News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R4/W01: 09-15-2000 Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA

Started by sophist, June 29, 2008, 10:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ned_ryerson

ironic, i was thinking of using this show. it will be fun to talk about this one me thinks  :mrgreen:
wait..what?

Hicks

Quote from: ned_ryerson on June 30, 2008, 06:50:53 PM
ironic, i was thinking of using this show. it will be fun to talk about this one me thinks  :mrgreen:

BING!   :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

blatboom

Quote from: Hicks on June 30, 2008, 07:28:39 PM
Quote from: ned_ryerson on June 30, 2008, 06:50:53 PM

BING!   :-D

:lol:  I get it!

Hicks

But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA slim on June 30, 2008, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on June 30, 2008, 04:30:45 PM
Quote from: VA slim on June 30, 2008, 03:20:01 PM
by the time i finish this DL it'll be week 3.

Which one?
The sendspace?
a

n. da lossslesss, but its movin pretty good now.
i'm impatient today, havent been sleeping weelll.

you should take more naps  :lol:

Caravan2001

back on topic, i was at this show and will probably have a mixed review......it's hard not to compare it to the night before and the night after.....plus, Hershey always makes me nauseous when I go there because of the chocolate smell......I'm looking forward to hearing this again though....I am almost out of my hole, and just have last weeks to review.....

VA $l!m

Quote from: caravan2001 on June 30, 2008, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: VA slim on June 30, 2008, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on June 30, 2008, 04:30:45 PM
Quote from: VA slim on June 30, 2008, 03:20:01 PM
by the time i finish this DL it'll be week 3.

Which one?
The sendspace?
a

n. da lossslesss, but its movin pretty good now.
i'm impatient today, havent been sleeping weelll.

you should take more naps  :lol:

sorry, yesterday sucked.
I apologize to all my friends here at teh paug, and especially aug. my long time bro , for bein such a bitch yesterday.
i honestly have been going through a personal hell recently, but that is no excuse for taking it out on anyone.

-slim.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

G. Augusto

This show gets dogged all the time.
I like it.
Nothing too crazy (aside from the Tube Reprise) and played relatively well.
I think after 5 straight shows of no repeats to open the Tour, some steam was taken out of people by getting a handful of repeats on this night.

1st Tube - I like it in the opening slot. It was a cold night and Mike came out rockin' the hoodie (a la 09-25-2000)

Jibb00 - Gotta. I like it. Does it's thing and keeps it movin'...

Corrina - Nice treat. Played well, although I'll take the 02-24 version over this one.

BIrds - Actually a VERY rippin' version.

Windora - 2nd and last Phish version. Better than Albany with a trippier "jam" section.

Antelope - w/ Tom. Decent version.

Golgi/Motel - Just when you thought it was over, they throw in the Bittersweet kickdown for the PA peepz.

Piper - Very mellow start to the jam. MIke and Fish hook up and some cool patterns along the way. There's hardly any guitar work on this one...Just basically Trey playing with the keyboard... :|

Lizards - A few squirrels in there by Trey. NIce page solo, though.

Tube - The "other" meat of the set. Again, mostly Trey on the keyboard. It grooves, but doesn't do too much for me.

Circus/Hero - One/Two for the close. 5 song second set...

Possum - Nice version.

I prefer this first set over the second, even though there is hardly any real jamming going on in the first half.
Still like the show OK.
B.
A

VA $l!m

...well, here we go!!

9-15-00

I've listened to minimal fall'00, so this should be interesting.
You'll find out that I wrote this on word while listening to the show...w/out a list so it was a surprise for the most part.

Set I.
1.1st tubey: really the only appropriate slot for this song. IMO (set opener). Pretty rockin. Seems like many '00 shows in that trey is 'up' at the beginning of the show.

2.Jibboo: nice follow up (-though for me it would have sucked if I was there, because jibboo is my get an alcohol bev song. And that means I would be walking back and forth just after 1 song!). --damn, more loops already trey?! 2 for 2! I like the mellow tone of the jam though...smells like early autumn indeed...B- version.

3.Corrina: maybe the first time I've heard this...maybe, who knows...
again I like the set  placement.
We've gone from amped(1st tube) to midgrade movin(jibboo), to super slow mellow.
I think trey might fall asleep in the middle of this one ;)...nice Rhodes by page. I dig it.

4.Birds:  damn I called it! No, but I'll take it here. Back up tempo was a no brainer, right?
Ooo...fish might be comin alive?! Though, Page is still my fav so far in this show I think...(at least if I was in the show I'm fairly sure that's where the vibe was headed at this point—page side).  @ 3:30, Best song so far...@5:00, slammin—time to take a hit!!-----LIFTOFFFFF!!!!!!!! ...wait, trey, stop, don't go there...just play guitar, stop hittin the pedals...oh well... solid A version.

5.windora bug: wow, all these songs I've heard about but never listened to! :D
Well, if there is one thing about this show I like it's the setlist/ song placement so far... just perfect. Though it just seems like the songs are lacking real feeling...I suspect trey at this point...mike sounds on and I already mentioned the other dudes.
I'm a sucker for reggae, or dub or whatev the f this is.---TREY!!@!!! Stop the damn effects!!!!!the roooom issss spiiinnngngi'm gonna pukekekslpptat____cactz rulz! :p

6.Antelope...I almost hope they put everythin in this one and call it a set.
::Insert: "THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG IN THE WHOLE FUCKIN WORLD!!" guy on the tape:: lol...anyway rye rye rye rye ryeryeyryeryyeryeyryeyryyeryeyryeyrdoitdoitdoit doitcomontrey I want somew fuckin shit NOW!! Pheww. Sorry...
Alrigfht, review:
Sounds week so far, but I've heard lopes that pick up at any moment without warning, so... @6:00...finally...wow that took 6 minutes to get going...face it slim this is a mellow show... its PA in sept...sit back enjoy the choco buzz and chill.  C+ version.

7.golgi...bathroom break time before everyone goes at set break!

8.motel...--sweet, who's got my drugs? ;) Love this song. Nailed the song placement thing again.

Well, this set had MAD potential. In all honesty I think trey dropped the ball a bit on the energy, but whatev...
I liked it. I'd take it right now. The mood was right.
& As I said more than once song selection was dead on.

I give the set a B...maybe B-
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Hicks

Quote from: VA slim on July 01, 2008, 05:28:21 PM
...well, here we go!!

9-15-00

I've listened to minimal fall'00, so this should be interesting.
You'll find out that I wrote this on word while listening to the show...w/out a list so it was a surprise for the most part.

Set I.
1.1st tubey: really the only appropriate slot for this song. IMO (set opener). Pretty rockin. Seems like many '00 shows in that trey is 'up' at the beginning of the show.

2.Jibboo: nice follow up (-though for me it would have sucked if I was there, because jibboo is my get an alcohol bev song. And that means I would be walking back and forth just after 1 song!). --damn, more loops already trey?! 2 for 2! I like the mellow tone of the jam though...smells like early autumn indeed...B- version.

3.Corrina: maybe the first time I've heard this...maybe, who knows...
again I like the set  placement.
We've gone from amped(1st tube) to midgrade movin(jibboo), to super slow mellow.
I think trey might fall asleep in the middle of this one ;)...nice Rhodes by page. I dig it.

4.Birds:  damn I called it! No, but I'll take it here. Back up tempo was a no brainer, right?
Ooo...fish might be comin alive?! Though, Page is still my fav so far in this show I think...(at least if I was in the show I'm fairly sure that's where the vibe was headed at this point—page side).  @ 3:30, Best song so far...@5:00, slammin—time to take a hit!!-----LIFTOFFFFF!!!!!!!! ...wait, trey, stop, don't go there...just play guitar, stop hittin the pedals...oh well... solid A version.

5.windora bug: wow, all these songs I've heard about but never listened to! :D
Well, if there is one thing about this show I like it's the setlist/ song placement so far... just perfect. Though it just seems like the songs are lacking real feeling...I suspect trey at this point...mike sounds on and I already mentioned the other dudes.
I'm a sucker for reggae, or dub or whatev the f this is.---TREY!!@!!! Stop the damn effects!!!!!the roooom issss spiiinnngngi'm gonna pukekekslpptat____cactz rulz! :p

6.Antelope...I almost hope they put everythin in this one and call it a set.
::Insert: "THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG IN THE WHOLE FUCKIN WORLD!!" guy on the tape:: lol...anyway rye rye rye rye ryeryeyryeryyeryeyryeyryyeryeyryeyrdoitdoitdoit doitcomontrey I want somew fuckin shit NOW!! Pheww. Sorry...
Alrigfht, review:
Sounds week so far, but I've heard lopes that pick up at any moment without warning, so... @6:00...finally...wow that took 6 minutes to get going...face it slim this is a mellow show... its PA in sept...sit back enjoy the choco buzz and chill.  C+ version.

7.golgi...bathroom break time before everyone goes at set break!

8.motel...--sweet, who's got my drugs? ;) Love this song. Nailed the song placement thing again.

Well, this set had MAD potential. In all honesty I think trey dropped the ball a bit on the energy, but whatev...
I liked it. I'd take it right now. The mood was right.
& As I said more than once song selection was dead on.

I give the set a B...maybe B-

Welcome to the club Slim! 

pnchundi

okay i can see the controversy here, the first set basically plays like "Trey Lite," 4 TAB songs and a cover.  My beef with the Trey tunes is that while they are fun to listen to and to dance to, there is not always a technical challenge to them.  Poor Mike basically plays one riff over and over again in both 1st Tube and Jibboo.  I dont know if Mike is just being pissy, or if there is really no room for improv. 

1st tube Bang out of the gate and running, Mike and Fish build a hypnotic groove that sets the tone for the evening.  Trey steps out and wails, while Page is able to embellish a little here and there. 
Jibboo Another solid dance groove, trey is a little more restrained and this allows for more interaction with Page.  However Mike and Fish cant really do much again and things never really take off
Corrina Corrina Cool cover song
birds really well played, you can hear everyone in the band sink their teeth into this one and expand their playing.  Things really take off after the 7min mark
windorabug This is great! I have not really heard phish do reggae this well before, and I certainly never heard this potential when this was a TAB song
antelope this is more like it.  great build up, Tom Marshall takes the stage for the Rye Rye Rocco segment
golgi great closing number, fast paced and furious
bittersweet okay, a little add-on number.  Short and sweet

piper i love the way that piper folds in on itself as it builds up.  Trey goes ballistic, and then right when things start to slow and down and maybe sputter to a close, they find a nice little jam and carry that to the end
lizzards page is on it
tube another hypnotic groove, love the early exploration before coming back to the chorus.  And then the jam gets all spacy jazz before picking back up around 15 mins
circus a little breather, though usually this song has more life to it
Zero solid ending to a good show

possum i will never tire of this song, great energy and well played

The first set is really well played, but with the first half being predominately Trey tunes, there is not a lot of room for improv.  That might be the best Windorabug I have heard, and Antelope is rock solid.  Second set starts out with a bang and gets spacy with extended jams, but ends a little abruptly.   I always avoided 2000 shows for some reason, maybe because the band was so on/off every night, but this is a good one to have in the collection.

khalpin

First Tube: The first couple times I listened to this, I could totally picture myself being there with lawn seats at a summer ampitheater show with the sun just setting. Then I checked and saw that it was Hershey Park Stadium in September and my perfect image was shattered.  :lol: It's outdoors, at least. Anyway, I love this opener. Gets the crowd up and dancing right off the bat. Played pretty well. Despite Trey's minor flubs in the beginning composed section, I love this version. The effects are used nicely to close it out.

Jiboo: Another "warm summer evening with lawn seats" tune. I can picture the crowd still dancing. ~5:40 it sounds like the Riverside Gin. Then that familiar Trey melody ~7:00. Good playing. Good version.

Corrina: Noteworthy because of it's rarity, but I must say I'm happy it's a rarity as the tune doesn't really do anything for me.

Birds of a Feather: Getting the crowd back into it. This gets pretty smokin'. Good heat.

Windora Bug: Makisupa 2.0, except I never liked Makisupa 1.0

Antelope: Gotta love getting this one anywhere in the show. Nice Yackety Sax quotes in the beginning by Trey, although he's no Chet Atkins. Great Antelope. I like the fact that you can hear quite a few appreciative fans on the recording. (YEAAAAAH!!!)

Golgi: Set closer...or not.

Bittersweet: Set closer. Nice Erie and Pittsburgh reference.

Very solid first set. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Piper: Promising opener to the set. This one speeds up pretty quickly, then settles out ~6:00. Not too much going on for the next couple minutes. Pretty much just Mike and Fishman with some additional sound effects. Becomes almost an ambient jam. Eventually it gets rather "noisy" and dissonant. Probably has a killer light show to coincide with the noisy, trippy effects going on. Actually starts to get pretty cool at the end ~18:00 but then just kind of dissolves. Hmmmm, seemed like that took almost 20 minutes to find itself and when it finally did, they ended it.

Lizards: Not a tight version here.

Tube: One of my favorite tunes. Love the cow funk. Page and Mike really shine here. The reprise is great, too.  Just a great all around jam.  Never gets dull the whole 17 minutes.

Circus: Set two bathroom break.

Character 0: I got a bit worn out on this one, but at the very least, it's a high energy set closer.

Possum: Nice encore.  Solid version and a good way to close things out.

Well, I don't see any real reason why someone would dog this show.  It's not a great show, but it's certainly not a bad one.  Like others, I prefer the first set to the second.  But the second set had that Tube which was the show highlight for me.  I'd give it a B/B+.
-Kevin

ned_ryerson

So i have not read any of your reviews because i want to come into my first review with my own opinions.

let me say first off i was at this show. Hershey parks out door venue is quite possibly the worst place to see a show. i have seen phish there twice and dave mattews twice as well. The best thing about seeing a show at this place is that the sun sets behind the stage and makes for a pretty back drop. now on to the show.

Set 1.

The show opened with a First Tube, which went into Gotta Jiboo, these are both later songs (as well as Piper) and all suffer from the same problem, they do not feel as though they were written with phish in mind. You can tell that these songs are specifically for Trey to shoot a load all over his guitar while the rest of the band just follows a script. these songs are very structured and do not lend them selves to improvisation and it shows. The jams just never seem to pick up any steam. You can get excited about them, and yet, they never seem to get to the point where you are going "YES THAT WAS AWESOME" instead as i listen to these songs i start to wonder "its almost ten minutes in, they havnt really done anything".

Corrine Corina i have just never liked so i am not even going to talk about it. Birds of a Feather is just a standard song while a strong version, it might possibly be the strongest song in this set. Windora Bug lets just say there is a reason they only played it two times. The Antelope while at the show a great light show, it takes a long time before any one even thinks about putting some coal on the fire and because of that it just dosnt have the fun or excitement that this song should have.  Golgi, what can be said, classic but not a jammer. Bittersweet motel, they probably played this so the crowed would react to the mention of Pennsylvania cities that are actually not very close to Hershey.

Set II

As i listen to this set i get excited as each song starts and none of them really go anywhere near where they should. Piper drags, Lizards page actually comes alive for a few minutes and then goes into his about to hiatus stupor. Tube is the highlight of this set. the jam in the middle of the song is actually inspired and fun. The jam out of the song begins extremely fun and lively and as it goes on it begins to reach the slow drone. Circus is a fun depressing song that just fills space really, but as far as song like that go, this one is pretty good. Character zero? come on thats what your going out on? come on, give us some thing especially since you are going off stage after only 52 minutes of music!

Encore:

Possum, solid version, nothing great, nothing awful.

over all this show sounds like a phish show that was injected with heroin, you begin by getting excited about it and eventually end up practically falling asleep and then waking up with burns on your feet wondering where you are or what your spent your past two hours doing.
wait..what?

khalpin

Quote from: ned_ryerson on July 06, 2008, 11:53:48 PM
over all this show sounds like a phish show that was injected with heroin, you begin by getting excited about it and eventually end up practically falling asleep and then waking up with burns on your feet wondering where you are or what your spent your past two hours doing.
:lol:

Can't say I agree, but that's some funny #$%^  right there.