News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

Quote from: shoreline99 on December 17, 2008, 04:36:29 PM
Some people are unbelievable.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1786497

"yeah hon, i didn't mean to stick my dick in her - i tripped on a crack in the sidewalk and it just fell in!!"
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

the thing i found interesting about that is that out of the 15 or so responses, at least 90% of them were from people who had either 1 or 2 total posts on apple...

weird
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

antelope19

Ok, so I have been given the responsibility of shopping for a new family plan in the new year for me and mine.  We are currently with Verizon and have been pretty happy and I have heard alot of complaints about the ATT network or lack thereof.  Has anyone made the switch from ATT to Verizon or vice-versa?  I am just curious as to how much of a drop off there actually is.  And yes, the main reason I would even consider making a switch is for the iphone.   
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

jedifunk

i'll be honest... i had sprint before i got the iphone, and i never had a single complaint with drop calls or the network.

now, with at&t, over the last 1.5 yrs with the iphone, i've had a few dropped calls for sure.... but still nothing that i would complain about.  maybe 1 per month, maybe less than that.

there are times when the edge network really sucks, or has no connection... which can be a pain because its usually when i really need to use it.

overall, its an acceptable network... i've never had verizon so i can't comment on whether or not its better
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

In the DC region, Verizon is king.
I have tmobile for work and so I literally carry a network comparison with me everywhere I go. The gsm/gprs/edge coverage I get from tmobile is strong when I get any signal at all but Verizon goes far more places.

Verizon works underground in the metro. Verizon works through more of the remote portions of Quantico through which my train passes as we follow the river home. If you never leave the city, both are probably fine. It's the coverage outside of the city that you should look into.

(btw, t-mobile roams on at&t & vice versa so, while they aren't exactly the same... they pretty much are.)

antelope19

Thanks for the input fellas.  I'm gonna keep researching. 

Guyute

Figure I can join the thread now as I just got home with my 8GB phone that is synching right now.  Already have some apps due to my wife's iPod touch, but need to figure out what to get from the essential apps discussion.  Very excited, been wanting one for a while.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

antelope19

Taken from TUAW:

More rumors on the Verizon-iPhone front
by Michael Rose on Apr 27th 2009

If USA Today says it, it must be truthy -- hence the enthusiasm for today's report that sources close to the discussions are confirming an ongoing confab between Apple and Verizon on the topic of bringing everyone's favorite smartphone to America's most popular cell carrier. The future prospect of a Verizon iPhone, originally rumored and countermanded for this year, has perked up the ears of AT&T naysayers around the USA.

Although the paper cites Verizon's CDMA network as the target for the iPhone deployment option, most other observers (including Verizon executives) have noted the upcoming LTE/4G network, built atop the GSM standard that the iPhone already knows and loves, as the likely deployment environment. Robert swooned over the possibility of an LTE-enabled iPhone back in February; of course, way back in 2007, Verizon's attitude towards Apple's phone was far less conciliatory.

Even though AT&T is eager to hold onto its exclusive deal for iPhone in the US as long as it can -- and there's plenty of financial motivation already -- there's enough meat to this report to make me believe that Verizon-Apple negotiations are more than a stick to push the incumbent carrier toward a better deal. Getting earlier access to LTE (AT&T's buildout is at least a year behind VZW's) and more domestic options for the phone would be a win for Apple, as would a more generous revenue sharing plan with AT&T.

What's not clear to me is the percentage of would-be iPhone buyers who have so far avoided the phone because of carrier exclusivity and the two-year contract requirement. If having Verizon as a choice would flip you from the 'no' to the 'heck yeah' column, pipe up.

rowjimmy

If the iPhone comes to Verizon, it will be a no-brainer for me. I'll wait in line on day one.

jedifunk

i will be switching to verizon the day that i can
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

antelope19

an update from yesterday's story:
More rumors: Verizon + Apple frenzy grows with BW story
by Megan Lavey on Apr 28th, 2009

In addition to the earlier reports regarding a potential alliance between Apple and Verizon, BusinessWeek has released a story where Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam reveals that he has been in discussion with Steve Jobs in the past six months.

The result, the magazine claims, could be two iPhone-like devices using Verizon's CDMA network. One would be a lite version of the iPhone, the other a 7" screen "media pad" -- which would let users listen to music, view photos and high-def videos and place calls over WiFi. The media pad, according to BusinessWeek, is supposed to be smaller than Amazon's Kindle, but with a bigger touchscreen. The so-called iPhone lite would be smaller and thinner than the existing handset. One of these devices could be introduced as early as this summer.

It's not clear if either or both of these hypothetical devices would get around the AT&T exclusivity for the iPhone by being 'different enough' from the existing model. Still, the media pad concept aligns nicely with reports from manufacturers that a new portable product is in the works.

This summer!?!  That would be SICK!!!!!!

rowjimmy

I don't think I like that so much.

jedifunk

what i could see happening is that at&t keeps the iphone till the end of their deal... and verizon gets the tablet and iphone lite or whatever they call it.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

I'll remain open to it until I see said device.

jedifunk

ehh, not me... netbooks are stupid.  especially since i can most of what they do with my iphone... adn what i can't, i can do with my macbook (which really isn't much bigger than a netbook, and is vastly superior)
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio