News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R4/W04: 10-29-1995 Louisville Gardens, Louisville, KY

Started by GBL, July 20, 2008, 11:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

SET I

buried alive/ poor heart -

nice 1 2 punch to get the showa goin imo.. good ver of each

julius -

very rockin version and a little over 8:00 min.. the boys seem to be full of energy so far

pyite -

great tune imo.. the beginning notes/thump seemed to botched alittle, but no biggie..

CTB -

these two songs flow good together, me likes.. page is all over this

horse/silent -

i like the horse alot, but silent is too much like bouncing..

melt -

alrighty then! great place for this, would have been a spot for stash too, but im glad its this..
very nice jam here.. highlight so far!

nicu -

nice song, good follow up to melt..

gumbo -

another NICE song.. i always want to hear this song w horns, but some of the best are without :\
as august said before nice flow so far in the set..

slave -

very spacey intro to the jam.. slow build.. great! very climactic

adeline -

nice closer :]

SET II

makisupa -

dont really like in in this spot thb.. very spacey outro which flows nicely into -->

bowie -

slams right in and im lovin it.. jam section stays mellow for awhile.. even though i didnt enjoy
makisupa in its spot when it precedes this it ends up working for me.. bowie was good but not top
shelf fall 95..

mango -

i like this song and ive only been able to hear it once -p standard but i like it!

its ice -

when i was alot younger and all i had were ph cd's, this song was one of my favs..
im always happy to here this song even if they dont generally 'go' anywhere.. and speaking of
going somewhere.... kung! and then alittle reprise for the end of the sammy

shaggy -

at first i thought this was gonna be sparkle! very nice kickdown to bad its only 2:46 -p
nice segue though into --->

possum -

the bowie was nice but this is where its at in the second set.. possibly my fav ph song, atleast one
of em.. nice tease to bring us all up a notch, plus its not a tease you hardly ever hear..

lifeboy -

some feedback in the beginning kind of hurt my ear.. dec tune but meh

grace -

another acapella closer to the set

bitch -

LOVE this song.. this ver is short and strong imo.. trey is SER shredding this and mike is wailing
the vocals (in a good way)!

i like this show alot personally but it doesnt 'really' stack up to other fall 95's

straight B

If this is love, I'm never going home..

VA $l!m

Quote from: VA slim on August 05, 2008, 05:33:30 PM
ok.
i've got all the shows i'm behind on burned and i'm going to have to listen to them on the way to work and back, since i obviously can tmake time to sit down at the pc and do a detailed song by song.

got through the 1st set of this GEM today, and i gots to say i was VERY impressed.

if i had heard this before its been Years, so, basically new to me.

Buried alive>poorheart was MINT.
especially poor heart. i cant remember hearing this as a opener segueway before and i REALLY loved how it worked. FISH, from the jump bumped up the pace and they all just absolutely Ripped the poor heart, which usually as a stand alone song in a set just never really fits in, but as the second half of this duo made perfect sense to me and BLasted the show off like a firecracker!
julius following up made perfect sense, trhe intro brought down the vibe fro a quickey breather then kicked it right back into high gear. FISH again witht eh upbeat swing rocked this along for the trifecta rockin opener. totally worked for me here, and it was nice to get it out of the way while the momentum was goin, since its not a fav of mine.
CT&Bagain nice placement and playing by all, esp.page.
horse>silent now, i dont recall when drivin home that i didnt like this version and it was fine, but now that i think about it, i dont recall being exactyl blown away. maybe by 95 this song was slightly played out?
anyway, good pace changeup and placement, no real complaints like i said. and, i do recall still thinking this SHOw was freakin good by mid set.
SPLIT well, i'm a sucker for a good split, and this one wasnt GReat, but good enough, so, nuff said. some great modulations by trey, and FIsh still showing as the star of the set for me even with a few slight stumbles.
NICU
ok, sounds great and good placement, but i think this is where the set finally lost a little steam, not much and nothing by later day standards, but subjectively i started wondering more how the set would end and wasnt wrapped up completely as earlier.
GUMBO well, they got me with this one and picked any loss of steam right back up. great--though extremely short for what i'm used to--version. also, continues my feelings about FISH rulling the set.
SLAVE sweet choice. put this set over the top as far as a first set goes. about on the same level of quality as the SPLit IMO- B+/a-.
sweetadeline.

so. awesome. loved it. no complaints worth mentioning. Standout performance was FIsh as i mentioned, with page a close second and trey not slouching at all. actually nice to hear trey use effects in 95, when he didnt overdo it and combined them in a smart way with his traditional shreddage. now thinking back i guess Poor heart was the highlight for me, which makes no sense, but maybe it does...whatev, overall very solid first set with a great feel for 95, which usually i find a little uptight personally.
i give the set a B+/A-.

set 2.

love the Makisupa opener. kills two birds with one stone as far as puffing time  goes(set opener and makisupa).

bowie was the highlight of the set for me. excellent melodic version.

mango was nice, though i'm slightly sick of this song currently. a good bouncey version.

ice>kung>ice another good placement and execution. short kung, but more of strong FIshman in this one.

shaggy meh. whatev. at least its a song i havent heard much.

possum oh well, i guess this set isnt going to be one of my all time favs, but i dug the beat it tease and overall a decent possum.

lifeboy love this song... solid, but nothing over the top moving. i'll take it  any which way though.

amazin

bitch standard.

overall, i thought this show had mad potential after the first set and the first two songs of the second, but then it somewhat slided into mediocrity for me.
after bowie i was sayin A-, but by the end of the show it came out a B+.
generally nice playing and flow overall though and a fun show.
thanks!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sophist

Very sick fall 95 show.  I loaded this bad boy on my ipod before we started round IV.  I love the flow of this show and some of the versions really stand out from the tour.  The first set is a sure fire smoker
(**Fall 95 Fluff Alert**)
I always dig a BA opener and this takes off from the first note, sweet segue too.  Poorheart= poorheart, and the CTB has some sweet playing by Page.  Great trio to start the set.  Split is just buck nasty, major shreddage.  Gumbo and Slave also merit mentioning.  Like a I said, a sweet first set that had me grooving the whole time. 

Set II is a different beast, but a favorite set of mine too.  Makisupa > Bowie is the shit,  and I really love this segue.  Fucking Buttah.  The bowie smokes and the trill section always gives me goose bumps (in this version).  I'm always down for the mango song, and this version is good.  Ice sandwhich is solid as always.  Good segue into Kung, and back into ice.  Possum and bitch shred as well.  Great second set, with some nice highlights. 

I give this show a B+/A- rating.  Great pick.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

pnchundi

ned_ryerson

Like the week befores show i really really really enjoyed this one. Set one to me was just blazing and exciting from the minute that they went from BA to poor heart. what a great duo. I also have to admit i am a sucker for NICU. i cant help but enjoy the song. Set two was also great, i really enjoyed the bowie. It just brought me along for the ride without being too bloated. Ice has always been one of my favorite phish tunes. even a bad ice gets me going, and this one was by no means boring. i really enjoyed it, especially with the runaway golf cart marathon in the middle. i was not really a fan of the encore, i always feel like they are anti-climatic, and this one, well it fits the bill.
wait..what?

pnchundi

thats kinda short ned, but at least you are playing again  :wink: