News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Wireless Router??

Started by phishdisc, March 19, 2005, 05:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishdisc

Anyone ever get rid of the wires? Did you lose any speed? Right now I have a cable connection from Comcast running through a regular Linksys router. I have an old 802.11b router and card I was thinking about switching to but I think it'll slow down the connection.

jedifunk

dont worry about your wireless slowing you down.  the 802.11b has 11Mb/sec capabilities, which Comcast doesnt reach.  i've got a powerbook with 3 airport stations throughout the house, and have no trouble pulling things down @ speeds of 500KB/sec.  it can take as little as 25 minutes to get a show when you get perfect conditions!

free yourself from the wires, live free!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

phishdisc

Great. I'll try it out. Thanks for the advice.

jephrey

Actually, I am not 100% sure but if you get the next gen, 802.11.g, I think the speeds are even 10X that of the b.  I think there's stuff out there in the g range.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rowjimmy

802.11g is the fastest (not sure if it's 10x faster than b... but shit... its still pretty rockin.)

Given the pricing these days of wireless gear, don't shortchange yourself; get 802.11g. Be sure, tho, if buying a card for a laptop, that you get one that does all three a/b/g incase you take it out and about.

Also, certain vendors sell an 'ehnanced' version of g which goes even faster but these tend to only work with devices from the same maker as they are not based on an agreed upon standard... buyer beware.

jedifunk

oh yeah, g is the fastest.

but what i was getting at is that the "b" standard is 11Mbps/sec which most people internet connection can't reach anyways, so he shouldn't worry about losing speed because of the wireless.

fwiw "g" standard is 54Mbp/sec.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunkbut what i was getting at is that the "b" standard is 11Mbps/sec which most people internet connection can't reach anyways,

Yes, indeed. The real reason to bring it up to 'g' is for your internal network.

"Internal network?" you ask, "Why wouldn't 11mb be fast enough?"

Because you don't want to copy ph1995-12-01.flac16 from one machine to another... you want to stream it.  :)

jedifunk

Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Guyute

I have a Belkin G wireless.  Good firewalling and great speeds, no problems with it.   I have 2 laptops so wireless is much easier, have the router right next to the XBox so I use a cable to it for that.

i have always liked the BMC Barricade because it has a built in printserver so you can share the printer with all of the devices.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.