone else, of albums that i wouldnt have even normally commited 90mb of space on a hard drive.

in terms of sound, i was dubious at first but of course you can really here the difference.  i think the first record i played on my first table was Junip, and i was amazed at how much cleaner it sounded than its digital counterpart, which makes little sense, but yeah.

at least thats were my head is now concerning records.

I feel ya, but I am all about old records.  Fact:  I do want a bunch of used smelly records from someone else.  Fact #2:  This weekend I was playing my new (to me) Miles Davis record with a 1959 price tag on it ($2.19) and I took a pretty deep sniff of the jacket, and enjoyed it. A bunch.   Shit's got history man.  While I certainly love the sound from a new 180g virgin pressing and I can't afford bomb condition old stuff,  in most cases I really would prefer to wait till I can get the original rather than a repress/reissue.  That said, it's nice to have both.  In some cases, I don't really care (classic rock stuff) about having first presses, but for the most part it's all I go for, especially for punk, jazz and reggae.  But that's just me.  Vinyl is great because everyone has their particular preferences and their reasons for enjoying it.

mattstick

/drool

GRATEFUL DEAD  Dark Star:  Europe '72 Olympia Theater, Paris, France 5/4/72 (features 40+ minute version of Dark Star never released on vinyl before) 3000 copies

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on March 07, 2012, 06:24:10 AM

/drool

GRATEFUL DEAD  Dark Star:  Europe '72 Olympia Theater, Paris, France 5/4/72 (features 40+ minute version of Dark Star never released on vinyl before) 3000 copies

Link?
Where/when is this available?

mattstick

Record Store Day.

25th anniversary Graceland re-issue too.

I'm on iPhone on the streetcar, but the link is the usual RSD blog.

Igbo

/drool

Must have

rowjimmy

Quote from: Igbo on March 07, 2012, 08:55:09 AM

/drool

Must have

SER must.

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 07, 2012, 09:37:30 AM
Quote from: Igbo on March 07, 2012, 08:55:09 AM

/drool

Must have

SER must.

Caravan2001

I was already lining up at 6:30AM to score Junta.  This makes it a slam dunk. 

::changes arrival time to 6:00AM::

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 07, 2012, 09:57:30 AM

yep.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 07, 2012, 10:04:05 AM

yep.

It worked out pretty well last year (even though I STILL don't have a copy of Two Soundchecks)....There are a couple of stores close to each other that open at 7 or 7:30 and then another decent one close by that opens at 10AM so you can hit the early guys and still make it in time to get in line early for the 10 o clocker....Hicks (straight from the hospital after his kid was born) and I were first in line for the 10AM shop but they had some boxes that ended up not getting delivered by UPS so they weren't putting them out until Monday afternoon :-(.....Anybody got an extra Two Soundchecks?

Igbo

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 07, 2012, 10:04:05 AM

yep.

With the amount of hipster music that the DC stores have for RSD, I think I may go to a store out of town that stocked up big on the Phish and GD relases last RSD. Not giong to miss out on Junta and the Dark Star release.

Igbo

I ordered records from a few different places in the past two weeks. The first to deliver was the vendor I ordered from most recently.

Fatbeat records, ftw.

Whats the 12' they sent?

rowjimmy

Quote from: Igbo on March 07, 2012, 11:56:45 AM

Fatbeat records, ftw.

Whats the 12' they sent?

http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=11907.msg636742#msg636742